Outdoor veggie and herb garden plans

I’m looking forward to this year’s grow, unfortunately being in the far north and in a 3B zone the amount of time I have to grow is very limited for optimal temperatures, Thus limiting what I am able to grow. This year I’m going to try a few new things but I am going to go back to the tried-and-true potatoes and corn which seem to thrive quite well in my Gardens.
So my list so far:
Blue Lake poke beans
Little finger carrots
Kennebec Potatos
Fingerling Potatos
Halona muskmelon
Delectable bicolor corn
Great Lakes iceberg lettuce
Valencia peanuts
Burgundy beans
Small sugar pumpkins
Olympia hybrid spinach

3 Likes

Do you have cold frames or a green house?

I am trying something new this spring. I have a few plants in veg now that are up for flip on 04/01. on 05/01 I’ll move them to my little green house and finish them there in roughly 12/12 sunlight and in 15 gallon containers. :smiling_imp:

I’ll have to have the heat and dehumidifier in there.

Start all the summer stuff as soon as there is room.

3 Likes

One of these days I’ll have a wonderful Greenhouse but due to circumstances I can’t have one at this point in time

3 Likes
2 Likes

You should try an early bumper crop with autos. I think that is where they will shine. I know a guy giving away some autos on this forum if your interested. :wink:

3 Likes

Sort of already mid-step.

I have some clones left from this last run and now 5 new seedlings/young plants coming along.

2 Likes

So, I ordered 6x 5-gallon fabric pots for my herb garden and some 14" heavy duty saucers. Last Wednesday (Feb 14) I got a delivery message, but couldn’t find the package or the delivery notice (usually will tell me where to look). I waited 36 hours and called Amazon. They got me sorted and shipped me my order and expedited the shipping. Yesterday (Feb 22) my bug man comes over. He sprays the back yard and when he cones back in, he says I had a package by my gate. Sure enough the UPS guy put the package in my back yard (one place I didn’t look). So now I have 12x 5-gallon fabric pots to fill. :grin: :laughing: :joy:

I bought a greenhouse from my neighbor for $50. It’s a 6x8 harbor freight deal and a little worse for wear, but I couldn’t pass it up for that price. Now time to make a little room and clean out the shed getting ready for spring. Maybe @99PerCent can help me figure it out. :thumbsup: :seedling:

3 Likes

I would be more than delighted. In fact, I would be willing to come and help you set it up, assuming you don’t live a million miles from here.

Show me pics and lemme know what your plans are.

99%

1 Like

My people!
I picked-up one of these 8x12’s when they were on sale last season. Gonna set it up when the ground thaws. I love that smell of plants growing in a greenhouse :seedling: haha. Now I can finally enjoy it at home :nose:

Been saving my own vegetable and herb seeds for years, selecting for suitability to my northern climate.

7 Likes

Hey bro,

Looks slick.

How about some stats on that baby.

Interested mostly in 2 things.

Heft of the panels and means of attachment.

Whatchu got?

:eye:

Sure thing , 99.
It’s this model I believe.
Panels are very light twinwall polycarb.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-Essence-8-ft-x-12-ft-Silver-Polycarbonate-Greenhouse-701944/203652588

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good looking design. The panels fit into channels in the framing. Glad it is not the silly little clamps. The framing has lots of little parts and pieces. I like the idea of setting the whole thing up on top of blocks. That bought me an extra 8" of head room: I also made a floor for mine so that I had an even surface. The ground will work, but might need to be leveled. That is unless you are planting in the ground??

1 Like

It’s pretty flimsy but we’ll see. Definitely got nothing on your beauty, 99.
I think I will make a floor with cement or wood to keep the bugs/weeds down.

I had sand down first, garden cloth on top of that and then the blocks on the floor.

Its really shed construction with a twist, and as a board banger, this was much easier than…

screw 147986 PDQ in Butt Jam Hole 742

3 Likes

You built a plant cathedral :church: :slight_smile: The pics gave me some great ideas too, thanks. Love how the kneewall gives you all that extra hight. :+1:
I must admit, I love a good Mechano set :wrench:

Very nice @99PerCent! Quite inspiring but looks pricey. You’ve been busy my friend.
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

It cost about $3,000 for me to build, which means, I would charge more to build it for someone else.

I grew a pound of respectable herb last summer. By the ounce, that paid for it. :money_with_wings:

99%

4 Likes