Powdery mildew - An easily exterminated parasite

I was watching hash church and the doctors showed the scent molecules were manufactured from sulfur.

3 Likes

I never asked almost forgot.Did you ever see a cross relationship with that Plantago major plant and passing on Powdery mildew?I remember you smearing a whole Moldy leaf directly on a plant but never saw if it was compatible to pass spores

2 Likes

I’ve rubbed the plantain on the cucumber and cannabis. I would rate the plantain as incompatible, due to it’s proximity already. Definitive answer in about a week.

2 Likes

Even in the greenhouse now, the surviving mildew is struggling. Unlike when the calla lilies were in there, the colony is trying to regenerate from the little bit I missed. It’s not going too well because of the distance the plants are from each other. I’ll really see how long it takes to go a single meter in this round. If that actually happens, lol!

2 Likes

Well I have results! Plantain mildew and the mildew on red clover failed to germinated on both cucumber and cannabis.
Also! I prevented the spread of the mildew colony on the mother plant, the calla lilies. They are still clean, and some of them are still blooming in a field of aster, clover and dandelion mildew. I would assume then, that the mildew from those plants won’t infest the lilies.

8 Likes

Hey thanks all you beautiful readers! This thread has become popular beyond my wildest dreams. Remember, each person who reads this thread, 2 mildew colonies die :smiley:
Don’t start believing in things that can be easily falsified! Keep it real!
Oh yah I remember my darker saying…lol! For every person who reads this thread, a dupont chemist hangs themselves!

9 Likes

Yo yo! OK! SO you’re thinking WTF is up with those bags? Bag 1 is mildew colony in freezer. Bag 2 is host plant stratifying. It’s a process called domestication, where I take that little bugger parasite, and I bring it inside. I pet it… nice little colony. :heart: I love you!!! hah hah! I feed it, and nurture it. After a while, it’s my friend!
Then I yank the rug and gank that bitch. mmmmmm… murder… most foul!
That’s metaphorical though. The truth is much darker.
Once I have the mildew colony growing on the host plant, I will test the spread in the lab. I hope this will speed up the process, because the colony’s life cycle is so fucking ponderous. It’ll do much better in an atmosphere I can control. Because I’m it’s bestie.

5 Likes

Just trying to form some kind of hypothesis about the spread. It seems to move slower on plants that are closer to the ground. Like the spread is almost some kind of function of how high in the air it is. I’ll keep observing! But here’s what I really want to do. I need to get a high power UV light and video record the spread. I was looking at some interesting shit where buddy was video recording the spread of fungal spores from a shelf fungus. Off-camera there was a powerful UV source you could see beaming like a MOFO. I was like ohhh yah! The fucking UV! :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

On the hash church episode, the grower recommended spray the ground with sulfur and apply hay mulch to cover the ground in order to defend against septoria.

3 Likes

You might wonder things like how I know the spread of powdery mildew isn’t infinite somehow through magic. Well here’s the thing. When the mildew set into the garden, I didn’t think much of it. As far as I knew it was blowing in the fucking wind, right? After a while though I noticed that the mildew was confined to a certain area. Off in the distance I could see host plants that had no infection. OK, so it’s not everywhere then right? year one… year two… etc. It was still confined. That’s when I noticed it was only on certain plants. Only infecting squash and distant relatives. Simply couldn’t be environmental. The plants were in relative proximity. After a decade, I decided it simply couldn’t bridge the gap.
The 30 previous years of growing squash plants, there wasn’t any mildew.
This is the thing… there’s no way to determine where the mildew came from. All I can say is it was likely one of the many nursery plants. Purchased and brought into the garden. Exactly like the calla lilies. I’m gonna start calling that species “nursery mildew” man. That’s what it is.

4 Likes

See that? Fucking Bugbee is unhinged! That’s totally not true and you can falsify it in a heart beat.

4 Likes

Here are many things that aren’t mildew. How do I know it’s not mildew? Well, not only can I see it’s not mildew, the chance of infestation is 0%. How do I know that? Because I never brought in infected plant material. Take that bugbee.

There you go. A normal human would assume that’s mildew… and be wrong, of course.

4 Likes

OK! So listen to this case study! This one is on the nurseries around town. There are two of them. One is infested with “nursery” mildew. One isn’t! IF I go to someone’s house, I can tell where they get their plants from. Either:

1. they sprout it themselves - no mildew
  2. they get it from “Laura” - no mildew
  3. they get it from “Tom” - mildew INFESTATION!

Laura and Tom are the two nurseries around here that sell bedding plants. If you were unfortunate enough to purchase from “Tom’s” greenhouse, you are now infested. That’s ground 0 for mildew.

