Ipm recipes and schedules

Hey there overgrow! A few members asked me to do a write up some of my ipm recipes and schedule to keep my garden as pest free as possible. Thought it would be a great idea to see how everyone else is also dealing with pests and there prevention methods, for me I’m an organic gardener my recipes are going to follow as such but would love to hear from all spectrums as not everyone grows using the same methods I try to keep mine as simple as possible and big into keeping up prevention to minimize the potential for outbreaks as it’s much easier then trying to eradicate an issue knock on wood but I’ve been pretty lucky and have yet to deal with some of the more serious pests such as spider mites but have gotten rid of a small aphid infestation thrips gnats with some of my methods.

First off my recipes:
Citrus ferment insecticide/pesticide-

foliar/root drench
This recipe is very similar to the brand dr zymes it uses yeast and citric acid as the main components of attack
Step 1 - chop and dice/mince your lemon peel you are wanting fresh non contaminated with mold fruit or it may spoil during the fermentation process
Step 2- measure out all ingredients(sugar,yeast,peels etc)
Step 3- add all ingredients to a clean container I used a glass jar from goodwill but I assume plastic would work as well
Step 4 - add a cover too your container to allow it to breath for the fermentation process and to prevent bugs from contamination I used paper towel but cheese cloth would be a wonderful option if available
Step 5 - the waiting game the pictured recipe above says to wait 2.5 weeks but it depends on temperature you want your peels to be browned for maximum extraction strength I made my batch over winter time and went closer to 3.5 weeks after about a week you will see a white Pellicle form this is a good sign it’s working you do not want to see any green or black on the Pellicle what a good example looks like
Step 6- after fermentation strain solids add apple cider vinegar and store sealedin fridge for up to one year before it starts to lose potency
Step 7 for application use 2 oz per gallon of clean water this like zymes is photo toxic so use only during **lights out **

Recipe 2 - Hot Pepper spray pesticide: image foliar/root during veg only
2 tbsp Crushed Garlic
2 tbsp Cayenne Pepper (I did not have Cayenne so I replaced with fresh diced Habanero, 1/2 c worth)
2 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes or Crushed Red Pepper
1 L of Chlorine free water (I used 56oz of Water as I wanted more of a concentrate to store and for later use)
1 tsp Olive oil

Add all ingredients to a pot with the water and bring to a boil to break some bonds and release the capsaicin. Let cool to room temp then put in a container to steep over night. Strain off solids and store in a cool dark location in a sealed bottle.

I dilute 2oz to 1/2 gal for application.

WARNING: Wear gloves, goggles and a mask when preparing/applying the Hot Pepper spray. If the capsaicin gets on you and you touch a sensitive area (eyes, nose, mouth, genitals) you will regret it for a long time🤣

Recipe 3: essential oil spray foliar only
1 gallon on non chlorine water
10 drops of dr Bonner peppermint soap (can also use aloe as emulsifier)
3 drops of peppermint oil 3-5 ml
3 drops of oregano oil 3-5 ml
3 drops of rosemary oil 3-5 ml
Spray after lights go off

These are my sprays I keep in rotation for preventive care I tend to give 1 of the recipes above about once every 5 days.another thing I use in my ipm rotation is mosquito bits or also known as bacillus thuringiensis I water in as directed on package once every 10-12 days to keep any gnat population under control

I’m also a huge fan of predatory insects for use in ipm I have amassed a good colony of rove beetles for free from my worm bin but swear by the little guys they do a great job and take care of an array of pests. With great success I have also used amblyseius cucumeris in combination of the citrus spray to overcome a thrip infestation

Another great success I have also seen with my grow is the use of insect frass I get my frass fresh from my colony of mealworms and mealworm beetles when frass is used it gives off a Systemic acquired resistance (SAR) is a mechanism of induced defense that confers long-lasting protection against a broad spectrum of microorganisms. SAR requires the signal molecule salicylic acid (SA) and is associated with accumulation of pathogenesis-related proteins, which are thought to contribute to resistance. in short makes the plant think it’s under attack causing it to up its own defenses

These are some of my tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way what’s yours?!

42 Likes

@Vagabond_Windy @Dr.VitaminGreen @nube @Cartwright @Chiefer88 @minitiger @iamyou_youareme

8 Likes

@DesertHeartGardens that’s funny I just listened to an episode on From the Stash podcast about this exact thing. I’m definitely gonna follow this recipe. Thanks

3 Likes

Awesome post! Great recipes!

I’m waiting for my wife to make lemonade to get the citrus ferment going.

I have a few pounds of habaneros frozen as well.

Gonna fuck these aphids up :boxing_glove:

8 Likes

very cool, thanks for compiling this information and sharing it here, dhg. i like how you’ve presented a few different sprays for rotating use as well.

can you clarify whether these are used as foliar sprays or soil drenches, or both? and if foliar, are there any of the sprays you feel comfortable using during flower? thanks!

3 Likes

@DesertHeartGardens so use these 3 recipes once a week until flower right? After that it’s probably not a good idea to spray unless you absolutely have to right?

