Outdoor roof garden in the city working with wat I've got

Brought home another pansy it was dying it was all droopy so I watered it at work and it started to come back to life, took a few days off and decided to take it with me. I repotted it and it seems to be doing well, along with the bachelor buttons and zinnias

7 Likes

Very cool roof garden!
Hanging out with your plants is good for your spirits.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Watch out, I started with 1 or 2 container plants now I have like 30. lol Flowers are so rewarding and addictive! Are you feeding them yet? If they’ve been in soil for about 3 weeks now they are ready. Real soil and soilless mix, feed about every 2 weeks or so.

5 Likes

No haven’t feed them yet the happy frog soil I used did have some nutes in it already, they could prob use a lil feeding, I can see how addicting it is already trust me if I had the space I’d hav tons

4 Likes

Yes I love how relaxing it can be, not to mention they are pretty to look at happy growing

3 Likes

The bachelor buttons and zinnias are still going strong the bachelor buttons have really hung in there I’m a lil surprised at how good they have done just because it’s been cold and rainy alot not so worried about the rain more the colder temps at night but they seem to be loving it the zinnias not so much the ones that did manage to survive seem to be doing ok we shall see happy growing :seedling:
Bachelor buttons

Zinnias

8 Likes

The zinnias will take off once it warms up. Looking good

3 Likes

I was so excited about starting flowers as soon as april hit I jumped the gun a lil bit I think it was a colder then normal april around here we even had snow one night hardly had any all winter guess it wouldn’t be a new england spring without it lol, the pansies loved all the rain though they are doing great going to feed them some fish shit tomorrow :seedling:

5 Likes

Gave the flowers a nice feeding with some fish shit yesterday noticed some healthy new growth on the pansy that I rescued from work the other two are still going strong. The bachelor buttons are starting to take off left them in the window for a cpl days the weather was a lil shitty put those and the zinnias outside over the weekend to enjoy some sunshine

8 Likes

So I work rite next to a place called Gerry’s farm and they opened 2day so I snuck away
for a min and got 2 strawberry plants and a begonia :grin: this could be dangerous will have to practice self control I want one of everything lol

7 Likes

Do you know how to grow junebearing strawberries? You have to pull off all of the flowers the first year and not let it fruit. 2nd year big crop. Separate the runners and do the same. 1st year pull off flowers. So basically it’s like a permanent cycle. While you are pulling off flowers 1st year on new runner, mother plant is fruiting in 2nd year then pulled out etc… just an fyi

My plants are fruiting now on second year, but I still haven’t gotten a runner… so damn. lol

6 Likes

Oh and sorry, if I’m stepping on your toes and giving too much advice. Just a middle aged old lady who loves growing stuff. Can’t seem to help myself. lol

6 Likes

I had no idea after I bought them I started doing some research found out pretty fast I won’t be having any fresh strawberries this yr. Which is ok they will taste even better next year

And I dont mind at all I’m so new to gardening it’s really great having ppl to ask for advice along with tips and tricks much appreciated

3 Likes

Replanted the begonia into a 5 gallon pot they are so vibrant, it really brightens my day when I look out the window and see this little garden of container plants out on my mini side roof esp with the pandemic going on, it’s really the little things in life… this New England weather is starting to piss me off chance of possible snow mixed w rain fri night mother nature must of missed the memo that its May either that or she caught the Corona lol either way its unacceptable obviously I’m not a huge fan of snow that’s enough ranting for now stay safe and happy growing everyone

5 Likes

It really is the little things. Just walking by or sitting next to my flowers lightens my mood. It’s such a simple beauty. Just wait until the first flower starts to form on the ones you started from seed. You’re gonna do a flower dance. lol I’m super geeky about it and have to inspect my garden every morning looking for something new.

5 Likes

Yesterday I had a nice day in the garden first I repotted and spaced out the bachelor buttons now I have 2 containers of them lol I also planted some lavender in a mini hanging pot it’s all I could find atm along w some sweet basil and forget me nots.Still trying to find a cpl nice containers for the strawberries I only want to replant them once that way they can get some nice healthy roots established nothing to fancy I dont want the other container plants getting jealous lol

Lavender is hanging off the satellite dish actually have 2 out there neither is mine, basil is in the green, and the forget me nots are in the blue rectangular container

Street view

5 Likes

I bought a 7 gallon galvanized metal container for my 2 strawberry plant and drilled holes in it for drainage. It works really well

2 Likes

I’ll have to look online today or tomorrow. I do have a cpl 5 gallons I like the idea of putting them both in a 7 gallon more. Who am i kidding it’s just an excuse to shop :grin:

2 Likes

I bought something like this… It may have been the same one actually…

3 Likes

Did some transplanting today haven’t settled on a permanent container for the strawberries yet, had to get them out of the tiny pots these will do for now, also transplanted the zinnias along with the pansies they needed more soil so I put them in 5 gallon pots. Don’t think the basil, lavender, and forget me nots will make it we have had alot of night that are still dropping down into the low 30s I’ll try again once it finally gets warm

5 Likes