Seeds - Regular vs Feminized vs Auto

Other than the obvious, are there any meaningful differences? For example, I’ve read about some people with indoor grows making separate areas for regular and autos? Why? In fact, if you’re growing indoors why even grow autos at all other than availability?

And what about fems? Are there any down sides to them? I plan to be a very small grower with only a plant or two going at a time. Fems are appealing in that I won’t have to waste time with males. Would I be sacrificing anything?

Finally, if I were to grow the same strain (from the same breeder) via each method should they theoretically be the same ignoring different phenos?

1 Like

Time and space management. I haven’t tried auto yet; maybe some day.

Why not fems. They are perfect for small grows with little room for males.

Last question, yes.

2 Likes

I’m trying to understand how that would matter? Wouldn’t a regular seed put to 12/12 early or from the get go do the same?

2 Likes

On a first run of a season, an auto is typically done in 60 days. At the end of 2 months, you can have a harvest and had time to set up seedlings or clones that are flip ready in 60 days. Time saved.

2 Likes

Someone would have to grow both reg and feminized to fully evaluate the differences.

I’m growing several Ace feminized strains and I’ll grow regulars of any of those that stand out. I’d expect the regulars to potentially produce more phenos and possible a very special one.

All the feminized strains I’m running match the breeders description for growth and vigor. It will be some time before I can compare the fully cured buds to the smell, taste and effect descriptions.

Limited space… go with feminized seeds.

Don’t know if I’ll ever do any autos. The yield will almost always be low and I don’t expect the quality to be anything worthwhile.

3 Likes

Why would you expect the quality to be lesser? I am asking all of this because I am a small, indoor grower and a relatively light smoker. I am growing only for myself and I smoke only about 1.5 ounces in a year So I am limited on space and do not need large yields. My only concern is quality That’s why I’m asking.

Does either one matter for the best quality smoke?

1 Like

I have never grown. I have tried some good and some not so good. Depends on the breeder, no?

autos can flower under any lighting schedule so its not uncommon for people to flower a couple autos in their veg area timed to finish midway through the main flower cycle. just for some extra variety and a mini harvest mid crop

7 Likes

I understand that they’ll flower under any light schedule, but will they do much different than a regular started at 12/12?

1 Like
1 Like

not sure i guess you could try an autoflower version and a photo version of the same strain and compare. the main reasons i see people growing them is to grow outside all year long, finish early to avoid frosts up north, and to fill extra space in the veg tent and get a mid cycle harvest.

i imagine it would grow faster than a regular started at 12/12 because it would have 20-24 hours of photosynthesis instead of only 12

3 Likes

And that’s what I thought, but then I started to see people building auto rooms or growing them alone indoors so I wondered if I was missing something. Also got me wondering if autos were somehow inferior.

some people like being able to keep a plant indefintely by cloning etc, other people prefer growing from seed cause of space/time/plant count constraints or maybe the belief seeds are more reliable/last longer. there’s lots of autoflowers that are 60-90 days from planting to finish so they are considerably faster. idk i guess it all depends on growing style. i will always have a few autoflowers in my veg tent. if the lights are on and the space is there may as well get more flowers from it right?

@Mr.Sparkle grows autos exclusively i believe he can probably input more, he also has a thread about autos here

5 Likes

The genetics used to create many auto flowers is not known for the quality of the high.

You don’t grow for yield large or small if you are focused on quality. Surplus harvest can be donated to a needy local medical user.

If I were you I’d find a strain or two from a quality breeder with a description of the high that matches what you are looking for. If they offer a feminized version then buy them. Focus on finding a strain that fits your needs as far as effects and quality of the high.

You don’t seem to have the need, space or desire to go pheno hunting so forget the regs. Auto strains will never match the quality of non autos so forget the autos.

3 Likes

I dropped my first auto seed it was a freebie. I was germinating the @Swampthing Kung and have more space in the veg tent and It is easier to move around.

6 Likes

@bozrdang seeings how @legalcanada tagged me in :wink: i’ll offer my 2 cents, as i’m here to help.

Answering the original questions i would break it down like this.

Want to keep a single strain or plant going for a long time ?
Photo period is the answer when mother plants and clones are considered.
Now whether regular or feminized that depends. If you want to make your own seed for playing around regulars are the easier way to go, you can still make your own feminized seed relatively easy if you want to do that too, but otherwise with feminized plants you don’t have to deal with males which really is nothing once you know. It’s just with fems you are less likely to be left with say holes in your grow from say too many males, or having plant out growing each other as you got more females than expected.

If bred well either should be accurate to the breeders descriptions.

