Powdery mildew - An easily exterminated parasite

About 6 of around 20 plants. Based on your info I knew to look around instead of lose hope on the method. Sure enough I found some next to my chocolope and seen where it spread. My plants are all close together, plus my touching plant to plant makes sense
Pic is exactly where I found it in the raspberry, deadnettle, ivy patch

4 Likes

ooo! Potential candidates! I wish I was there to study the colonies and see if they match up in physical characteristics. I don’t have mildew on cannabis, ivy, nettle or raspberry, so it fits the evidence gathered so far.

3 Likes

Oh my! So I went on an expedition in the woods. Turns out, like many invasive species it can’t penetrate the woods. The forest is unfriendly to invasive plants! I found a few here and there along a trail that was punched into the woods with the cat, but no mildew. Instead I saw mildew on the “yellow hawkweed” growing along the trail. I already know the hawkweed mildew and aster mildew aren’t the same species. It also seems the “orange hawkweed” isn’t getting infested. Yo, that’s weird!

4 Likes

I wonder if it’s more like true natives to the area are resistant? I live next to some woods, I’ll sniff around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh shit I was talking about the asters themselves. As an invasive species, it looses out to the forest, and can’t penetrate. The only other mildew colony that looks like the aster one, is the comfry. Comfry isn’t growing in the woods either!
So, no I don’t see the comfry mildew OR the aster mildew in forest, AND there is a complete lack of comfry plants and very few asters. I could only find the asters beside the roads, and trails. The red clover mildew is everywhere, just like the plants themselves.

2 Likes

After I coated it in cleaning vinegar, it looks like the mildew is ready to ride again! Caused some damage to the parasite, but not like sulfur! Sulfur is like battery acid to the colony.

4 Likes

ok so listen. I’ve got some wild aster seeds, and I’m going to sprout them. I’ve got… ideas, man! Since the wild aster mildew isn’t infectious to any plants other than aster, I can toy with it’s ass without worrying about escape.
Can I grow a mildew free plant, and then rub some frozen mildew on it, and get it infested? Inquiring minds… NEED to know. :smiley:

5 Likes

Sprout 'em in the fridge, they say! Yessir! I’m stratifying as we speak!

3 Likes

Alright!!! Pumped up for fucking around with that stuff. I got about 30 aster seeds, so I should have some viable ones. It’ll take 6-8 weeks to sprout, and then I’ll be raising little aster seedlings. I’ve got a frozen aster mildew colony in the freezer! Just above where I’m popping the seeds. Now…
As long as nobody tosses that shit out, I should have materials. I’m curious about the infestation routine. Does it have to touch the infested material? How far away can the infested material be and still cause infection? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

4 Likes

Without thinking i added 15 drops of wetting agent to sulpher, I’ve just had the horrible realization that it could be oil based and ive sprayed it, i can’t find a straight answer on Google.

Is a wetting agent ok to use?
The product is growth technology non ionic wetting agent.

Cheers

3 Likes

You can use wetting agents, but when it says oils, that is almost subjective. Like fats as well. It’s best to test it on an area of the plant first if it’s unknown how the mix will react. Worst case it burns holes in the plants, I don’t think it’ll kill them.

1 Like

Thanks a lot that’s a relief :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hoooooly I went for a long hike in the woods. I was searching for host plants, and mildew infections. I found a large number of aster plants, on the trail and near the trail. Same with the red clover. Very rare to find a red clover or aster when you’re just wandering around in the forest. Down by the house, they are everywhere! Red clover, and wild asters. So far, all data points towards it being limited by the host itself, combined with it’s ability to spread.
Large gaps between host plants, results in no spread. I think I’ll raise the suspected spread distance to at least a meter. So it’ll be from 1-6 meters and I’d likely give it a probability with 6 meters being 0% and 0-1 meters being 100% probability. Woah, I’m starting to quantify it. Dangerous, man.

4 Likes

The powdery mildew on the clover, and cucumbers aren’t the same species.
Same with weed, the mildew isn’t growing on cannabis where I rubbed it.
I do see a bit of mildew starting on the spaghetti squash, so I must have missed some colony over there. I’ll do a better job next year where I make sure to spray all the ground before I plant the plants. I suppose out there, the colony is a little more scattered around. Perhaps I should do an industrial style eradication? Takes a while for the stink to wear off!

3 Likes

I appreciate you going deep and sharing this journey with us.

Last night I was in the garden looking at powdery mildew on some prickly lettuce. For the first time I was fascinated with it. I’ve always just looked at it as a “thing” that gets on plants and needs to be destroyed. Last night I looked at it as another organism, a living, dynamic species that’s trying to survive and reproduce like the rest of us.

I still don’t want any in my garden, but I have a new respect for it and I’m gonna approach how I deal with it differently.

So thanks again, thanks for documenting and sharing all of this with us.

6 Likes

Thanks for the props. I had noticed that in all the articles about powdery mildew, they never really gave you information that helped explain what the colony is doing and how to kill it. Explanations just lead to the conclusion you can’t get rid of it. The explanations didn’t even tell you HOW the infestation happens.
So I got a phytopathology study from a university and performed the study on the mildew. The answers I extracted from the colony were startling.

6 Likes

Im seeing a little burning on the leafs i wanted to confirm its sulpher.

Thanks

4 Likes

People usually report when it’s incompatible, that there are holes eaten in the leaf. So if that’s damage from the mix, it’s minimal!

2 Likes

Could be. I’ve seen leaves like that on plants weeks after treatment.

2 Likes

have used this - watch out for sulfur issues (too much) it does work --FYI Humboldt County’s Own has a product just like Key-to-Life and is cheaper their (Sonic Bloom) You can get a sample of their line for $15.00 One can get good results with Terpinator and Purpinator also.

2 Likes