Phototrons...SWC/TRON

My first grow in a Phototron I failed because I followed the directions that came with the P-trons…My 2nd. grow I went SWC/TRON hydro and I’ve had success ever since then…Phototrons were ahead of it’s time…if you really think about it it’s just a hard walled grow tent that comes with it’s own lighting system…

I’ve grown so many elite cuttings and clone only strain with my SWC/TRON way…Tons of people have failed growing pot with it because, people did way too much overthinking and followed the directions that came with the Phototrons…I know for a fact that Phototrons do kick ass in growing pot…just check out my pix…

Matanuska Thunder Fuck (bikers cut) real deal clone only strains…grown the SWC/TRON way 20+ yrs. ago.

6 Likes

What I gots going in my SWC/TRON…all females and being revegged…Vietnam Gold, Strawberry O’wreck, Black Shark and IB-A-Wreck…

6 Likes

7 different strains in 1 Phototron…

6 Likes

Still waiting from my Phototron to get out of the shop…so for now I’m using my small tron as a veg chamber…I also have fig cuttings being rooted in the tron…

6 Likes

Seedlings are being sexed…bagseed was a male and culled…Vietnam Blacks are doing well and 1 Dominator is a male…

5 Likes

Just got back from the Phototron shop and all is good to go…new T5 bulbs & new ballast cost $0.00, all he wants is a couple cuttings/clones for 2023 outdoor summer grows…
The phototron technician(Vietnam vet) actually grew my Vietnam Thunder Fuck & Jenny Babe Kush last summer and he doesn’t even smoke…
Life is great, when you treat people the way you want to be treated, it’s good KARMA folks…we all have to be nice to each other in this messed up world we all live in.

Everything works and good as new…let the SWC/TRON begin, the hardest thing is deciding which strains to flower, I have 6 To choose from my small Phototron in the background.

6 Likes

I have height restrictions when I grow in Phototrons and this is my way of dealing with it…I’ve never grown Vietnam Blacks in my Phototrons before, it was always grown in my 1K veg and/or 1K flower rooms…back in the day.

6 different strains in 1 Phototron

7 Likes

Are there specialized shops for Phototrons? I tried Google but got nothing as helpful as a shop. I dug out my hoard of paperwork but cannot find the original receipt for the Tron just accessories. Anyway, I took some shots of the “instructions” as well just for nostalgia sake. :scream_cat:

5 Likes

Nice I wish I had a original book for my phototron I love the illustrations but I like the name and I’ve been using a Phototron since I started growing about 3 years ago and I love it but I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen one utilized and consistently used harvesting amazing plants than @PhilCuisine(do you have any original manuals?)does with his Trons and that’s pretty cool having original paperwork Happy Growing The Doc…what size is the phototron in the first picture outside it’s been absolutely killing me trying to get some scale to compare it to? And any tips or hacks for getting the doors mylar replaced or not worth it I just don’t want it to be showering the plant with silver flakes but I am able to get one for $50 and it’s got brand new doors pretty much n the ballast isn’t working but I am considering getting it for parts because it’s ridiculous how much people are asking for them fully functional $180-500!?

1 Like

No there isn’t, Phototrons are basically just a lamp w/ballasts and they are encased in a hard walled shell folks…I took it to my Vietnam vet buddy who is an electrician, he also grew my strains last year for the hell of it, he doesn’t even smoke pot…I have the directions/instructions for 1 Phototron but it’s useless for me because I don’t follow it.

$50 for a Tron is worth it, just find an electrician to replace the ballast so you’ll have 2 of them… I’m just saying…IMO Phototrons are just a hard walled tent that comes with it own lighting system and vents the only difference is that the trons have to be kept in a dark room/closets when the lights are off because light will shine through the walls and fuck up your flowering plants inside the Phototrons, unlike tents.

Only 3 wires to connect the ballast and you can get the ballast from Amazon for $20, according to my Photoron technician…that’s what I would do instead of using it for parts bromigos.

