Potency of Seeded Bud

According to Mel and Ed’s growing Bible yes it does effect potency because everything is going towards making beans.
And yes it does change the taste, the hash will be ok that’s what most people do with seeded plants is turn them into hash.

2 Likes

@beacher - While the above method will work, I would recommend a different method.

Trim, cure and store your buds just like you always do. As you pick out buds to smoke, take them apart with your fingers and the seeds will start falling out. You may have to squeeze some calyxes to get the goodies inside. Pick apart the buds thoroughly in this manner any time you are preparing to smoke, collect the seeds in a little dish, then put them in labelled baggies. I keep the labelled baggies in a jar in my fridge with the rest of my seeds. Next time I pull out some seeded bud, I repeat the process and add the seeds to the appropriate baggie. Collection of seeds occurs over weeks or months with this method, but what’s the rush?

To me, the buds from the seeded branches smell, taste and smoke just like the non-seeded branches. The seeded stuff is just a bit more work to prep for smoking - but worth it to see all those big, black/brown jewels pop out. Pollinating a couple of branches and using this collection method, I end up with more than enough mature seeds for myself and plenty to share with others. There’s no downside, IMO. Every run can be a “seed run”.

11 Likes

My two Lincolns… yes, seeded bud is different. The plant uses its energy to make seeds, leaving less energy for secondary metabolites (THC, terpenes, etc.). As mentioned earlier, the way I collect seeds, a lot of the trichomes are knocked off making what’s left less potent.

5 Likes

Good trick, the seeds are just chilling in the jar anyways I guess lol. Do you put a dessicant or anything in the fridge baggies you keep them in?

1 Like

Since there are differing opinions on this, will be interesting to see what MY results are. Still 4 weeks away from the chop, I WILL post up my thoughts on this when I test them. Obviously NOT as simple as it appears!

5 Likes

You know this would make an interesting experiment. Grow several clones, seed half, then get potency and terpene testing on the two groups.

6 Likes

I am past that point…but I CAN test the seeded branch against unseeded branches on the TWO plants I pollinated.

5 Likes

I’d be grabbing a screen and making dry seive.
Wouldn’t even mess with it.

5 Likes

I only pollinated 2 small lower branch’s on both of the plants. Small branch’s, wanted 100 seeds.
So the bud will not be covered in seeds. 5 plants in there, 2 got the pollen, other three none.

Looking at the 5 plants I DO NOT see any differences on the plants(other than affected 4 branch’s) and they look pretty much the same. Just hope my hand pollination worked, and believe it has, feel hard things in the calyx’s.

2 Likes

I most definitely use a dry sift screen (or my trim bin now) when I de-seed. My kief jar is filling up quickly.

4 Likes

I always trim my bud on my 156 LPI screen over a mirror. Will do the same to get the seeds.

1 Like

Mason jar with about a cup of rice in the bottom (I think I might have one dessicant pack in there, too). I change the rice maybe 2 times a year.

One thing I always make sure to do is take the jar out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature before opening it. Pulling it straight out of the fridge and opening it will result in instant condensation of water on the inside of the jar, which is a bad thing. Sure, the rice will absorb it eventually, but still.

The baggies themselves only contain seeds.

3 Likes

2 branches shouldn’t make to helluva a difference but if you go pollinating the whole plant, pull your seeds grab your screens the rest is a loss

2 Likes

You’ll have more than 100 seeds and ALL the bud will be great smoke. That’s my prediction.

3 Likes

Thought I posted a pic of what I did, let me see IF I can re find it.

AGREE…had I pollinated entire plant, I would do exactly as you suggest!

3 Likes

Collected this way

Pollinated ONLY these branch’s

6 Likes

I like to pull individual male flowers when they’re about ready to pop.
Put them on a plate and let them finish drying.
Then i dry the pollen and put it in the freezer.

Have more control this way.
Sometimes I seed the whole plant with a fan and a shake.

3 Likes

Awesome, I should really be storing my seeds in the fridge I’ve always just kept them in a box at room temp. I’ll move them in there tomorrow…kills me to think some of my old treasured strains may have survived if I had done that.

This is exactly why I changed my storage method. I lost some great stuff from the early 90s because I left them in a baggie in a wooden stash box, in a cardboard box, in the basement.

Also, many of the seeds I have in that jar now are seeds I paid stupid money for and I can’t grow them all in a timely fashion. It would suck to have any of them go to waste. I’d rather give them away than let them turn to duds.

3 Likes

I store mine in the freezer in amber colored gram bottles with moisture control in the same bottle.
The darker in storage the better.

1 Like