Pest ID please

Years ago I had spider mites… identified by the webbing when found late. I find myself with another issue and I could use y’alls assistance in ID and treatment.

Started with taking in a cut… yeah, I know. Last few weeks have been treated with Dr Zymes a few times per. This is the only plant iv found them on but I’m treating EVERYTHING, even the clones.

Take a look and help me out please.

3 Likes

That is shaped like a thrip. Spinosad will kill thrips organically.

4 Likes

I see all kinds of products that say they contain spinosad, is there a few better know products that are recommended? I’d like to nip this in the bud…

Thanks @buzzmobile I did a quick search and thought the longer shape look like thrips also but no experience with them.

2 Likes

This is the stuff I’ve been using recently:

It’s highly concentrated, you don’t need nearly that much. Also, microb-lift is another brand. I’ve found that the mosquito bits trick to not work all that great.

2 Likes

do you see any silvering with black spots? It’s hard to see the insect in the photo.

3 Likes

I can see thrip frass. Those black spots. A few years ago I had thrips. It was so easy to get rid of. I think I caught it early. Defoliated a bunch. Then hit it with one application if spinosad mixed per the instructions and got a good soak on the plants. Had a 360 spray nozzle so I was able to get under the leaves with ease.

I hear people who struggle so I think that combination/chain of events helped a lot

3 Likes

Thrips for sure 100%!

If you do chose to use a Spinosad(Conserve SC, Dr Zymes…)product be careful when used(veg only) and it will show up in a test… A lot of folks refuse to use it because of this…we don’t know the long term effect on humans. It is however used in animals(dogs, cats…)as a de-lice medicine. Little back story…Spinosad A/D was found in the Virgin Islands at a old rum distillery, the only place on earth!

But the thrips will die very quickly. Use every 4-5 days. 2-3 applications and gone for good!

Neem oil is another product that will work…but again the cannabis plant is very efficient and will hold on to it. Some folks even have allergies to it!

So be careful if using either products…I won’t use unless I have to keep a strain and one that will not be run for a while so it won’t end up in the final product.

We don’t want to potentially poison anyone! We’re here to heal folks.

There are organic foliar sprays you can mix up that will work well as long as you don’t have an infestation…that’s probably the best route to take! Buildasoil and others have info like this.

Hope this helps

Brian(Alaskagrown)

2 Likes

Where is proof it lasts if sprayed in veg? Its approved in tobacco crops. Which is smoked.

2 Likes

Physical Properties and Environmental Fate

Spinosad is a secondary metabolite from the aerobic fermentation of S. spinosa on nutrient media. Following fermentation, spinosad is extracted and processed to form a highly concentrated conventional aqueous suspension for ease of use and distribution. Spinosad is a light gray to white crystalline solid with an earthy odor similar to slightly stale water. It has a pH of 7.74, is stable to metal and metal ions for 28 days, and has a shelf life of three years as formulated material. It is considered nonvolatile with vapor pressures around 10-10 mm Hg. Table 1 summarizes other physical and chemical properties of spinosyns A and D (Anonymous, 1996).

The degradation of spinosad in the environment occurs through a combination of routes, primarily photodegradation and microbial degradation to its natural components of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen. The half-life of spinosad degraded by soil photolysis is 9-10 days. It is less than 1 day for aqueous photolysis and leaf surface photolysis results in a half-life of 1.6 to 16 days. The half-life of spinosad degraded by aerobic soil metabolism in the absence of light is 9-17 days. Hydrolysis does not contribute significantly to degradation as spinosad is relatively stable in water at a pH of 5-7 and has a half-life of at least 200 days at a pH of 9. The leaching potential of spinosad is very low due to a moderate Kd (5-323), low to moderate water solubility and short residual in the environment. Thus, it does not pose a threat to groundwater when used properly and no buffer zones are required by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (Saunders and Bret, 1997).

Development of Spinosad and Attributes of A New Class of Insect Control Products

Spinosad General Fact Sheet

2 Likes

I believe i see a lighter tan color, with my readers on…

OK, i mixed up a stronger batch of Dr Zymes last night. I had originally started with the preventative ratio, now a bit over 1oz to 32oz distilled.

Thanks for the input guys, very much appreciated.

I use btk on the thrips, it wipes them out in one go. Careful you don’t get reinfested, though.

1 Like

Yes, good point. Certainly start with something that has less potential to cause other issues. Though, if you find that your current regiment is not controlling the problem, then consider ratcheting up but first understand the product.

I’ve had excellent results with Spinosad as a knock-down for a persistent thrip problem where I was able to clear the problem in one application (with a second application a number of days later to ensure the lifecycle was covered).

For reference:

The US EPA has studied spinosad and categorizes it as such (Spinosad.pdf (2.5 MB) ):

Spinosad is often referenced in the literature as a “biorational” pesticide (e.g., Jiang and Mulla 39 2009; Marina et al. 2012; Nowak et al. 2001). The term biorational pesticide is generally used to designate pesticides that involve low application rates and few nontarget effects (Hall and Barry 1995; Horowitz et al. 2009). Consistent with the use of this term in the open literature, the U.S. EPA/OPP (2015a) designates spinosad as a “reduced risk” pesticide—i.e., a pesticide that generally poses fewer risks to humans and other nontarget organisms relative to conventional pesticides.

For spinosad, the half life is published to be somewhere between 1-16 days depending on the environment. You’d want many ‘half-lives’ before using the final product.

As an example, maximum limits for spinosad on a finished product is 0.1 PPM (CA) SC-Pesticide-Reporting-Limits.pdf (499.0 KB) which is fairly strict. The suggested application rates for thrips with Conserve SC (11.6%) is ~3ml / gallon. Or, (3ml * 11.6%) / 3.785 L = 90 PPM.

Allowing a natural half-life degradation to achieve the reporting limit, we’d be looking at between 9.7 to 157 days to achieve 0.1PPM based on the range of 1-16 days half-life and 90 PPM on the plant surface. This is environment dependent with sunlight or moisture speeding up the process. The half-life can increase as well.

This paper: es500434p.pdf (2.2 MB) studies the half-life of numerous pesticides on crop with spinosad coming in at a half life of 4.47 days. Under similar conditions, this would amount to 44 days to achieve a 0.1PPM.

Conserve.PDF (33.9 KB)

4 Likes

Please id ?

thrips. They are irritating but won’t lead to crop failure.

1 Like

Should i or can i leave them be?

Is there any downside to them before i dive into research

They’ll cause damage to the leaves, making white patches.

1 Like