PAC x RMH grow

I decided to grow my last 3 Marauder seeds. 2 have already sprouted a taproot. I’ll be starting them indoors and when spring comes I’ll get them outside gradually to avoid light stress.

My plan is to transplant every time they outgrow a pot. They’ll end up in a 25 gallon, a 15 gallon, and a 20 gallon pot. Ill have to do some maintenance on the 25 gallon though as the catnip took over big time. MF is surviving a heavy drought and below 32f weather.

That plan worked for Marauder the first time, so I’ll be repeating that to achieve the insane bushy monster plant I had the first time. I couldn’t stress it out no matter what I did to it. It just bushef out after topping. I try to HST it and it just was like give me more :expressionless: only Zelda was like that other than Marauder and I’m out of those seeds.

10 Likes

I also have a variegated rubber tree that’ll be given the same treatment as the Marauder plants. I had to buy it. Some asshat ripped a leaf and it was on clearance. From what I remember the best way to water a rubber tree is almost never, make sure to wipe the leaves free of dust regularly, and when ypu do water do it heavily(as long as the pot can drain excess). I had a 6 foot long one for years i kept in a 1 gallon pot. I didn’t know much about growing plants back then, so it sadly died of a combination of being rootbound, having no soil left, and root rot from overwatering. Also never pluck a leaf off. They will not grow a new leaf in that area.

11 Likes

One of the seeds shed it’s seed shell, so in the soil it went. It only had about an inch long taproot. Once i put it in soil, domed it, and put it under the light it actually looks to have doubled in size :smirk:

Before:

After:

5 Likes

I’ve had a few drop right out of their seed coat like that, leaving it floating on the water surface. The first time I freaked out,
but it doesn’t seem to cause them any problems, so now I’m just like "what are you doing skinny dipping!":rofl:

Sounds like a really awesome plant! I love big plants and resilient, determined ones. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

1 Like

2 out of 3 seeds cracked open, but one of the seeds that opened up isn’t really growing its taproot.

Aside from that I’m happy to say the 1st seedling is doing well and seems to not have any stress reaction to the soil conditions.

I’m also in the process of making a calcium fertilizer. I bake eggshells at 425f for 10 minutes, crush, then add 3 acidic ingredients. I use distilled white vinegar, citric acid, and vitamin C. I call it the forbidden milk lolll

3 Likes

The seedling isn’t growing that quickly, so I placed it under the light instead of to the side.

2 Likes

Sadly marauder died last night.

It wasn’t growing this whole time, so I’m not surprised. I have a PAC x RMH seed germinating now.

Long story short on the other 2 seeds: I no longer live there and getting my stuff is a PITA

2 Likes

The taproot has sprouted! Just a day or so more to get longer and I’ll sow it.

2 Likes

The taproot seems to grow fast. That’s a good sign I think. Sown in a 1 gallon pot with yarrow in the pot also.

3 Likes

They have risen!!!

1 Like

Between that last picture and this one it’s already started to grow single finger leaves

I don’t have a great light source over it right now, but honestly not a bad growth rate for a window plant. Though that right angle bend bugs me. I sowed it straight without angles and only gently covered with about 2mm of soil. Yet it’s spending energy on correcting itself anyways :roll_eyes:

Last night when I went to bed it was still bent, but this morning it’s stretched a bit and is mostly upright. I’ll try and order some lights online. Anything is better than nothing while my zxmean is trapped in the old apartment.

I have to buy a new hygrometer too

Well the humidity changed in a day from dry to 80% range.

The seedling has finished correcting itself and now can focus on growth. I have a light coming tomorrow. It’ll only get a little leggy.

Lights finally came in the mail!!! I dimmed them down a bit to adjust them to it. Now the grow will actually go faster than a snails pace

The supposed micromoles per meter per second is 56. 56 umol/s is basically a nice sunny day outside, so I’m sus that this light is anywhere close to that. Though the seedling immediately responded to it.

Def Sus :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s already straightening. Definitely a good sign.

I have lemon balm again too

Also chocolate mint and a mystery plant idk anything about that popped up all over.

2 Likes

Well there’s no change to the seedling, but the chocolate mint is dying back at the tops. Now I’m really curious about how much light this gives off

Can you lower it? I’d try to increase the intensity

56 umol is very low, not at all similar to sunlight. I thought sunlight was in the 1000-2000 umol range.

2 Likes

Honestly the reference for umols is a mess. Sometimes it’s the same thing as PAR and other times it’s an entirely different thing. Also no i can’t lower them. The plants are getting burned though, so I’m not bringing them closer. For now I’ve dimmed them. The chocolate mint needs less light apparently.

I’ll be buying a 1000+ PAR light soon, but this should be good enough to keep things from dying on me until I can swing the cash for it.

1 Like

Well it seems dimming tbe lights was the trick. The chocolate mint started growing noticeably after 8 hours. The seedling also seems to have fatter leaves too.

2 Likes