Paonia Purple Paralyzer seed run "CLOSED"

I am at this very moment setting up a 2x4 tent in my basement to put the males in. Got a 4" cloudline and going to use a Viparspectra XS2000 light that the company just sent me to test. Will give me 30 watts per square foot so should do the job well. I am going to collect all the pollen I can and fully seed 2 of the ladies. Whatever is left can be stored or given away. I want to keep one female as smoke. Likely the runt that tried so hard to come back. Will update some pics when I get it done. Just a lazy Saturday :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Damn Doug how do I get people to send me a light to test stuff.

2 Likes

Par Annoy ya :smirk:

1 Like

I guess you reach out to them. It’s odd, this is the second time a company reached out to me. First Mars, now Viparspectra. I won’t touch something I don’t believe will do the job and won’t be a shill for anyone but I am willing to give things an honest test. They actually wanted me to do an XS1000 test and I turned them down. Told them my spare tent needed an XS2000 and than the darn thing just showed up on my porch. I am quite surprised that these places come asking me to do stuff in my humble grows since there are clearly so many better, more experienced and larger scale growers out there. But I am always up for a challenge. I will post up some pics of the Male solitary confinement space later tonight. Out of likes again :frowning:

14 Likes

That’s pretty awesome man, also out of likes

5 Likes

Yeah, have not heard much positive about the Viparspectra folks but it seems like they are upping there game. This light is rectangular so perfect for a 2x4. Uses an HLG Meanwell driver, Samsung 301b diodes and has a built in dimmer with a good ribbed heat sync. Everything spec wise says this baby will get the job done so I am hopeful. We shall see.

4 Likes

Keep in mind collecting pollen adds variables to the breeding process.

If you have male and female plants growing together, you will get seeds every time with no chance of failure.

If you don’t have experience collecting pollen, I would suggest you keep the males around until you are sure that your selective pollination was successful. Maintaining viability of collected pollen is tricky, and depends a lot on your environmental conditions, and very careful handling.

5 Likes

Because you have the luxury of a second flower tent to isolate your males, I would suggest you set up a simple filter on your ventilation for the male tent to prevent accidental pollination.

You can use a cheap and readily available furnace filter.
Any filter merv 8 or higher will effectively catch the airborne particles of cannabis pollen. This will prevent accidental pollen, and in my opinion it is a good health precaution to prevent particulates in the air in your home.

You can use a vent hose gasket or tape to seal an appropriately sized piece of filter material on your vent intake that pulls air out of the tent.

3 Likes

The problem is than the pollen will likely contaminate the whole room, seed the plant I want to keep as bud and possibly seed my auto tent. Even with a filter system I still have to open the tent which is 3 feet from the other. I would assume just unzipping a tent with pollinated males would release pollen into the room would it not?

Also what are these challenges you speak of? What are the issues maintaining viability of pollen? Perhaps you can walk me through your process before I get further along? What are the environment conditions you speak of and what do you consider careful handling? This is my first seed run, would love some input.

Perhaps it would make sense to take the females down to the male tent for a day or 2 each and keep moving them back and forth? That would allow them to spend time in the same space but not keep makes in my main room? Does not sound like a viable option?

7 Likes

My friend. Your forgetting what I’ve been talking about for mycology.

Take a 20 x 20 box fan. Duct tape a 22x22 merv 13 filter to the back side. You now have an air filter capable of removing basically all particle sizes down to .5 micron from an entire room in minutes. Put it blowing away from your flower tents when in your male tent.

Your pollen needs to be dry and cool. A regular freezer should keep it viable for up to 6 months.

8 Likes

If you set up filters on the intakes of any tents in the same room, that should be effective to filter the pollen that escapes when you open the male tent. Just set up filters on any intakes that pull air from the room into the tent.

Make sure to water and tend to any plants you don’t want seeded before you open the male tent.

Also what are these challenges you speak of? What are the issues maintaining viability of pollen?

The challenges are:

completely separating plant material and pollen pods from the collected pollen powder.

drying the pollen to approximately %15 humidity without impacting viability

storing at ~%15 humidity to maintain viability

Perhaps it would make sense to take the females down to the male tent for a day or 2 each and keep moving them back and forth? That would allow them to spend time in the same space but not keep makes in my main room? Does not sound like a viable option?

that would certainly work, but I would never attempt something so labor intensive.

It is usually very reliable to cut a flowering branch or branch segment off of the live flowering male, and pollinate your females with it right away while it is fresh.

Perhaps you can walk me through your process before I get further along?

Lefthandseeds or yobigdaddy would be great guys to talk to about this, they have both had success collecting pollen and maintaining good viability.

edit- @anon93244739 is right a filter fan setup like that is very effective at getting rid of ambient pollen that might escape.

6 Likes

Daaaaamn seeding two full plants? Your gonna be seed poor for a min…should be plenty left for trading after you give away all you can. Now I’m thinking of seeding something out. I have some alien og , some Tahoe og, some lemon skunk x black dosi fire, thank you very much, some orange grove I could plant then seed OR I could take some sour diesel x lemon skunk pollon my buddy gave me and hit the matanuska thunder Fuck he gave me also. Does it look like there’s still time to do it and get seeds

10 Likes

I think that female is a little too late to seed, most of the pistils have already faded orange so there are not many pollination sites left for you to hit. It also looks a little too mature, not sure they would ripen successfully.

3 Likes

Man, I totally forgot about these, how could I do such a thing

5 Likes

They have been flowering for 2 months

2 Likes

The idea is to put my male tent in my basement while my flower tent is in a bedroom on top floor so no real worry about contamination. It seemed like a logical choice for mitigating contamination. For the pollen I bought a little dehumidifier to put in some Tupperware to help remove any moisture from the pollen. I also bought a pollen shaker to help remove the plant material form the pollen. I have a 4" Clouldline Infinity for filtering the outgoing air from the male tent. I will speak with @lefthandseeds some. I am open to switching things up a bit. The folks here with experience in such things know more than I. I am just using logic but no experience to figure this out so I am really appreciative for the input and you guys taking the time out the give me some input. Thanks @zephyr and @anon93244739.

12 Likes

definitely too late, it takes at least 30 days for seeds to ripen. You’ll want to harvest before then, and the female might not live long enough. Harvest time = senescence aka plant death. Once they are ready to harvest, if you don’t pick and dry them the only thing left for them is death and compost.

2 Likes

I am not experienced in this but with my limited knowledge I would say it’s a bit far along at this point.

1 Like

I’ve got these two smaller ones , I was hoping that the spring sun would put them back into vegging. Will they veg or die? I heard you can reveg under indoor light, will the sun do the same?

3 Likes

I would think so. It’s not light but rather lack of light that gets the plants to change so I doubt the source makes much difference. Light and dark periods are light and dark periods as far as I know.

1 Like