3 Likes

Alrighty then. So here’s another case study! So my friend would always grow this garden in a mini greenhouse he made. Cucumbers, water melons and squash. He was sprouting his seeds and growing etc. Then he got long COVID and had a hard time moving around. So he went…to “Tom’s” greenhouse and purchased his plants. It’s like 4 years later and he’s bitching about mildew. Says it gets worse year after year. hah hah no doubt. I told him to hydrogen bomb the area, and since it’s a mini greenhouse it shouldn’t take much to clean up that mess with some sulfur.
NOW! This is the thing. My friend doesn’t believe you can extract knowledge out of things. He told me specifically, that I only know things because someone else told me, or I read it. Anyone who has read this thread knows that’s not true at all. Knowledge can easily be extracted. I told him the fact he thinks that, means he doesn’t know what science is.
He was one of the blueberry planters. Someone who went to “tom’s” nursery and bought some blueberries. When I told him the ph has to be below 6, he looked at me blankly. I said you have to test the ph of the soil it could be toxic. He never did a thing. I’m sure the plant is dead now, because it’s been 4 years.

5 Likes

Host plant, stratifying! I know what you’re thinking. How are those moldy ass seeds going to sprout? The mold only molds the non-viable seeds, and organic materials that are dead. This is an important lesson I learned from sprouting clematis seeds. During the stratification stage, all non-viable seeds disintegrated in mold. After a while I transferred all the seeds that remained onto a clean paper towel to complete the cycle. That took 6 months. This aster will only take another 4 weeks.

3 Likes

So, after not seeing anything even remotely resembling pm all Spring and Summer, it’s shown up again. Zinnias, Bee Balm, and Verbenas. Never had it on the squash. Still not on the comfrey.

Late Winter, I’d sprayed sulfur on the areas that had pm last year. Probably missed some areas, or didn’t spray some enough.

We have brought in some plants from Wally World. Coleus, Gaillardia, mums, but nothing showing any pm, and they are at least 50’ from anything that’s effected now. And, I don’t think any of those are hosts.

We have had some very windy events recently, hurricane remnants. I don’t know what’s the pm situation is with our neighbors, but they’re pretty far away, 300 yards at the closest. I’m wondering if the wind may have picked up some infected leaf matter and gifted us, lol!

Wrens are constantly bring in new nesting materials, too.

Maybe some of this pm is wind borne, or at least air borne, lol!

We do have one patch of clear zinnias that are about 50’ from an infected patch. The clear patch had pm last year on zinnias and bee balm. I’ll try to pay attention long enough to see when/if the infection jumps.

It had been very, very dry (think drought) up until about a month ago, and pm showed up a couple of weeks after that.

Can’t spray sulfur now because we use an oily deer repellent, and don’t want to screw up the flowers for the late pollinators… who may also be vectors, IDK.

I will do a couple or three sprays over the winter, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your story actually resonates with something I’ve noticed about the colony. Gimme a little bit of playing satisfactory. I’ve got some observations about the life cycle!

So what I noticed is that the reproductive event happens in the fall. Not sure what triggers it, but it’s like the cannabis plants start to bloom just as the colony is doing a final push to reproduce. I’ve never noticed it indoors. I mean the strange pulse in the reproductive cycle. Sort of like it’s doing it’s final push to spread before winter takes out the plants. Alright! And the following pattern as well. The infestation seems to be most thorough on plants that have come from an infested place and then get placed in an infested place. So I’m wondering if the number of reproductive parts laying around are linked to the onset of the infestation. See, like there is a probability at play here. For example right now, there is still only traces of the mildew colony trying to regenerate on the squash. It wasn’t like the year the calla lilies were brought in. The mildew shit was everywhere those plants were. And those plants were everywhere.
OK now for what could theoretically happen. I mean, wind could toss some plant material in the air and have it rain down. Here’s the food for thought. Do you think I am worried about spreading the mildew when I am walking through the garden with a contaminated sample? Not really. Time, and exposure. Germination and spread. I deem it extremely unlikely that it can spread from there in that fashion. IF I drop the sample on top of another plant of the same family? Probably start the spread, if I was a bettin’ man. These are the questions I am actually going to be exploring in the lab. Finer details that are hard to figure out when you’re outside in the elements of nature. I want to see exactly what it takes to get infested.

6 Likes

You’re just an evil mastermind at heart. If you hadn’t discovered mildew, who knows what evil…? :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Snuff films with bugs is my second favorite!
hah hah so another case study! I just said hey you got mildew around here? I could see plants growing.
Yah lots of mildew all over the plants.
Great! Can I take a sample? I get out the biohazard sack. Where did you get your plants?
Sprouted them myself.
Oh really?? I’ve really got to get a sample, where is it at?
Over here!
no, that’s lawn clippings.
Over here!
No, that’s just some dirt splashes from the rain off the roof.
Over here!
…hmmmm i think that’s natural color of the leaf, but let me take a sample just in case.
My mind says there is 0% chance of mildew. Lets see what the 'scope says!

'Scope says it’s clean! All samples are clean, only some black mold.

6 Likes