As for why to grow auto’s, i give you the reason i started. I had space in my veg box that was going un-used and autos were a way for me to fill the space amongst mothers, clones, reveg’s and new seedling getting ready for flower. Due to auto’s being able to flower on any time schedule and me having space i figured hey why not give the new ones a try as i was reading how things have changed since the earlier autos with their quality and yield issues.

Well needless to say after trying a couple and coming across some good breeders, they changed my mind so much that yes currently that’s all i run, and have been running for the last year and a bit.

Here’s why i run them now. First the quicker ones finish in 60 days from sprout, that’s damn fast, this allows me to run more plants for variety and genetic hunting purposes for finding those strains that work for me, or interest me. Next the yield and quality on the “good” strains is now no different imo compared to photoperiods, so i will counter @ray here on that point who needs to try running a couple even if just on the side ;). To back that up vs say you talking about growing 12/12 from seed, here’s how it breaks down for me energy usage vs yield over time.

Take a photoperiod, ive always found that they benefit more if you can provide the first couple weeks “2.5-3” of their life with a veg cycle of say 18/6 as even if started under 12/12 they are gonna take that much time anyways before they start thinking of flowering, but once they do they have a better basis for that flowering. After that say its a 8.5week strain that you run at 12/12 and your done, total time is 11-11.5 weeks, with an on hour light time of 147-156hrs. Now take a 8.5 week auto, its done in the 8.5 weeks saving that 2.5-3 weeks per cycle “bonus” but whats the light on hours for it on an 18/6 scheduel ? works out to be 153hrs of on time which is no different than a photo with that early veg cycle. So the time and energy usage for “basic” argument purposes is the same. As for yield personally i was actually yielding more “on average” with the autos than i was with photos. Also one pro with autos is you don’t have to be concerned with light leaks and the likes in comparison. But the cons are auto’s you have to always run from seed, which is either good or bad on how you want to look at it, and they are a one shot deal, so if you run into real bad issues you have less chance to correct them just because of their internal time scheduel, which really is no different than a photo period already half way through flower. As for quality and yield, you can grow some “BIG” autos now adays, and with the good breeders the quality is on par with photoperiod breeders, but i will say there is still a bunch of junk out there.

So ultimately really its just a choice and they all have their own bonuses.

Also your consumption is right around my level, so consider this with autos, i have yielded 56g from a 0.8sqft pc case in 62ish days on around 60w total case usage, or have also gotten 33g from 35watts total in 60days from a 5 gal bucket, so how ever little space you have i think you will easily be able to out grow your regular consumption easily.

PS. were all here to help so look around have fun and ask questions, the people here will answer if they can ;), welcome to OG

12 Likes

Hi I’ve ran regs, gen and autos all at same time , just put all on a 12/12 light . With all when I put them into flower, much to my surprise it was the autos that ended up 3/4 ft and potency was amazing .at end of grow autos finished 1st and bud on them were actually bigger and tighter than my gems and regs. The creme bubbles and sour livers. Both knocked me out and both were autos, don’t get me wrong the gems and regs were just as good ,but that grow ,is say the autos win , hands down. Where’s I mostly always do regs and fems. :blush: got an old camera somewhere with pics on it. ! I’ll try and find it to show you what I mean.take care good luck Mmechelle …sorry for the book :seedling::+1::wink:x

3 Likes

Disclaimer: I don’t have any experience with autos.

I don’t discount growers experiences with auto.

However…
I’m not sure anyone is going to convince me that breeding very low THC “wild Hemp” Ruderalis with Cannabis Indica or Cannabis Sativa can produce a superior product. Or that my equatorial landrace strain is better or even on par after polluting the gene pool with Ruderalis.

I don’t care about flowering times or have extra space in my veg area. I can produce more than enough in a 5’ x 5’ flowering room to last from crop to crop. So my requirements differ from others.

I admire growers like Mr. Sparkle who can grow in buckets and other small spaces and have nothing but respect for the opinions of those who do micro grows and work with autos.

8 Likes

Regular seeds allow you to breed IBL.

Feminised seeds won’t unless you have male pollen stored.

Autos give you a shorter time span from seeds > bud.

Auto’s aren’t the same as they used to be… there is a few breeders of auto’s who have definitely worked potency into they’re gear ( Mephisto, Dinafem, Sweet Seeds fastbuds etc)… I have grown a few of Mephisto’s strains and I’ve honestly enjoyed them all, though I run regs and fem seeds too , and auto’s are often just as good as the rest…
Try em before you dis em, as i grew some years ago and they were shite, - but im now running a few most of the time now…

Happy growing,
Gaz

3 Likes