Outdoor roof garden in the city working with wat I've got

agreed…vectors for BUGS! Nice flowers thou…roof top garden also. I’d love to have a roof top garden. Tallest building where i live is the hotel…oh and the grain elevator. Still…nice flowers good job

3 Likes

Thanks for stopping by this is my first time trying out the roof garden or any gardening besides weed I have limited space inside and out so figured why not try this out. Cant wait till some of the ones I planted from seed start flowering. I’ve never even seen a grain elevator before lol I’m a city girl

3 Likes

out my bathroom window…

4 Likes

That’s awesome, I’m sure its nothing to you. I have a car wash and vacuum station out my bathroom window with a liquor store next to that. I’m over the city life, my dream is to someday get a small piece of land so I can grow a lil out doors, and of course have a real flower garden maybe a few animals nothing major, that a ways from now something to work towards

5 Likes

The pansy plant I rescued from work looks like it is finally ready to start flowering again it was touch and go there for a min lol no I wasnt sure why the new blooms where all drying up before even opening this little plant is a trooper that’s for sure. Then I was checking on the basil and was very pleasantly surprised to see it did make it threw those cold nights we had a few days after i had planted them, two have just barely popped up hopefully there’s more to come that’s all for now happy growing :seedling:

Pansies coming back to life

Sweet basil has desided to join the party

6 Likes

Those bachelors buttons reseed pretty easily year after year !

5 Likes

Had a nice little surprise this morning went out to check on the basil seedlings and noticed one of the buds on the rescue pansy opened. This has made my day so far, so glad I brought it home with me

This is what it looked like once I desided to bring it home (about a month ago) I thought this was an improvement from it being wilted

Almost forgot to put the basil pic up

7 Likes

When it starts heating up the pansies will die off. I don’t believe they will come back on there own in your zone as eventually you will frost. Here they keep coming back, they act as tender perennials. Enjoy the hell out of them while they last. I have a lot of them in my garden… just think they are so pretty and every little flower is just slightly different like snowflakes

5 Likes

I’ve had these for a year and a half now

7 Likes

It’s funny you say that I’ve noticed a few times the purple one esp looks flattened in the morning almost like something plopped down on top of it over night I keep trying to fix the dirt around it and bunch it back together I have come to the conclusion that they wont last all summer they are still worth the effort the smell and uniqueness along are enough for me, plus its a nice touch of color around here at the beginning of spring they tolerate the crazy weather extremely well…

I’ve noticed some of your pansies in the background of pics those are beautiful very nice

4 Likes

Today was such a beautiful day, one of the pansies has had it I think it’s all wilted and I noticed 2 seed pods that opened at least that’s wat I think they are. The rescue pansy is my favorite atm the flowers start off white then turn yellow then finish this beautiful purplish color. Since it seems like spring has officially arrived I desided to try planting more forget me nots, and lavender hopefully this time they take. The basil is slowly starting to sprout too very excited about that. The zinnias and bachelor buttons are growing as well glad they made it threw the transplant was worried it went a little rough.
Happy growing :seedling:
Rescue pansy

Zinnias

Seed pod on the purple pansy think shes had it

More basil starting to come in

Group pic

4 Likes

Just deadhead the seed pods and dead flowers. I think it will still flower more. If you can start your lavender under your grow lights it works best. Leave the seeds uncovered. They can take like 3 weeks or a month to sprout. Hardest plant from seed I’ve ever started.

4 Likes

@Meesh I’ve heard lavender can be difficult. I think I’ll start a new container planter, dont want to bring the one that’s been outside in the tent and risk any bugs getting in, will see if the outside one takes if it does great if not no worries as always thanks for the tips you’re like my garden guru :grin::seedling::purple_heart:

4 Likes

Almost forgot. Lavender from seed won’t bloom for a year. I have a white one called lacy frills and an english they just now got tiny blooms in pots. Those were from seed. I wanted one for the ground and just bought some french lavender that was already blooming this year. Remember not to cover seeds

2 Likes

O wow I didnt know they took a yr to bloom thats ok seems to be becoming a pattern just makes it that much more satisfying once they do finally bloom if they take we shall see, I have the English lavender I believe

2 Likes

Cpl different things happening on the roof the bachelor buttons are really starting to take off will probably transplant them on sunday the zinnias are growing nicely as well :grin:, and wen I was planting more forget me not seeds the other day I did notice 1 tiny seedling that made it from the first attempt and I just gently reburied it hoping it would take not thinking 2 much of it and it made it I’m over the moon :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. The strawberry plants are browning on the leaves not sure what’s going on with that I did move them to a spot that gets a little more shade @Meesh any advice is much appreciated, when I replanted them I added some great white mycorrhizae to the one without any flowers as an experiment to see if it would have any effect not sure if it has it has grow more leaves compared to the other one but then the other one has been flowering and I’ve been removing them and the other hasn’t had any and I dont see and buds forming on it either so idk we shall see, happy growing :seedling:

Bachelor buttons and zinnias

Rescue pansy

The forget me not that was from the first attempt

Strawberries with browning leaves

Group shot

6 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it. Mine die off and get new ones all the time

3 Likes

My Batchelor Buttons are almost done deal! :coffin: :confounded: :desert:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Oh no :disappointed_relieved: this is my first attempt at any of this. Well besides gardening with my dad when I was a kid. So I’m really learning as I go

2 Likes

Ok thanks got a little nervous for a second. The one I used the mycorrhizae on has been growing more leaves and looks healthy 2 me it only a little browning no flowers yet, compared to the other one but that one has been producing flowers I’ve plucked off about 4 or 5 so far thanks again your the best

4 Likes