Pheno Hunt - 3 Strains of Bros. Grimm

Very nice and extremely detailed.
Im growing some A11 currently and plan to start the apollo haze after to form my own opinion on the changes (inclusion of SSH on the cindy side of the strain).
I personally liked Apollo 11. I grew it once before (a few years back) and know i didnt do it justice and still produce great plants. The bud was almost TOO strong (as if there is such a thing) and those i shared it with seriously thought the bud was tampered with (that was a 50 something rasta gentleman who grew outdoors near me).
I envy you your skills. Im a decent grower (prefer dirt) and suck at cloning (after 100s of attempts less than 10% success: alas).

Cheers
Doob

6 Likes

Rosetta Stone #6 is what i like :smile: :smile:

1 Like

Looking great , what temp is the room you germinate in ?

1 Like

I germ at room temp(74 f). Heating pads speed up the race between fungi and the embryo in my experience.

Peroxide and alcohol washes, germing in petri dishes on sterilized media, and sterile technique helps when dealing with old, fragile seeds.

These were easy!

Thank you for your interest.

-al

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about trying the agar method on some older seeds and was curious if anybody made any ready to use mix yet, I have a recipe for my own but would have to squire quite a few diff ingredients , I’m looking at some that is for orchids that looks interesting though.
This company seems to have a few interesting products
https://phytotechlab.com/

1 Like

I recently used this formulation. Worked better than generic plant agar.

I’m getting lazy and don’t do many formulations myself anymore.

-al

2 Likes

Looking good. :+1:

1 Like

I grew Cinderella xx a couple of years ago… one of the most potent strains I’ve ever grown. It had zero smell during and after flowering. Truly great strain

4 Likes

This is a phenomenal thread mate :clap: really enjoyable read, I’m definitely going to join the ride and watch on, I can’t say I’ve ever had any bros Grimm gear but your description of the Cinderella made me chuckle :grinning: it doesn’t sound like a nice experience haha but for sativa lovers I’m sure that’s part of the buzz!
Best of luck with the grow brother and I hope you find some really special phenos in your hunt!

2 Likes

Day 21 Bloom Update

Unit:

Lots of growth! I have removed intermediate bud zone fan leaves. All the bottom leaves are left for foliar spray application.

Data:

The plants have been eating regularly and its time for the first res change.

Side:

Lots of lime green explosive growth shoots.

Hungry Girl:

This CNDY is unhappy with the nutes and wants stronger sauce.

Runt Row:

CNDY has the most variation and these are the shortys. I’ll do my best to get a decent test bud for evaluation, but low vigor is not what we are looking for.

Moms:

Here’s our moms, still in their original cups after a hair cut.

The grow is progressing very well. I expect everyone to make it over the finish line with a testable sample.

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-al

5 Likes

Interesting concept to leave the lower fans for foliar feeding during bloom. I like it, looking good!

2 Likes

From a very old project. Some of my first experiments with foliar spray recipes on late blooming plants:

Here’s a 2 liter for some scale:

One of many trix I used to max these plants out.

-al

13 Likes

when you think abnout it -seem more healthy for the plant - consider “engery” flow - at some time the lower leaves could influence budding size - making them smaller ??? tioughts

1 Like

@als_weed @hawkman

I can only grow outdoors for the next few years, so leaving some fans down low seems like a great strategy for foliars. They’d keep getting plenty of sun, especially towards harvest time as the angle of the sun drops. I’d still thin out bud sites to get rid of larf, learned this lesson pretty good last season. I don’t see any harm leaving the bigger, lower fans. I think they contribute more than they take, especially if I’m thinning the cola areas of fans.

2 Likes

Feeding the lower leaves ‘force feeds’ the plant in late bloom when uptake of nutes normally slows to a crawl, is basically the foie gras effect in plants.

The lower fans make a great target for sprays, since they can be soaked without getting the buds wet and causing bud rot.

As long as you have fans blowing, circulation is not a problem.

I use als Super Feed N Kill Foliar Spray. The recipe can be found in the ‘4 Crosses of Slapz’ thread here on the als_weed forum.

-al

6 Likes

Thanks Al, I’ll take a look!

BRO… I’ve got less than 10 grows in me so far. I’ve listened to hundreds of hours of podcasts and youtube videos to pass the time at work (I refinish floors for a living and always have headphones on to protect my hearing) I’ve never heard of anyone doing this. I appreciate the tech, I’m going to try it on my next run.

5 Likes

Thank you for the kind words!

I have many unconventional techs in my methods:

Training seedlings to be mom plants.
Putting critters in your cloner instead of sterilizing.
Syntho/Biotic aeroponic nutes.
Organic teas for dirt plants to reduce root mass.

They are sprinkled throughout the threads in the als_weed forum, but the “4 Crosses of Slapz” thread has all the recipes and is most complete.

-al

3 Likes

Day 28 Bloom Update

Unit:

Still stretching, but slowing, as bud formation begins in earnest. Lots of lime green splotches of color.

Data:

The plants continue to eat regularly, and had their first res change without incident. 2 more applications of als Super Feed N Kill Foliar Spray are noted with the circled s.

Side:

RSTN Row:

Our lanky tall girls are starting to get their smells. From floral to fruity to gas, the array of bouquets is everywhere.

APLO:

Sweet floral aromas are the uniform smell of these girls at 4 weeks. Brilliant green buds portend a budsplosion to come.

CNDY:

Some sweet pineapple hints, but no flower-meat smells that I remember from long ago. But I also remember the aromas ramp up late in bloom. But such a spikey, happy plant.

I expect the end of stretch and our first PK boost to happen soon.

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-al

6 Likes

Fascinating setup, have you detailed that anywhere?
(I might have missed it)

Cheers
G

2 Likes