pests late-ish in flower

Hi all,
Ive got an infestation of, I think, mites, and I’m six weeks into flower, so not sure of either what I can/should do, or what’s at risk by doing nothing. I started noticing the issue - predominantly white spots on the leaves, a few weeks ago and most reading led to possible spider mites, but until now, I have seen no evidence of bugs on the undersides of the leaves, so thought there was some possibility of a light/heat issue (it’s hot! - 88-90F). A sported once with neem oil about 2-3 weeks ago. Since then, the symtpoms have progressed and I can clearly see bugs drawing. The pics don’t capture the bugs super well - some kind of look like holes in the leaves, which Im sure exist too. pics attached. Any guidance appreciated. Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

I just wiped out a bunch of these today.Same bugs.Only one one of my plants.Fortunately I’m in veg and not bloom.I filled a 5 gallon bucket of water and put in half a cup of dish soap and half a cup of 90% ISO alcohol.I used two paper plates syran wrapped to the base of thr pot and stuck it in upside down on two sticks for a half hour agitating every 5 minutes to wash thr bastards off.Sucks your in flower

1 Like

Sad. Pics are awful but these look like broad mites from what can be seen of them… no webbing and no visible spots.

1 Like

Throw a couple of hundred live ladybugs in there and pray sorry man :frowning:

2 Likes

I don’t know if it helps the prognosis or plan, but I’m pretty sure they are red spider mites. What is harder to see via a pic is they underside of the leaves have a bunch of definitely red tiny dots crawling around. The damage on the top side seems to be consistent with other photos I see. For what it’s worth, the buds look good…so far. Open to ladybugs if you guys think that will help. I had added a bunch of beneficials last season, but no idea how that population is doing. I see people talking about treating with azamax - thoughts on that or any other treatments?

1 Like

I tried lady bugs to far into flower for aphids and it helped a little, but not much. The lady bugs even reproduced in the closet, and the nymphs are even better at eating stuff. BUT, once you have buds, they cant get around them like the smaller bugs can, and the ladies wouldn’t cross over trichome covered buds. So I’d end up with some parts of the stalks clean of aphids but everyplace by an actual bud the aphids were free to do their thing.

2 Likes

Azamax is associated with some pretty negative stuff, I wouldn’t do it.

AzaMax.pdf (52.4 KB)

It’s been a suspected cause of ‘cannabis hyperemesis syndrome’.

3 Likes

Here is Mr. Bob Hemphill’s take on “what do you do if you’re organic and you get an infestation mid flower question.

Lower temps below 77 (leaf surface IR). Find a product containing proper ratios of magnesium, sulfur, boron, molybdenum, nickel. Feed a bit of sugar. The bugs are there because your plant has haulted nitrogen metabolism. Ketosis for plants. Whatever the term is. Catabolic. It’s not making sugars, it’s making ammonium.

There’s probably no product on the market. I don’t give recipes because people question them and will never use anything but pesticides anyway. Pot smokers in 2022 love smoking pesticides.

1 Like

Boron you say. Tell us more…

3 Likes

I’m not “people”, I’m “person” and I wouldn’t question until after I’d tried and failed with one of your recipes. :hugs:

I’m super curious and super interested. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Will listen today - thanks.

Is your thought that nitrogen metabolism has slowed / stopped because of heat and lack of micronutrients and are you basing the statement predominantly on the presence of bugs? I will lower the temp, but won’t be able to get it down by much this round since the envelope room is prob 74. I can turn the light down and if feeling ambitious, can move the driver to outside the tent, which should be worth a few degrees. Regarding the nutes, the only thing I have been feeding with is Foop Canna, which is derived mostly from fish poo, kelp, sea water, so is very diverse. They don’t list all o the micros individually, but I would expect most of the above bases are covered. The sweetener def has 8 sugars. I have a copy other things I can add as well to better ensure diversity. My concern is I only have a couple of weeks until full maturity, so a plan like this, which is the kind I am drawn toward, likely takes more time to have any effect than I have. Good info nonetheless. Thanks!

At 6 weeks if they were mine I would just ride it out and let them finish and make bubble hash.

Maybe you can blast your plant with a hose to slow them down.

Some might suggest washing your buds.

Chemicals - that’s your call.

Cheers and good luck.

3 Likes

I would heavily defoliate, that would take away many of them along with food and eggs. Keep temperature low and humidity high. … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

100% :arrow_double_up:

I know it sounds crazy but you can also use a handheld vacuum or similar (lower powered) vacuum and go over the remaining vegetation after defoliating to get rid of a bunch of eggs and pests.

Test a small area to make sure your vacuum doesn’t dislodge any vegetation.

I would also check out the post below for some great organic IPM recipes going forward.

Judging by your infestation bubble hash would be a great idea. I had a really bad infestation awhile back. I was able to knock it down after trying all kinds of organic methods. FYI Dr. Zymes was the one that actually did exactly what it said and killed those little bastards… I believe you can get a free sample from their website also. Anyway, I thought I was good and could save the bud after my “Mite War”. I was wrong… I should have turned all of it into bubble hash…

You can check out @JoeCrowe’s post below for some great tips.

Hope everything works out :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

I found it hits them in the gullet if you take your plants in for a quick shower. It won’t wipe them out, but it knocks them back for a bit. One plant had it and the others didn’t, so I was able to shower that plant and prevent the spread of mites to the others. It sounds strange when I type that in, but that’s what happened!

2 Likes

I have had good results using a vacuum cleaner on fungus gnats but I never tried it with mites.

1 Like

Oh snap! …Thanks for reminding me…

I also put some isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel and place that in the collection area of the vacuum. Not soaked just misted well… When they get sucked up they end up with the alcohol towel which tends to shorten those little bastards lives…

I like it… Defoliate, Vacuum and then give the plants a shower…

2 Likes

Teamwork! Just finished a shower, shave, and a vacuum…not in that order. Feeling good about this - or at least as is relative. I keep spraying with plain water nightly to hopefully make it harder/slower for them to rebound.

2 Likes