Pheno Hunt - 6 Crosses of Black Truffle

Yet Another Cloner Update

The cloners are now qued up for the bloom room. I have selected the best clone of each and discarded the rest.

Looks like the first cloner is going to bloom in 1 –2 weeks!

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-al

5 Likes

How do you like the cloner vs your typical domes and rockwool?

The aero cloners produce plants that are ready to plant in aero systems in the bloom room. They are generally larger with well developed bare roots than what you would have with Rockwool.

Thank you for your interest.

-al

1 Like

Ya I’ve noticed the same thing, my struggle in the past with them was keeping the room they are in at a high humidity where they don’t wilt. But yours look great.

1 Like

One Week Away!

Cloners:

The first round cloner is a week away from the bloom room. The plants are lush and happy with pretty roots.

Roots:

They have a week to double in height. The plants are loving the biotics mixed with synthetics in al’s Go Go Veg o Matic recipe. You can find this and all my tech in the “4 Crosses of Slapz” thread here in the als_weed forum.

Moms:

The moms got trimmed and we eliminated 5 individuals who did not root. I don’t have space and time to do round ups on underperforming plants.

I’m pretty stoked about getting these healthy girls into the bloom room.

-al

3 Likes

Wow! I’m super impressed with this massive undertaking! Things look amazing and u have some really nice plants for breeding lines! Hoping we can work out some future trades of gear! Keep up the good work bud!

2 Likes

To the Bloom Room!

Plants ready to go:

I have shoot pruned and trimmed lower leaves. The roots are vibrant white and fully colonized with our critter buddies.

Just Planted:

Looking a little raggedy, but ready to rock!

Layout and Setup:

My cover sheet shows the layout of all individuals, along with the res setup and any special needs of the run. Any swaps are noted here, since this is the document I use to retain Identification and traceability.

Next round of Clones:

The next round of clones should hit the bloom room within the next 2 weeks. I’m trying to keep all participants in this experiment as close together as possible.

So excited we have healthy representatives of all 6 strains. Can’t wait to see how Black Truffle genes mixed with the classic moms in these girls.

-al

5 Likes

professional set-up - will be watching your "hunt: !

1 Like

Day 7 Bloom Update – Unit 2

Unit:

Look at em go! The SBCT is leading the rush out of the blocks. Not far from trellis time with these lush ladies.

Data:

The plants started heavy feeding from day 1. The light got cranked to 11 by day 4 with no leaf crinkling. They have already received 2 rounds of shoot pruning and 2 applications of al’s Super Feed N Kill Foliar Spray. You can find the recipes along with all of my current tech in the “4 Crosses of Slapz” thread here in the als_weed forum.

Side:

Canopy:

Canopy is filling in nicely. I still have a few days to swap anyone around to improve the colosseum shape under the light.

Big Leaves:

This SCPT leaf is an amazing size for 7 days out of the cloner!

Next:

These will be ready for wave 2 of our girls next week. A lot happening with this experiment over the next week, and I’ll do my best to bring it to you here.

-al

3 Likes

To the Bloom Room Part 2

Ready to Go!

The plants have been pruned throughout veg. I’ll shoot prune them to the top 3 shoots and remove any damaged leaves before planting in netpots.

Layout:

Our Tracking Sheet keeps identification and traceability intact. The initial res setup and any additional information for the run is noted here.

Day 0 Bloom, Unit 3

We jammed a couple extra plants into this unit. I tried to arrange them colosseum style. We have a couple weeks to move them before trellis time and root development makes it difficult.

They look a little shell shocked right now, but I expect them to really take off within a couple days.

-al

4 Likes

Day 14 Bloom Update, Unit 2

Unit:

Lots of thick stems and lush leaves. 2 weeks of stretch left and I’m pinching these girls like a gramma does a little kid’s cheek. The center of the grow will be fine, but the edges will be hard to keep out of the light.

Data:

The plants are in heavy feed as Nitrogen needs max out while producing all these leaves and stem. Everyone is strapped into position on the trellis we put in this week.

Side:

Lots of happy touchdowning plants.

Center:

Canopy:

Our canopy looks nice. With the trellis in place, final positions have been determined. We have a couple weeks of explosive growth to go. Gonna be fun!

-al

4 Likes

Day 7 Bloom Update, Unit 3

Unit:

Everyone has perked up and started the explosive growth phase.

Data:

The light is cranked up and the plants have started eating heavy. I have started shoot pruning to concentrate the plants energy on the growth tip. Short plants are only left with 3 branches, while taller ones will keep up to 5. As they grow we will continue to prune and pinch, maximizing the bud zone light exposure.

Side:

Center

We have crowded a couple extra plants in the middle. This unit has all the stragglers, so we expect smaller plants, and the extras will fit in fine.

-al

1 Like

Day 21 Bloom Update, Unit 2

Unit:

The plants are growing aggressively. The leaves looking like lush blades stabbing the air and grabbing the light.

Data:

The plants continue to eat about every other day. This is what we expect during heavy stretch. The unit is due for a res change in the next day or so. This lets us reset the nutes for flowering.

