Powdery mildew - An easily exterminated parasite

ok are you all ready for this? I will post the photo and also clump the photos by “one of these is not like the others” monkey eye.

Snow berries. This mildew colony was unique. Might require more investigation!

5 Likes

Plantain Mildew
Cucumber Mildew

6 Likes

The butternut squash mildew, and it belongs above in the same group as plantain and cucumber. I’ll explain later!

6 Likes

Wild Aster

Comfry
You can see why these are grouped up eh? Fucking mildew pods.

5 Likes

The largest group of all. This includes all the rest of the mildew colonies I could find! So many. Each one of these colonies I put in the same group, not that they are the same organism.

Wood Aven

Columbine

Sweet Clover
…more in a second of this group…

4 Likes

Continued this group with:

Red Clover

Sweet Pea

Snap Pea

4 Likes

As far as I can tell there are three groups; the chains, the pods and the scatter. Chains include cucumber, butternut and plantain. Scatters are wood aven, columbine, sweet clover, red clover, peas, sweet peas. Pods are Comfry and wild aster. The outlier is snow berries, some kind of shit weed plant the chipmunks like to eat. I only saw mycelium for some reason, but that’s just another question to be answered, lol!
I gathered the samples up from the property here just within 50 meters of the lab. With more prodding, I can probably see if the colonies I grouped are even remotely the same. Just because they “look the same” does not mean they are. What you can be certain of though is the ones that don’t look the same are definitely not the same colony or species.

4 Likes

I just recently noticed pm on my black walnut tree and my comfrey plants !? Does the PM go dormant in winter or die off

Some interesting task at hand MR .Crowe

3 Likes

It overwinters on either downed plant material or the plant itself when it’s dormant.

4 Likes

So you’re remedy would be ? …
Lot of fruit trees and bushes here .pear apple peach elderberry apricot hazelnuts black red raspberries plums … already have some kind of black leaf spot …lot to learn about the trees…
Best fruit year so far !

3 Likes

I’d start by spraying a dormant tree in the spring or fall with sulfur. Spray downed plant material as well. It really hits the colony hard! Like an H bomb.

4 Likes

A water diluted suffer spray I take it…That’s one thing …we have to up our game on…spraying and fungus prevention while trying to be OrGaNiC

3 Likes

Can’t get more organic than some elemental sulfur. Plants love that shit! One tablespoon per liter, or even half that. It’s super deadly to all those mildew fungus colonies I posted photos of.

5 Likes

Keep up the good work brother!
FOR SCIENCE

3 Likes

Next step to the puzzle is I put some measurements on the different parts of the colony. If I know fungal colonies, they are pretty uniform deep down inside like clones of each other almost. If they are the same fungus, they don’t vary in appearance. So if those conidia are a different size, you know it’s a different mildew species. I’m just crunching some
“The American Phytopathological Society (APS)”
Exercises in identifying plant pathogens focusing on mildew in particular. That’s where I hatched this crazy idea! Link previously posted.

5 Likes

Zinnias here are mildew free.

Same with the Asters and petunias!

4 Likes

Mine too, I treated all their patches last fall, thanks!.. but now we have cercospora leaf spot.

We need more asters, especially fall ones. The pollinators love them. Do they get the same powdery mildew as say zinnias, or anything else that gets effected?

I’ll spray what we have when everything dies back.

I’m still confused on how pm can only live on live plants, but can overwinter… how does that work?

Do y’all get downy mildew up there?

1 Like

A friend of mine got that cercospora on his weed plants. Never tried anything on it though so I have no idea. The wild asters here have powdery mildew but not the asters in the garden. Not sure why, but they could be an entirely different plant that is non host genome. I’ll look it up.

2 Likes

I think I read that the wild aster is a separate genus only in north america. nuts… I’m getting the itch to test that by rubbing mildew on the plants :smiley:

2 Likes

I haven’t personally seen downy mildew! Yet.

2 Likes