Planning ahead for water

I have a reverse osmosis kit in my house it has the plus alkaline though so I’m not able to use that for my grow. I would use City water when I’m unsure whether it has chlorine in it wondering if a filter like this would be suitable.

Limited-time deal: Amazon Basics Inline Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector, White https://a.co/d/iINzAOl

3 Likes

I use city water that sits for a couple of days to off gas the chlorine with no ill effects on my plants. Before that I was using filtered water which was a PITA.

4 Likes

It’s much easier to just use tapwater. Cannabis isn’t sensitive like reef tanks or growing orchids.

6 Likes

Chlorine and chloramine in our tap here, no problems. Just not good for recirc. Drain to waste only I’ve found.

3 Likes

Thanks all for your time and help. Guess I’ll just set up a few 5 gallon jugs and let them off gas… do you think that I should run a fish aquarium Stone or it’s not needed?

2 Likes

If it’s chloramine it won’t make a difference. I do run an air stone just for water movement.

Edit. It does not off gas

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve been coming to understand and it still has no adverse effects watering with it?

1 Like

I use water straight from the tap, ph’d. chlorine and all.

2 Likes

I use tap water with chlorine and chloramine and just a hint of arsenic.

4 Likes

Mmmm arsenic my favorite :yum:

1 Like

Nope not with hydro anyways, may be different with organic or living soil… I couldn’t tell you there.

I’m sure it may depend on how much is in there as well.

1 Like

No different with organic. Tap water from 3 different cities no PHing or offgassing just straight in the pot. Only tested the first city and after that said f-it. I’ve found deficiencies in organic mostly come from the environment being out of balance.

2 Likes

I use San Francisco’s tap water which contains chloramine and supplement it with additional chloramine :joy:. I won’t dish out the big bucks for Athena Cleanse, but I do make my own and run it in my res.

1 Like

If you use city water, I learned thru fish tanks, you let it set 24 hours. Throw in an airstone on a cheap pump.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Thanks for the info !! I decided to research my city water it’s only chlorine. I have a water softener in my house but there’s a bypass on it . I’m gonna use that water from the bypass and use air stones for 48 hours.

Beneficial microbes won’t do well with chlorine or chloromine if you’re trying to go organic or living soil as chlorine is put into water to kill bacteria and microbes.

That’s what I do. I set out 10-20 1 gallon jugs for a couple day and
refill them after use. takes 10-12 gallons to water/feed the garden.
I like to have some extra ready to go.

Check for Chloramine in your city water. Mine uses both chlorine and chloramine. the first evaps but the second DOESN’T. If you’re using soil it’ll buffer it but I was head scratching problem after problem doing hydro (no buffer) until I changed my filter from just chlorine filtration to both chlorine and chloramine.