Plant not doing good after it was doing the best..?

so this plant out preformed all the others for the first month now thenrest of mine seem to be doing much better i mixed my own soil and have them all transplanted to 2gal grow bags from looking at them any advice would be appreciated and on the plant with the issue can i trim some if those fan leaves blocking the new leaves trying to grow…?

9 Likes

Those leaves are like solar panels giving energy to the plant, in case of trimming the lowers in the shade that don’t produce but steal energy would be the ones to take care of … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

What are u using for soil and nutes?

1 Like

Looks like it can use a drink… The other plants look good. Bottom leaves turning yellow could be a few things stress, watering ,light but my best guess would be Nitrogen …Thats were I d start.

2 Likes

fabric pots dry out wicked fast in the sun

2 Likes

thank you so much for the comments everyone i used 50/50 soil and coco coir some perlite vercumlite, bat guano and some of the fungus stuff for root growth but how often should i be watering cause i thought i was over watering by water once a day no…?

2 Likes

I’d move it to a shaded area and dry amend Dr earth 4.4.4. Your soil has little to no food for the plant. Even a worm casting tea would help.

1 Like

a small black fabric pot in the sun, sitting on pavement? worry about under-watering.
lift the pots frequently until you get a feel…

if they don’t start greening up some soon with increased irrigation, some water soluble food may be in order.

1 Like

im in the SoCAL high desert. Hot temps, blazing bright sun and no moisture in the air is whats its like here. I know some guys that water 3x a day. i personally have to water 2x a day most of the time. like noknees said get a feel for the weight of the bag when they are correctly wet. u will know in an instant if they are too light. I water my indoor grow daily.

3 Likes

My trick for growing plants in that hot afternoon sun. “Root rocks” some big flat field rocks, just put them ontop of the soil. It creates a shady wet spot in the soil, and the roots will thrive under a rock. They keep moisture in during the hot day, and keep warm during the cold nights.

You can then easily top dress, or water in nutrients. the rocks will create a great spot to feed the plants. just sprinkle that fertilizer stuff under the rock. roots will soak the stuff right up.

I would go with some bigger bags, too. 2 gal is kinda small for a plant that size, in my novice opinion.

3 Likes

It looks thirsty, and possibly needing some nitrogen, but could also be that the soil is still a bit hot. A foliar feed of kelp/seaweed is always a good go to when in doubt.
In the blazing summer sun down here, I put trays under all my pots and then water from the top until the trays is full, and then water again when it is empty.
If your soil is well aerated, and you have enough heat and sun to keep the level of transpiration up, sitting them
trays in a ‘self watering’ setup like this won’t cause any root rot issues.

1 Like

You need to use a better soil. Not nearly enough perlite (vermiculite works too that plant needs both) and coco coir. Get yourself ocean forest or happy frog.

Always always always be adding Epsom salt at least every other watering. It probably needs more nitrogen too because it uses up more the more light their is that had a high PAR, sunlight foremost among them of course.

Additionally, it may getting too hot. Sometimes a plants vascular network can’t get moisture where it needs to go before it is evaporated off.

Ph is also a possibility but unlikely. Reverse osmosis or dehumidifier water should always be used since it’s very empty water, sub 20ppm. I use dehumidifier but RO will cost less power.

Don’t be insulted, we all make mistakes and there is a reason not everyone engages in this hobby. Just get your soil sorted out you’ll be fine. Also, soil with sand and/or sphagnum is always a bad choice because our ladies hate sphagnum. Always coco coir. We pay dearly for every corner we cut in this thing. I’ve got two similarly situated plants that were on the brink of death one of them from a now defunct breeder according to them their most potent strain/pheno. Brought back to health, harvested and then revegged (yes it works and yes there is a trick to speed it up from ~3 months to less than 2) all because of a whitefly infestation (put your plants outside and apparently nature solves the problem for you. Who could have thunk it) the only difference I can really see is the n soils we are using. Friability is extremely important (the tendency of a soil to stay very lightly clumped when squeezed tightly and released.) There just isn’t enough ammendment in your mix to make it light enough with enough fragility so the roots are having a bad time. If there is sphagnum at all or wood product/by product in the soil that will also be a problem. Always sift your soil, make maximum use of space inside containers.

This is an easy one, you got this man just spend the coin on top notch substrate. Ocean forest/happy frog, generous perlite, coco coir and vermiculite if it’s around. Too many folks don’t pay enough attention to their soil.

Also looking at plant size and container it may be root bound, it can happen around that size in containers that size. It’s an odd phenomena but some are very sensitive to it. Some cheese cloth shade would be wise while sorting out the problem.

If something I’ve listed here doesn’t solve it please message me, say something. Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for all of the tips and suggestions!!

1 Like

This is simply not true.

1 Like