Pheno Hunt - 6 Crosses of Black Truffle

6 Crosses of Black Truffle

Here is our universal male in this cross. She’s medium height and super triched with an opium rubber terp profile. The buzz is an immediate rear brain massage with a social uplifting high.

We reversed and crossed her to 23 strains on another thread on this forum.

Meet the 6 Strains Selected and Goals of the Cross:

Platinum Lemon Cherry Gelato is a very tall, small budded plant that produces beautiful extra triched buds. The buzz is peaky – fast, intense, and only medium duration. BTFL will add flavor and duration, while increasing bud size and reducing the stretch.

Sherb Cream Pie is a medium tall, large purple budded plant. It has a lovely fruit and gas aroma that tickles the nose. The buzz is immediate and relatively intense with good duration. I think enough of her that she is our next universal male. BTFL will add more dimension to the buzz, while adding trichomes and color to the daughters.

YaHemi #4 is a dark, tall lady that produces citrus flavored buds of chill. The buzz is a relaxing frontal lobotomy without the screwdriver. BTFL will add flavor complexity and a massage during surgery, while reducing the height and increasing trich formation.

White Angel is civilized biker weed. Smacks hard while tasting velvety smooth and melting your face. 10+ years a top 3 plant in my harem. BTFL will add a rear massage to the frontal assault, while making it easier to grow and adding color.

Gran Dawgy Purps has a nail salon penetrating funk. Her dense purple buds are oily to the touch and cannot be made into wax. The buzz anesthetizes your nose and tickles your brain. No sleep for you! The energy will have you playing games, making lists, and grooving to the music. BTFL will add extra dimension to the buzz, while adding trichs, and most importantly, preserving this aging lady.

Black Rock Lava Cake is the most potent cake I’ve encountered. She’s a tall vigorous plant that produces black, dense, golf ball sized buds slathered with sparkling trichomes. The buzz is intense and immediate. Gaming and social activities are enhanced, while you keep touching your face to make sure its still there. BTFL will add the brain massage and flavors, while reducing the height and making buds so black, light will not escape.

I did the napkin thing to 9 seeds of each strain. We got 90% germ rate. This relatively low germ rate is expected, since the seeds were started just weeks after harvest, without some cold storage time that helps. This resulted in 50 sprouts that I have planted in my standard soil mix in1 quart containers.

My goal is to pick the best six of each strain and bloom them out across 2 units.

Here we go!

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-al

38 Likes

the black truffle and the white angel look amazing.

Following :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

The White Angel and Black Rock Lava Cake look spectacular!!!
Can’t wait to see what the cross produces!!!
Will any of the crosses be available???

6 Likes

everything sounds tasty ill bee following this

3 Likes

The White Angel and Black Rock Lava Cake look spectacular!!!
Can’t wait to see what the cross produces!!!
Will any of the crosses be available???

Thanx! We will know in about 5 months if we have any winners.

All of the seeds from the 23 crosses will be available in the spring. If we find any winners in this project, clones will also be listed on GreenRushFarms.net.

Thank you for your interest.

-al

6 Likes

I got to say some very nice strains. Last night I had dreams about your strains. The colors are amazing. Remember the first champagne clone I ever had. Thought I was something.
One Love.

2 Likes

Which black truffle? 3rd coast or your own creation?

2 Likes

I was just about to post about these two as well! Definitely interested in those. Will be following along.

1 Like

It’s the 3rd Coast Breeder’s cut available at GreenRushFarms.net.

They did a good job of selection for sure.

Thank you for your interest.

-al

1 Like

I have a pack of the black truffle (new version) and hope to find something similar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seedling Update

We are down to 45 individuals. 5 didn’t make it through the dirt. Our goal of 36 healthy subjects is well in hand.

Since I doubled the size of the original experiment, half of our subjects are 4 days behind, and visibly smaller.

I will continue to perimeter water to prevent blown out roots. An oscillating fan ensures that our tender sprouts have strong stems and optimum respiration as they gently wave in the breeze.

-al

6 Likes

Seedling Update

We have 7 or 8 individuals of each strain. We will let them grow another week or so before we begin selecting the 6 of each variety that will make it to the show.

They are still getting plain RO water and waving in the breeze as I have cranked the oscillating fan up to medium.

Skirt trim and tea coming soon!

-al

8 Likes

Seedling Update

They have gotten their first taste of al’s Dirt Plant Delight Tea along with their first application of al’s Super Feed N Kill Foliar Spray. You can find the recipes along with all of my current tech in the “4 Crosses of Slapz” thread here in the forum.

The plants are looking good and almost ready to begin their training to become mother plants, with a skirt trim coming soon.

-al

5 Likes

Time for a Skirt Trim

Seedlings:

Here’s our girls Growing out nicely with 4 to 5 pairs of leaves. The first step in their training is to get a skirt trim.

Our ultimate goal for these plants is to produce side branches that we will turn into clones that will be flowered out, all the while keeping the original plant alive and small for 5 months. After we identify the winners, that small plant will be transplanted to become a mother.

So the first step is to remove bottom leaves, while leaving all the shoots.

Before:

After:

I skirt trim for several reasons.

First is exposing the side branches to maximum light and transpiration. The side branches are what we will be harvesting from these plants.

Second is to avoid pests and litter. The leaves we are taking are normally the first target for problems, and first to die off and make a mess.

Group Shot After:

I haven’t culled anyone yet. I will let them develop for a while first, and wait till cloner time to start making decisions.

-al

6 Likes

NICE!

Thanks for going into the ‘ways and wherefores’ of your trim process.
I hadn’t considered zapping the fans of the lower nodes like that but I’m sure going to give it a go.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Come See the Seedlings!

(19) 6 Crosses of Black Truffle - Seedling Start - YouTube

1 Like

Almost There

Everyone got another trim. They are sipping al’s Dirt Plant Delight Tea at 50% strength now.

Nice Side Branches:

Here you can see how our training has created really nice side branches. Looks like another week and everyone will be ready to go the cloner.

-al

3 Likes

To the cloner!

Group before:

Our first task will be to assign identification numbers to every individual. I start by lining up the plants by strain and height. I start with the tallest so I have a clue later on how to plan the bloom canopy.

Getting IDs:

Start:

Here’s our typical plant.

Cuttings:

I take 2 side branches and the top. I remove old or damaged leaves and give them a full inspection. This leaves the perfect small starter mom for us to keep alive for the next four months.

Trimmed Cuttings:

I don’t clip leaf tips because it creates a disease vector. I also use aerocloners and an oscillating fan as opposed to a humidity dome.

Cloners:

We ended up with 132 cuttings. This should get us 6 well rooted individuals of each strain. Head to head testing requires a good sized margin of error to avoid less useful sequential testing.

I used al’s Rootin Tootin Cloner Setup Sauce for the initial nutes. You can find the recipe and more details about cloning in the “4 Crosses of Slapz/All al’s Tech Here” thread here in the forum.

Group Done:

Our task with these girls is to keep them alive and small while we bloom out the cuttings and determine the winners.

-al

4 Likes

Cloner Update

I have selected the best 2 cuts of each individual. About half are thriving, 30% are going to be OK, and 20% are dead. Some strains did better, but we have enough contestants left to get a look at all of them.

The plan is to head to the bloom room in 2 flushes spaced 2 weeks apart. This way the slower rooting cuts will have a shot.

I’m guessing we will head there in about 3 weeks.

-al

5 Likes

Some wicked strains there man, goodluck with the crosses! Probably gonna have some top notch beans coming from there

1 Like