Overgrow Auto Chronicles : Chapter 1

Got 3 going right now. Trizzlers (actually courtesy of you passing them my way) has been into flower for awhile now but is a really small plant. My GR x CD auto in veg is about as big as the Trizzler and the BB auto isn’t much smaller still in veg.

My point? Grow more than one Trizzler in case they’re small!

3 Likes

Yeah I see others doing well with autos. I’m like WTF? Why can I not get this right?

2 Likes

I honestly don’t have an answer, even a joking one. Autos are pretty straight forward in my experience but like anything else I could have just lucked out so far. I do have some Lebanese I can’t get going. Just laid one that didn’t germ in a paper towel over 4 days in worm castings. That’s the closest I’ve come to an issue with an auto.

2 Likes

I grew 4 different auto strains (first time popping autos) and they seemed to do good at first, then they flowered very early and started going yellow and looking upset. Got about 7 grams off each of the first 2 I took down heh. Pressed into some nice rosin, but unsure why they got upset like they did.

1 Like

My experience is very small with autos.
First was grown by mistake and yielded shit. Then I tried a couple outside. All turned to shit except 1 that I limped along. Got about a half ounce of decent buds, not great but good. This time I’m trying 3 that are flowering but at 85 days I would think they should be about done. Still hairy and not very big plants. They are each about a foot tall and not very ‘bud-dy’ in my opinion. I did screw them up early on but was told the light schedule did not matter. Of course, the quality of light I was using really sucked.
Bottom line, I’m a bit disappointed in these autos. But I will not give up. I just don’t get it. I can grow regulars. Look at my grows. Not spectacular, but not too bad. Just these autos have me scratching my head lol.

3 Likes

From my limited experience, genetics are even more important in Autos.
Also, they are a bit more picky… No late transplanting, Topping not advised, etc. And sometimes you just get a runt, when those old recessive poor ruderalis genes pop up from time to time.

I’ve grown some that were amazing all-around (recently, the Mephisto Mango Smile… great yield, super healthy, great smoke), others were great bud with terrible yields (Snowryder, Auto Strawberry Cough) Some others, from our community, fall all over the spectrum - from Great to just OK.

Genetic drift is something I’ve been thinking about with autos lately… Someone smarter about breeding can chime in on this line of thought.

But it seems like an Auto strain that starts out as really good, may be sub-standard or the stuff of legends, by the time it hits F3.
It just could be completely different depending on who did the breeding?

Because you can’t save your exact mother and father plants as the starting blocks of a strain… like with photoperiods (you can really only keep the fathers pollen with autos, and that eventually runs out), I think trait stability in auto strains are susceptible to drifting a lot in a rather short period of time.

If you’re having bad luck, jump to a different breeder/strain and see what happens.
But maybe with autos, we can’t rely on a particular strain being great and stable for all-time? Maybe we need to jump loyalty more often?

For intstance… I think Reiko’s LRxUV was super. The Ultraviolet that he started with seems to have contained super-smelling genetics.
If I order Ultraviolet from Samsara today… will I be getting the same genetic starting point that he stated with?
Not sure… but unless I get seeds from the exact same F level that he started with… I think the answer is no.
And there is really no way to get back to that same exact starting point?

7 Likes

cannot step into the same river twice, huh?

very good points. it makes sense.

4 Likes

Can I send you my G13 genetics Dosidos reversed auto fem father crosses? Mother’s were Ethos Pluto cut R F3, Kera og Kush, and Master Sensei Genetics White Walker

6 Likes

Well genetic drift the thing is more you can’t really back cross it to say a mother plant to dial in the original you started with, sure you can reuse pollen maybe a second or third time and back cross that way, though in general your picking the next generation based on your choices some of it is luck some of it is breeding by choice and the latter comes down to experience which just takes time, and like myself i still figure i have a long long way to go and am just scratching the surface on that…

Also come the F2 gen alot of stuff start popping out and thats where care needs to be taken at picking offspring as imo at that point its very very easy to diverge from the original plants and is just compounded or locked in somewhat after that, now if the goal is just to make good plants then diverging from the originals is a possibility if better options pop up and is just part of it, so it also comes down to goals.

As for autos being pickier id say its more that due to their limited time span they don’t take kindly to too many or a consistent upsets or issues in their environment, where as say with a photo you can just veg it longer to compensate.

I will say autos have taught me to up my starting game comparability as if they get a good start say those first 3 weeks then they typically do well, barring what the genetic say anyways.

As for @BigMike55 you may have a bit more seeds coming your way in your letter just so you can play and burn through them as you play and learn, it will give the opportunity to cull early and run more if some go astray, also id bank more on the other type i included to be better than the trizzlers just as honestly the trizzlers i was just making f2’s so i could have more seeds and so they could acclimate to my environment for a gen before i could gauge them on a second run, i just made so damn many figured id share them though they are relatively unproven to me and this many be as far as i go with them.

9 Likes

I won’t say no though they they will be put aside till a later round so may be awhile before i can run them.

And i can send a DM if still willing.

2 Likes

Also its Day 0 on these, that one i tried helping wasn’t gonna make it so it was pulled it had tap root damage.

10 Likes

Thank you kindly sir.

1 Like

So, do you think we are losing anything by not using males in this project? :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

You can dm address and I’ll send em now or you can dm me when you’re ready for the next run and I can do it then, either is fine with me, they’ll just be chilling in the fridge for the time being so no rush.

I think your project is a super cool idea and I’m beyond excited to see what comes of it

3 Likes

Not really, other than having males in the offspring and who knows what they would add. Now like multiple gens later who knows.

And @TestOfOath I’ll get on that

4 Likes

Me either, it’s not like we smoke the males. When breeding for a drug cultivar I doubt the male brings a whole lot to the table. Maybe for seed production though…

3 Likes

Yeah makes it easier for seed production, only thing I can think of is maybe some loosing of specific genes over again lots of gens, but that would happen with excessive inbreeding whether fems or regs regardless.

Only one way to find out :wink:

6 Likes

I am keeping my eye on this!

Very committing totally randomizing things!

I don’t know that I could go that far myself :wink: but buried tags so that they can only be identified at/after harvest would strike a balance I could live with!

2 Likes

Wow just read the opener here this sounds awesome, pulling up a chair to watch this one go down for sure. I was just looking at my auto collection thinking I should bang some of the regular stock I have together, this is fueling the desire. Good luck! Stoked to see the show

2 Likes

Could of done that though I’d still know those tags are there and I check roots occasionally by depotting also wouldn’t truely randomize the pollen donors vs mother’s as I’d still have to plant them, well unless I got the lady to pick or do some swap and die roll thing where she could help with a cross reference sheet I’d get after harvest and assuming no errors were made along the way.

My thought on it is I’ve run so many strains that I’ve smelled “something” that the name would imply though taking away the name it wasn’t there or super minor or I’ve held onto plants that I normally wouldn’t cause I’ve attributed something to them or culled others for various reasons as I had impression from say siblings, it’s just the mind can be powerful and can easily trick you so I wanted to remove all that and just focus on if it’s a good plant it will show and otherwise not.

Also what I deem good is not the same for others and that’s where further gens would be interesting to see what is created by others and really linage doesn’t matter apart from attributions of previous peoples work or hand in things and why I listed what seeds were being used in the first place, or say going back for a replication which Isn’t the point as I like the whole definitive one time event as really your not gonna be able to truely replicate one may be able to get close but I think its better to move forward with good intentions and see how it goes.

7 Likes