Popping seeds question

if i saoked some seeds in a wet paper towel that did not pop, can you just scuff the same seeds and try again.

i got 10/12 across 12 strains. that is really good. however, i only have 2 beans of this one kind and the first didn’t pop after 3 days in the paper towel. i wondered if there was tech to sort this before trying my last bean.

Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

If it hasn’t popped open after a couple days I’ve had some luck with gently squeezing the seed along the seam until it cracks open. Then planting it directly in whatever starter media I’m using.

7 Likes

Agreed, crack it. Sandpaper/files don’t work wet.
I use my teeth, someone said “like a sunflower seed” which is helpful

5 Likes

i’ll give this a shot. the seed is on the smaller side. dark black and shiny. it may have a hard shell. i didn’t see a seam opening up at all, but will do.

3 Likes

The seam is the line where the 2 round sides of the seed meet around the entire circuitry. Doesn’t matter if it’s opening, you’re gonna crack it along that line.

4 Likes

You could help it along and these are all good solutions. But some are just slow and you could give it some time.

10 Likes

Also a fair assessment.

3 Likes

since all the other seeds more or less have popped. this one is going to be behind. if it’s too far behind it’s not worth running…it’s kind of strict here. waiting too long could mess up stuff.

3 Likes

Good luck, let us know how it works out!

2 Likes

Yes fair enough. Worth a go.

3 Likes

If you had more time, there is no harm in letting the seeds dry out and trying again. You could also try floating on water/peroxide. I’ve had some success just using a knife to cut a bit of shell off the seam @HeadyBearAdventures was talking about.

Cracking is a good option if you can do it carefully. I’ve thrown caution to the wind several times and ended up squashing the seed. :persevere:

8 Likes

I’ve heard that, and also using nail clippers to take off the pointed tip of the seed too.

Guilty if this too. I comfort myself by telling myself that it wasn’t going to sprout anyway. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Needle nose visegrips seem to do the trick for me if there stubborn.
Barley holding then turning the pressure until it cracks.

4 Likes

I start to take drastic measures after … 2 weeks in general. As a dead line, no matter what i decide to do after.

2 Likes

it’s not planted in soil though…

It’s what I understood so far.

I do a seed dance to the beat of a song by the Cherry Poppin’ Daddies.

Nail clippers are a good tool for cracking the shell I’ve found.

well, in about 5 or 6 days the paper towels start to smell bad. i don’t think two weeks are in the cards for me.

1 Like

I have horrible luck with the paper towels. I float them in water and a drop of H2O2 until they have 1/4" tails

3 Likes