As opposed to what everyone will tell you in their recipe, plants eat less overall during heavy flower. You can see this for yourself in the daily log. If you look at most commercial nutrient schedules, they bulk out food at the onset of heavy flower.

With syntho/biotic aeroponics, we simply shift the profile slightly to the PK side, and carry on with our max ppm of 380, triggered at 345. Our organics and biotics are supplied by the Aero Tea, and supplemented with foliar sprays on lower leaves all the way to harvest.

Side:

Center:

Canopy:

Love it when they look like pineapples all spikey and proud.

Ready to Explode:

SBCT1 is showing great vigor with thick stems and large leaves. I have been pinching her early and this practice has resulted in even thicker stems. The growth tip is now ready to use all that energy and explode into flower. I may have to take out another bottom branch soon just for space management, and try to squeeze out every bit of performance of the top flowering tip.

A walkthrough of the Black Truffle Project

(316) Phenotype Hunt - 6 Crosses of Black Truffle - YouTube

This is when the plants start showing their stuff with early fragrance development and clues about flower structure. I try to soak up the little nuances of each plant and tendencies between strains. Pheno hunting requires extra observation and little details are what makes the difference between success and failure.

It’s time to stop pruning and change our strategy to maximize light to the bud zone. We will start removing fan leaves in the bud zone when shading the main bud or overshadowing a neighbor. We leave all the others to be targets of our foliar sprays.

As always, your questions and comments are welcome.

-al

4 Likes

Day 14 Bloom Update, Unit 3

Unit:

Whole lotta stretching going on in the perimeter. A couple foot in a week with another to go. I ended up sticking with the original layout. Moving them from now on is a bit traumatic to the plant and can take extra time to recover. There are some drawbacks to having bare roots suspended in the air after all.

Data:

The plants are just pigging out, eating 5 out of 7 days. I have finished the first level of the trellis. The plants are strapped into position, ready to support some heavy tops.

Side:

Center:

Canopy:

Our crowded middle is looking ok. We should get something to test out of even the smallest runt.

Next week will be all about pinching and pruning our way through the rest of power stretch. Our goal is to end up with a testable sample of each individual, while gathering intel on growth characteristics on everyone. Compromises will be made.

-al

4 Likes

Mom Update

Moms:

I have given all the girls a haircut. Everyone is still alive sippin al’s dirt plant delight tea at full concentration. You can get the recipe in the “4 Crosses of Slapz” thread here in the als_weed forum.

-al

4 Likes

Well done, great read!

1 Like

Day 21 Bloom Update, Unit 3

Unit:

Happy plants reaching for the light. Our taller girls are right at the light. This was supposed to be the unit with all the slow plants!

Data:

The plants are eating steady as we get ready to turn the corner on nutes and start the PK shift. They continue to soak up their al’s Super Feed N Kill Foliar Sprays. For the recipe and all my tech, visit the ”4 Crosses of Slapz” thread here in the als_weed forum.

Side:

Center:

Lots of button buds and lush plants. Even the runts are touchdowning.

With just a week of slowing stretch left, it looks like everyone will stay safely under the light. The next few days will be about shifting the nutes and strategically removing leaves for hard bloom.

-al

4 Likes

Day 35 Bloom Update, Unit 3

Unit:

Strong plants up to the light and starting serious stack. Another level of trellis may be in order for some of the perimeter plants.

Data:

The nutes continue to PK shift as we prepare for the final res change. The plants continue to get foliar sprays, notated with the circled s.

Side:

Center:

Our shorties are budding out. I’m quite surprised by how many PLCG daughters are short, for such a tall mom.

Now is the time fatten buds with the stretch complete. I’m happy that we ended up with only a couple in the light.

-al

2 Likes

Day 28 Bloom Update, Unit 3

Unit:

Our run of supposed slow plants is up to the lights! Thankfully stretch is done and the buds are coming on strong.

Data:

I started the res change with light nutes to avoid tip burn and spent a few days sneaking back up to operating values. I have shifted the nutes to the PK side of things as flowering starts in earnest.

Side:

Center:

The short center plants have most of the GDP crosses, while the edge YaHemi and Sherb Pie plants are quite tall.

Hopefully I won’t need to tie down any tops as stretch is done, but we will still have some lateral top buds if they get any size.

-al

4 Likes

Day 56 Bloom Update, Unit 2

Unit:

The colors and smells of finishing. We are so close to the best part of this process.

Data:

The plants have stopped eating for the most part as the pH takes a dive. Aero Tea adds a final blast of organics and fresh critters to help them across the finish line with maximum oils and terps.

Side:

Center:

BRTF3(Black Rock Lava Truffle)

A hyper frosty girl that looks like a bigger version of her momma daddy.

YAHT1(Ya Hemi Truffle)

This big girl has a unique perfume that reminds me of rotten fruit candy. A penetrating sweet smell with a hint of musky danger. Hope it stays this vibrant.

ANTF1(Animal Tree Truffle)

So frosty white, the chunky buds outshine her mom.

PLCT5(Platinum Lemon Cherry Truffle)

This girl looks a lot like her mother. Insane trichage, but with an added touch of color and musky perfume.

It’s time to half the res and get ready for harvest!

-al

7 Likes