4 Likes

Thanks, any good tips on how to deal with the mylar flaking off? LoL GOOD call found a new ballast for $28 and I just might have to do that! How tall is the Tron in the picture of yours, my OCD is driving me bonkers lol!

3 Likes

I have both sizes of the Phototrons…the tallest one is about 4ft. tall.

2 Likes

Mine flaked just as I think you described. When I got the itch to grow it was a cheap date IF it worked.

I used a mild Dawn dish soap solution and a sham wow to remove the old film. I think I googled how to remove the old film AFTER I spent many hours getting that shit off.

Once that was done I used Maguiars detailing compound and a cheap buffer to really get the surface ready for new film (many choices on Amazon) PITA to do but the results were like new.

Cut strips 1/4” wider than actual and spray the panel with mixture of Johnson’s baby shampoo ammonia and water (I think) then you just work all the air bubbles out with the provided squeegee and if necessary Re apply more solution from spray bottle. It’s like doing a large scale decal if you ever made plastic models. It’s worth it.

I’m thinking you might find window film on Amazon that eliminates the exterior light intrusion mentioned here but I always kept it hidden myself.

I’m following along with renewed interest as the wife doesn’t wanna give up another room or kilowatt hour……

I’m gonna set it up for sure to try a hydro technique I recently found using buckets of perlite/vermiculite. I have the Feed a Tron which I think I might be able to finesse from 1 gallon reservoir to 5. I’m not sure if the pump rating will work with a larger reservoir of nutrients. Either way I’ve got three cuttings I’d like to save if nothing else. As usual too many plants. I had been running 2 4x4 tents in a perpetual grow. I cannot do anything half way….

I appreciate all the insights and if I can help out I will. Good stuff!!!

1 Like

@DrGonzo13 , @PTron …this is for the both of you…from ebay… don’t need to get fancy or any overthinking after you cut it to size and just use a sticky double side tape to attach to the panels…mirror side in and you should be able to see the plants from the outside of the Phototrons, bromigos.

1 Like

I was thinking about that and it wouldn’t be a good idea to make it so it can’t be seen through but that’s IMO and thanks for the post Phil and I was curious about the thickness of it the roll I found is available in 2, 3,4 &6 mil and it’s the same as the picture but it’s 24"x 20’ and it’s from Amazon and I have an account with free shipping but technically it’s more expensive by 89¢ LoL but it’s just got different thicknesses lol but I am glad to see another Phototron grower @PTron and I have been able to learn more ways to best utilize the Tron and it’s a Big shout to the “Tron-Guru” and I don’t think I have to say anything else but I just can’t wait to do some much needed TLC on my girl after this grow but I don’t intend to make it darkened out and I just like to kiss but I’d love to see some pics when you have a chance @PTron Happy Growing The Doc… Thanks Bromigo!

1 Like

7 strains in 1 small ass Phototron, I’m gonna be flowering a few of them in my bigger Phototron, when I get the time off from work…yes folks, I ended up getting a job…

IMG_20230225_075919

7 Likes

I suck at growing auto fems outdoors, this is less than 7" tall…this is the first time growing auto fems, I never grew them purposely, accidentally yes…

But I kick ass on growing regular seeds…

My next grow in my Phototrons will be auto fems, this will be the first time that I will be growing auto fems and I will succeed…

3 Likes

Phototron Original $49
I remember these were several hundred $$$$ in '85 when I ran up my buddy’s moms phone bill listening to Demarco’s recorded sales pitch.

1 Like

THE SHEARS SHE USES TO CUT THE PLANTS ARE PURE :rofl:

3 Likes

I not call that last Pic “working”.
Define working
What size plants can be done
What is the average yield?
I can flower with a flashlight (led)
50k lum lol
But why?
It looks like 8 4 foot tubes?
The power consumption and yield
Will not ever justify these things
Imo
I can pull 2 zips off a 20 inch plant using 97 watts under my Mars.
Can a tron do that?
Sure i could kill a boar at 20 yards with Gamo .22 pellet gun
But I rather have my 30.06.
To each his own.

2 Likes