Powdery mildew - An easily exterminated parasite

Ohh yah! Right so that was a search for what I call “nursery mildew”. There’s this other strain on peas and sweet peas. I suspect it’s the same strain as on the red clover. The red clover mildew seems to infest peas, and sweet clover as well. It’s like… all over! Just like the host plants, the mildew is everywhere! Take a single step and you’re stepping on it. The only place I’ve seen it grow without mildew is the forest. Seems to be resilient against invasive species. No invasive species, no mildew hosts. The host plants are extremely rare. Mostly culustered around disturbed areas with human activity.

3 Likes

Wow on hash church, Collin said something totally unhinged about powdery mildew.
“Look you see this little bit of dew here? Once the sun hits it, Powdery Mildew Guaranteed!”
I didn’t know if I should laugh, or cry, about his water scale problem.

2 Likes

I chose laugh, and I fucking laughed my ass off!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

When do you think it started replicating? I think the outbreak time was like in the final 2 weeks of august. That’s when any remaining colony seems to start infesting and transfers to clean plants.

1 Like

Records here show replication event likely 20th of august or a few days sooner.

2 Likes

I’ll see if I can get in touch with someone.

1 Like

hmmm, it seems like a waste of time. The only people who want to talk about mildew are the ones that are infested by it! I need to find a phytopathologist or something.

5 Likes

Probably somewhere around the end of August? Not exactly sure, I had stopped looking for it, lol!

2 Likes

Sweet, yah I detected around august 20th. I’m starting to wonder if the replication event is tied to a certain time of the year. Like the replication event here for mildew happened at the exact same time over there.

2 Likes

I’m starting to think the rain and mildew replication season are just coincidences. The reason I say that is because it didn’t rain here it was super dry until just a couple days ago. Here, the replication event happened while it was dry as hell!

4 Likes

So I had a huge chat with Marcus about the mildew thing. Woah I learned things about people and the industry. Not about mildew itself. Very clear the panel on hash church doesn’t understand mildew either. Wild shit! There were so many unhinged takes on mildew, I was shocked. Unfortunately, they are parroting back bruce bugbee, and Cornell who apparently don’t know shit about mildew.

4 Likes

I watched some of their early episodes and never thought they were even mildly informative. Always seemed to be a panel full of grifters. Surprised they’re still going after all these years…

2 Likes

lol! Some are just unhinged takes! If you are talking about when the channel got taken over by crypto coin grifters, then for sure! Much grift! It gets super boring when people just ramble on though, that’s for real. I always play a computer game while I watch/listen. It just restarted after a long hiatus. All the videos were deleted and stuff. IF they’re just peddling nonsense, I’ll sniff it out. sniff sniff
Yet, they linked to a Cornell study I read and then I was like fuck me, even Cornell is full of shit. So… On that front… I should contact Cornell?

6 Likes

We’ll see. Usually it just gets ignored, after all!

3 Likes

This here? That’s my victory lap. I eradicated the colony on the host plant, and prevented further spread of the parasite. If I had failed, it would mean “nursery mildew” would have penetrated the entire garden. Every mildew free location would have become infested, because the host plants are everywhere. Remember, mildew doesn’t kill itself off - you have to kill it or it lives forever.

4 Likes

The strangest part is how close it came to infesting everything. Last year when the lilies arrived, I had no idea they were covered in mildew. LUCKY they were only placed in the mildew infested area, so there wasn’t further spread. This year, after the first spray of sulfur, they were moved to every random location in the garden. So I hunted them down for the second spray. That fucked up the colony. What I am starting to think is I should institute a “nursery mildew” protocol that melts the colony before it enters the garden. How? A quick spray of sulfur when it arrives, and then another spray 2 week later. Once the plant is sterilized, it doesn’t even matter. The colony is fucked.

3 Likes

So you are wondering. Perhaps you are already studying the spread, except on other colonies. To make sure it’s the same basic concept. Why yes!!!
These are photos of Asters. My mom likes her asters alright. She has planted her asters in the “safe zone” where the infestation can’t reach. Those White infested plants in the first image are the asters on the other side of the garden. 6 meters away. Untouched by mildew, right? Host plants are DRIPPING and it’s mildew replication season! That part started last month, so it’s had a good hard month in replication phase to spread to the other asters. Except it fails. The asters have been here for a few years now and are perennial. I think she planted a couple annual ones, as well.

2 Likes

Now, just to show you how close the areas are, and what’s up. I know people who don’t believe me will never review the evidence. That’s ok, I hope they like mildew :smiley:

The asters are behind that big plant and they are clean.

3 Likes

lol! You notice that calla lily in the final aster image? That was a mildew host plant!!! For “Nursery mildew”.

1 Like