2 Likes

Added foliar or root to the above post great catch the hot pepper spray I only use in veg don’t want the buds smelling like garlic :joy: as a precaution I don’t like to spray anything past week 2 of flowering but the citrus ferment is safe full term and would be safe to smoke after use in flowering

5 Likes

Correct I pretty much do once a week as preventative if I see any sign of pest pressure or anything concerning I will up the regimen and do once a day to every other for a week(or until no sign of pressure)to eliminate anything of concern

4 Likes

Bookmarked, thanks so much @DesertHeartGardens

You can type in IPM and go look everywhere and it’s a mess of info to try and lock down, so I really appreciate you making it so clear and concise, and with pictures.

:peace_symbol:

3 Likes

icon_e_surprised|nullxnull
You mean it kills bugs and eggs? gun_gun Will be great to have as artillery, thanks for sharing … beer3|nullxnull

6 Likes

Yes! the citrus and hot pepper spray works great at killing eggs and soft bodied insects :grin: @George1961

5 Likes

Sweet! Thanks for tagging me.

When you say “drops,” what do you mean? I’ve got a couple droppers, I think they both go up to thirty milliliters, but I don’t use them. I just use teaspoons, tablespoons etc.

Also, no neem anywhere, huh? Haha. Interesting. I foliared with the wood vinegar last night, been glancing at the plants today. I didn’t expect to see immediate results, but I am hoping to see some results at some point. Might try that garlic/cayenne pepper/olive oil recipe soon. I’m kind of running outta time before I have to flip if I wanna maintain my yearly grow schedule, so I gotta do something here pretty quick. I don’t have time to try the fermented citrus peel thing this round, but I’ll try it next round.

2 Likes

hey there sorry i should of been more specfic on measurements on that one i bought a few of these bottles off amazon to use there like glass eye droppers https://www.amazon.com/DropperStop-Dropper-Bottles-Tapered-Droppers/dp/B073SHXGT5/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=essential+oil+with+dropper&qid=1655185045&sr=8-6 with the essential oils you dont have to be super exact you could even make it more concentrated by adding few more of each oil just wouldnt go too overboard as they can be quite smelly,as for neem i try to minimalize the use if it after hearing about quite a few cases of azadirachtin posioning with the use of neem on cannabis i try to use it a little as possible im more a fan of using it as a soil imput with the use of neem seed meal or karanja cake(less aza to start in seed meal) and studys have been shown that when applied its only active in soil for around 70 days the azadirachtin compond is disipated i use it at the begining of a run if i do and by the time it starts budding its no longer active @minitiger

5 Likes

Haha, I actually like the smell of every pest-management treatment I’ve ever tried. Been doing the neem/essential oil thing the last few weeks now; my girl fucking hates it, hates it when I’ve even just brewed a neem/kelp tea in the past; she always even makes these,”Nooooo, not neem…” when I top dress with it when I transplant, but I like the way it smells. The essential oils are a new thing for me, never used them before this round, but I think they smell pretty good. And I don’t even spray in the house, always take the plants outside to foliar. The wood vinegar I used for the first time last night smelled kinda like “nasty worcestershire,” but even that smelled good to me. I dunno. She’s just sensitive to smells, I guess haha.

So, yeah, those droppers, though, those are 30 milliliter droppers. So when you say “3 drops of rosemary oil,” just as an example, are you talking about three full droppers? For a total of 90 milliliters? In one gallon of water? One “drop” is a full dropper?

3 Likes

i understand her pain with the neem that is some foul shit to me :rofl: i like the smell of kelp smells like the sea and been a fan of most pm treatments the citrus ferment smells funky but in a good way and the hot pepper like hot sauce never looked into wood vinegar as a treament will have to do that even like when i feed some fish hydrolysate every once in awhile even though it makes my tent smell like an aquarium

3 Likes

Wow, okay. That’s a lot, much more than any sorta IPM recipe I’ve ever seen. But if it works, I don’t care haha.

2 Likes

So I guess I was a little to baked last night :joy: and got my numbers wrong checked this morning (knew when I was writing it seems like a lot :upside_down_face:so the bottles are only 15 ml bottles that hold the oil the droppers hold little over 1 ml each I use Around 3-5 full droppers of each oil to make up a total of 15-20 ml between the 3 oils 90 wouldn’t most likely hurt but would smell to high heavens @minitiger

4 Likes

Ahhhh, okay. So basically between a half- to one full teaspoon of each. I was wondering, like,”Jesus, how much money is desertheart spending on essential oils every month…?” haha.

3 Likes

I work with I.O. for medicinal purposes. Drops of I.O. are just that…drops. If a particular recipe calls for 5 drops of Lemon, gently squeeze the Bulb, dispensing 5 Drops. That 15ml Bottle will last a l-o-n-g time!! SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:NOTE: @DesertHeartGardens, SUPER THANKS for sharing the Recipe.

7 Likes

Aye @DesertHeartGardens can it be orange peels or lime or does it have to be lemon? I started collecting orange peels last night in a zip lock but don’t want to waste my time lol

1 Like