Should i start over?

So I’ve been noticing these spots on the leaves, after doing a little research i believe i have i thrips. Last week on the 9th while I was taking pictures of this deep ellum blue bonnet i saw something moving :flushed::fearful::scream:!! Is that a thrip???
I’m almost 4 weeks in since flip and I think its too late to start any foliar spray treatment. Should I just kill them and start over?? What about my soil? I’m not sure what to do right now… any suggestions?

8 Likes

Hmmm I dont know what it is but I dont think I would throw in the towel just yet. If it is thrips there are a number of ways to treat it. Dont worry tho someone will be along here shortly to help diagnose this I’m sure of it

4 Likes

Do you have a 60x or 100x viewer to get a better idea what it is or causing it?

3 Likes

I’m hoping I don’t have to kill them.

1 Like

I do have a good zoom on my camera but wasnt using it when I took these pics, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find that thing again. It knew I was trying to get it and hid from me. Ill see if I can find anything before my lights shut off.

3 Likes

I hate to say it because the holistic medicine police might yell at me. I’ve sprayed neem later in flower. It was diluted and no one was ever the wiser. It helped me limp through until harvest when I had a small spider mite outbreak. I used a small spray bottle and hand sprayed every fan leaf thoroughly…let me stress this word again…thoroughly. If you hit everything top and bottom and remove most of most infected area, you can make it.

Also, thrips can be blasted off by a high pressure hose outdoor. This would get rid of some of the adults.

Edit: Find out what the life cycle of thrips are. I spray every day for 7 days for mites. That is my procedure.

6 Likes

thrips aren’t even that bad, if it was an infestation they’d be everywhere flying around your space.

Spinosad worked for me, one or two sprays of that and no more bugs.

I sprayed my plants every day with a hose when they had spider mites,

start over cuz one thrip, lol.

4 Likes

Spinosad works great. I’m not against Pyganic (pyrethrins) for a plant in Veg. Especially outdoors. I like to cycle neem/spinosad/pyganic if I have a problem. Something new every day. I rarely have a problem after a week of this spray.

Of course I would never recommend this for a plant late in flower.

Edit: I grow for me and a few others who I am totally transparent with on my IPM.

4 Likes

Like others have said, thrips are easy to deal with. Since you’re early in flower, get some Captain Jack’s Deadbug Brew (spinosad) and spray it today and again in 10 days. You’ll be fine and it won’t affect the flowers.

Also, you could just let it ride for your plants in flower. If you just started seeing them, they won’t be full blown infestation by the time you harvest, but beware they will infect the rest of your garden outside of flowering, so start spraying there immediately. Sticky traps help if you don’t want to spray anything.

4 Likes

That pic above is a thrip. They are soft bodied and pretty easy to desiccate on contact with a product that had etoh. Start with regular spinosad but you may want to try a couple of doses of Plant Therapy which is my new go-to pre-flowering. Careful because it DOES have isopropyl alcohol in it.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone who replied and thanks for the confirmation! I have some monterey garden insect spray, and I’m going to give my girls a good spray this evening, although I really like the idea of just letting them ride it out until they are finished, I really want to see what happens after I spray as I never done it this far into flower.

2 Likes

I had thrips on my tomatoes last year…soapy water kills’em. They live in soil, on plant, and look different as they develope into adults. They go from on the plant to in soil and back to plant again…instars and pupae. Cant remember…lol…easy to get rid of. Dont let them get a foot hold…larvae fall from plants on to soil floor walls etc…i used soapy water, hydrogen peroxide .5% thats point 5 % not 5 %. Point 5…lol perox also kills fungus gnat larvae as well. So keep that in mind. Perocide and vinegar works good too

2 Likes

Do you think I should water my soil/plants with the same mix I just sprayed on them?? All I used was monterey garden insect spray and aloe vera powder, so should i just dump what’s leftover in the soil???

it won’t hurt it

spinosad is a bacteria, so It’ll live in the soil and disrupt the life cycle of whatever bugs are in there.

When you spray be generous, get the plants really soaked. You’re early enough in flower should be fine.

4 Likes

I think I sprayed them pretty good, i also sprayed the top of the soil. They were drooping pretty tough after the spray, one was even about to fall over, hopefully it was enough. Thanks again for the info.

1 Like

Totally normal…after youbspray your plants they will always droop like that bud

1 Like

I think spinosad is not good for soil if you water it in so dont. It dripping on the soil is ok. Spraying soil with ut is a waste. Wont do anything might even be negative for micro beasties…id spray a few different types of products…like i said water and soap…use liquid castle or ivory theyre best… quit fretting over it…dont kill the plants and start over…

These things happen keep up on spraying. Spray twice a day…keep on top of them check under leaves stems stalks every part of the plant top to bottom…they get a foot hood you will get bud just not as much. They arent going to screw you over unless they vector in a mosaic virus or tospovirus…then yeild and potecy coukd deminish…killng them instead of your plants is priority one. KEEP ON TOP OF THEM!! SPRAY TWICE A DAY MAYBE THREE. please quit freting over it…its not the end of the world brotha…peace

1 Like

Oh one more thing try to make sure you pull the lights up. Bring them up so they dont burn your leaves. Water on leaves is like a magnifying glass on paper. Burn holes in your leaves seriously mess up your chlorophyl production

2 Likes

Yea i made sure I brought the lights up i was scared they would get all burnt up.

One more thing get control of your environment. Get an ipm program giing. Insect pest management!

I would spray the whole room top to bottom while your grow is finishing. A through cleaning at the end…these buggers can be a bitch if you font clean clean clean

Where is your grow? Thrips like grass. Have ever mowed your lawn and hone into your grow room straight away?

1 Like