Pheno Hunt - 3 Strains of Bros. Grimm

I am reconstructing this thread for the forum. I will notate when it is current.
-al

Pheno Hunt - 3 Strains of Bros Grimm

It was 1998. One of my hobbies was running a 3 line BBS on Wildcat software with a stack of 16 CD ROMs, providing local message boards and access to the early internet.

USENET groups provided space for international interests of every desire. Alt.marijuana.cultivation opened the door for me to take my other hobby to new levels.

One of the first weeds developed on the internet was Cinderella. Mr. Soul performed the cube with help from around the world watching. To get seeds was a risky and clandestine activity, but mine came with pretty cloth swatches that everyone appreciated.

For a lot of folks, this was the first serious sativa they ever encountered. There were many stories of people tearing down their grow and huddling behind the curtains with a shotgun after their first smoke test. Some old timer Cannabis World folks can back me up on this.

All the plants grown out were good, but one had a meaty luscious pineapple profile, with an extra smack to the face. Testers reported seeing trees breathe, laying flat on the floor because of earth movement, forgetting they have kids and leaving them at the sitters, and finally, incredible bursts of creative energy.

Sadly that plant faded and it became difficult to find that buzz elsewhere. Over the years, I have looked at thousands of plants, and always wanted to search for it again. But there was always the new hotness to chase, and demands for other crosses.

A few years ago Mr. Soul resurfaced and started making seeds again. This gives us the opportunity to go look for that old time sativa buzz that is mostly missing on the modern scene. It seems that color and couchlock sells better at the dispensary, than trippy sativas that may lack the bag appeal of the latest hybrids.

Green Rush Farms has a long history of pheno hunting top crosses to find the quality individuals that they are famous for.

So we will pick up the baton and do a full pheno hunt of 3 Brothers Grimm strains right here!

Seeds:

Here we go!

We are soaking 6 seeds of each strain. Our plan is to bloom them out together using my syntho/biotic aeroponic technique.

So come along for the ride. Let’s go find some trippy weed!

As always, your questions and comments are welcome.

-al

33 Likes

24 hrs later:

Here We Go!

Everyone sprouted and got planted in 1 quart cups. Using my standard dirt mix of Ocean Forest, pearlite, and worm castings.

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-al

14 Likes

2 Days Later:

Everyone has made It through the dirt. One looks a lil weak. We will give it a couple days to look better, before replacing it.

-al

13 Likes

One Week Later

I replaced the RSTN with a new sprout that made it through the dirt. Edge watering with RO water has kept everyone upright while the early tender roots grow.

-al

13 Likes

One More Week

The replacement RSTN is chugging along. Everyone is looking nice and getting perimeter watered with plain RO. They might get their first sip of tea in the next week.

-al

12 Likes

Yet Another Week

The plants have moved to a bigger table to get more room. They are still on plain RO water. They will soon get their first sip of al’s Dirt Plant Delight Tea. I will also begin their training to become future moms with their first skirt trim.

For extra details, checkout the 4 Crosses of Slapz thread for all my recipes and tech.

-al

12 Likes

Time for a Trim

It’s time to start training our girls to be future moms. Our goal is to harvest side branches for clones and keep the original plants alive and ready to produce clones in 5 months.

Before:

The first step in their training to become moms is to get a skirt trim. We leave the side branches, but remove the 3 bottom sets of leaves.

Before:

After:

Group Shot of Our Girls Showing a Little Leg:

We have started using al’s Super Feed N Kill Foliar Spray on schedule with the rest of the mom room. They are also eating al’s Dirt Plant Delight Tea at 10% concentration. If you want more information or recipes for these, check the 4 Crosses of Slapz thread for all my tech.

-al

15 Likes

Getting Close

Group shot:

It’s almost time to harvest the shoots to put in the cloner. Everyone is healthy and happy, but they will soon feel the constraint of the cup. The organic tea they are sipping will help.

There is some variation between sisters, tho it’s pretty easy to see the difference between the strains.

-al

13 Likes

To the Cloner!

The plants are big enough to take clones! I like to number them by size. This helps with planning the layout in bloom later. Here are the group shots by strain showing everyone’s final identity. Positive Identification and traceability at all steps is essential.

Rosetta Stone:

Cinderella:

Apollo:

Cloner:

I’ve set up the cloner using al’s Rootin Tootin Cloner Setup Sauce. You can get more info and recipes in the 4 crosses of Slapz thread.

So we have three cuts of every individual in the cloner. Our goal here is to get at least one healthy clone of each girl. Any leftovers give us options such as extras in bloom, or replacing the original mom if needed.

Moms After:

They look a lil ragged after getting trimmed and topped, but will continue to get trained for future momhood.

