Please advise me about my males for breeding

I would like some help with some information about the males in my project. When I culled the males this season, I rubbed all the stems very roughly with my fingers and up against my nose, and selected two that stood out way beyond the other ones in pungency; in another league. Then I double checked to make sure I wasnt getting desensitized by going over all of them again. They are very pungent… I took clones of them, and as you can see in the photograph, Male B took off faster into reveg than Male A. You can also see what the flowers that I left on the branches have become.

I know better than to assume that the bigger one simply has more vigor, because sometimes if I take clones again I see that given a second or third chance, maybe the other one is better after all, and I can judge with better accuracy which one has the growth patterns and vigor I seek. So that is why I keep Male A fro now. Also, the Male A has more trichomes, and has a bit more powerful aroma. I am worried that these might be expressing hermaphrodite stuff here, and it might be a waste of time to further any line using these two. Should I discard these two plants and start with something new, or are these looking good to work with?

8 Likes

I can’t tell from the pic but if it’s intersexed I’d bin it.

It sounds like you already I’ve chosen the one you like :facepunch:

7 Likes

Male B has quite a few hairs I can see. Male A looks solid, frosty and no lady parts.

7 Likes

Yeah, I see pistils on B and I would skip that one entirely. That is the sign that it failed the reveg stress test process and went intersex.

I don’t see any hairs on A, but if I were you I would keep an eye on it.

3 Likes

A looks pretty good, and the frost is a great sign. B is intersex for sure, watch A closely though just in case. Frosty males aren’t easy to find, good job

2 Likes

Thank you so very much for the replies and being a part of this with me. This is exactly what I wanted to know, and is extremely helpful in my decision!

1 Like

I’ve started over a thousand plants from seed over the past 20 years and have only come across two truly exceptional males in all that time. Honestly, as long as its not a hermaphrodite you’re fine.

1 Like