-al

12 Likes

-al’s Mail Bag

Occasionally I will repost questions asked in other forums or mail that seem relevant.

I ran BG Apollo XX recently. Not bad dope but nothing standout about it. I have two phenos of Peak C99 running now, courtesy of Lost Tribe. Gonna make a haze hybrid with them using Seedsman OHz from JohnnyChicago via Mr Flower.

Your plants do very well in those styrofoam cups. -F

Thanks for the intel. I have seen that most reviewers have called it the same, but there’s always a chance! lol

Good luck on the crosses.

The 32 oz cups are the best. They allow for a nice tap root and enough volume to keep the plants alive in them for 4 months, just enough time to bloom out clones. I go to 2 quart pots when they get too perturbed.

Busy Mom Room:

2 Quart Clones at 5 Months:

Thank you for your interest.

-al

12 Likes

Disaster!

We had a pump failure and the cuts went without spray for at least 12 hours. Quite a few are beyond revival.

This is the risk of aeroponics. If we were in any other media, 12 hours without power is just a cloudy day.

These pumps run for about 5 years or so and have a lifetime warranty. Of course we have backups of all critical equipment and luckily we can replace most of questionable cuts with fresh ones that will be 4 days behind.

Anyone that just might make it were put in a backup cloner.

Between the new cuts and any Lazuri, we should end up with at least ONE rooted clone of each individual.

Thankfully we were ready with mom plants that had been trained, making this just another bend in the road, rather than the end of it.

-al

7 Likes

Recovery!

Replacements and survivors looking good.

Lazuri:

I put the ugly ones in a backup cloner just in case they turn out to be useful.

I think everything will be fine.

-al

8 Likes

There Can be Only One!. . .or two

Before:

After:

I have gathered all the rooted clones, including the Lazuri from the pump outage. I cleaned up the best two clones of each individual, putting the best of each in the main run, while keeping a backup of each girl.

I’m guessing we will be going to bloom with these in just a couple weeks.

-al

6 Likes

Cloner Update

We have a viable representative of each individual. Looks like a week or two and these girls are headed to the bloom room!

I have cleaned up the bottoms and plan to only shoot prune from here.

I remember Cindy performing best as a single topped candelabra. The decision to top or not will have to be made soon.

-al

7 Likes

Almost Ready

These are almost ready to go to bloom. I’ve started shoot pruning in preparation. I’ve also decided on a single top strategy. We want plenty of light to chase the best buzz, yield is a secondary concern.

Our moms are in good shape. They just got some worm castings and tea. I’m trying to avoid uppotting them for as long as possible.

-al

8 Likes

Here We Go!

Day 0 Bloom

Unit:

Side:

Cover Sheet:

Everyone looks healthy after the transplant. We had 2 smallish CNDYs that I put in the middle.

We will give them a week to determine if anyone needs to be moved.

-al

9 Likes

Day 7 Bloom Update

Unit:

A lot of vibrant growth for just 7 days. 4 full new sets of leaves and a good 6 inches. Lot of early “touchdowning” going on.

Data:

We have several events happening sooner than usual in this run. They responded so well to the light that I have cranked them up to full power a good 4 days early. The plants also got a day 7 shoot prune for growth control along with 3 hits of food.

They have received 2 rounds of al’s Super Feed N Kill Foliar Spray as noted with the circled s on the data sheet.

All of my recipe details can be found in the 4 Crosses of Slapz thread.

Swaps:

This is the last opportunity to move plants around easily. I have grouped the smallest plants together in the middle with just 2 swaps.

Roots:

You can see a large pad of roots have grown in just a week. The roots are slightly tinged with our friends from the tea, but white and firm underneath and never slimy.

Side:

Beautiful rosettes of vibrant green. Now if we can direct all this energy to crafting some bud!

Trellising starts soon.

-al

10 Likes

Day 14 Bloom

Unit:

Another 4-6 inches of growth this week and I’ve started pinching and pruning to try and keep them out of the light.

Data:

The plants have been eating every other day this week and required 1 pH adjustment.

Canopy:

The canopy is filling in nicely. Only a few very bottom leaves have withered and been removed. I don’t mess with leaves until the plant is done with them. This gives us a target for foliar sprays far into the bloom cycle letting us ‘force feed’ the plants beyond normal nutrition.

Shoot Prune:

In this shot, you can see how shoot pruning has transformed a naturally bushy plant into a columnar beauty that will produce a maximized flower stalk.

Next up - The girls get tied up!

-al

16 Likes

Day 15 Walk Through

(27) 2 Weeks Bloom - 3 Strains of Bros. Grimm - YouTube

4 Likes

This thread is now current.

-al

6 Likes