Preserving terps in cure

Ditto, I’ve been doing the same prior to cure.

7 Likes

The one thing I can tell ya is you want to get that temp down closer to below 70 degrees f. Above 70f the Terps start to deteriorate

8 Likes

Yep I saw someone say that too…I might try that for my next one

4 Likes

Ya you’re right. It’s that I between stage that gets ya lol. When you hang a wet plant it’s ok to dry out somewhat quickly, it’s roughly day 3-7 where you’re in that weird in between zone and the bud is kinda pliable but will burn in a doob.

Then I either jar it and it’s too wet and I have to constantly breathe the jars, or I leave it for another day and it’s magically crisped tf out. The paper bag is the prophylactic that protects from this no man’s land. It just dries ever so slightly over hours yet also distributes or sweats the moisture throughout the buds like in a jar

I’m really baked on g99 I’ll stop now lol, I hate curing because I feel like I still suck at it after all these years

14 Likes

I’m glad you went a little more in detail on when to bag em. It makes sense now tho, put them in bags after the initial crisp so you don’t get flat spots on the nuggets. I’m down to try this paper bag thing again. First time I did it, I didn’t notice any change so I just went straight to jars. In essence, it’s to slow down the drying process ?

6 Likes

Ya they still dry in the bags just way more slowly. Like to guess I’d say what would take 1 day in the open air would take 2-3 in the bags. It gives you alot more leeway on that in between zone.

10 Likes

My method in the past has been similar to @beacher - jarring them earlier than I should to prevent over-drying, and then leaving the jars open on their sides, rotating the jars several times a day, etc. and slowly getting them to the point I can start putting the lid on for a few hours at a time and checking RH with a (proper) hygrometer. Then at least a week of lid off/lid on dicking around until the humidity stabilizes around 62%. Then lid them up and start burping if RH climbs again.

It works very well, in my experience, but it is a total PITA. I have considered setting up something to monitor RH and automatically exchange air when the RH gets too high - similar to what @cannaloop is putting together.

However, I might just try the brown paper bags for the “in between zone” because that sounds like it’ll save me a lot of dicking around and the price is certainly right.

13 Likes

I use the big liquor commission paper bags, they work well. I had to wrap up a bell TV box on Monday, after their engineer said it was screwed. He said I had to mail it to them, due to covid. I had no brown paper to use, so I used one of my old drying bags lol, it was full of bits of trim and stank of weed lol.

I am wondering if it made it or one of the postys stole it thinking the box was full of weed. I got a receipt just in case :rofl:

12 Likes

I find curing in winter is very different than summer for me.
In winter the humidity is low so I use the basement shower area (because it is about 65F (18C). Summer I have to use warmer temperatures as the RH is significantly higher.

Here’s an idle thought in regards to burping jars…
After the jars are filled, how about dropping a paper sandwich bag over the jar (instead of the metal screw top) for a few days, then cap them when dry.

Cheers
G

14 Likes

So you just put it in the bags and leave it alone e or do you still have to “burp” or is that moisture like absorbed by the bag itself eliminating the need to burp? Sorry for my ignorance but I’m new and when I try this technique I wanna do it right lol

4 Likes

No need to burp the paper bag. Light air flow already, just a slower way to dry

6 Likes

Think of the paper bag as a buffer between the weed and the exterior air. Moisture is still escaping, just much slower. From what I have been reading, this is an effective method as long as you don’t skip the stage 1 “drying” period - in other words, you can’t just chop plants and stick them in a paper bag.

10 Likes

I am going to try this. It seems like one of those things that I feel like an idiot not to have seen all along…

6 Likes

I haven’t harvested in a long time, just getting back into it now. In the past, I use to just cut the plant and hang it upside down in a cool darkIsh area, usually my closet. Once the fan leaves are crispy, Usually 2-3 days, I start trimming the dried stuff. I let it hang dry until the stem is dry enough to snap, then I just wrap a paper bag around the whole plant and continue to hang for another 2 or so days until the buds are just p starting not feel moist when touched but is still very playable. I’ll cut the branches and cola sections and layer them in the bag until they’re popcorn dry, then I jar them and let it sweat/burp daily. It’s like letting a fresh loaf of bread cool for hours before cutting into it, it lets the moisture move slowly from the interior out, and keeping a nice consistency throughout. Remember, in the beginning, the plant cells are still alive and metabolizing sugars and nutrients that would make your smoke harsh or grassy. letting it die slowly allows it to start the curing process for you, so don’t rush it.

11 Likes

Tha is for the clarification @Indoornesian @cogitech

2 Likes

I felt like a ‘maybe idiot’ 'cause somebody must have thought before…
I didn’t find anything but it’s just too simple… :thinking:

Just another tool for the box… :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

You can also use cheese cloth instead of the metal lid insert.

I used it when I tried curing in a fridge. You can set the fridge at a low temp and keep the humity right, the only problem is you need a seperate fridge, otherwise any food with a fat content will absorb the smell of the weed, and taste like it, as well as in the freezer compartment above, and when you open the fridge door the whole house reeks of weed :open_mouth:

If you are a perfectionist and want to slow cure this is supposed to be the way to go.

9 Likes

Wow great responses,so why does wet trimming cause the hay small? And ive been doing a little experimenting and reading up, I see alot of people dry and then just throw the buds in mason jars with humidity packs right away,but isnt the point of curing to slowly bring down the humidity and if you don’t burp doesnt that block the oxygen exchange?, I mean if I could throw my buds in a jar with bodeva 62 or 65 and leave it for 2 weeks. I’m trying this method with one of my jars,I mean when I used to buy good kb or dro when I was young lol there was only haze,dro,kb,mids,headies,mersh the buds would smell so good I could smell a gram in my draw if I entered the room and the bud was dank it wasnt dry or crunchy on the outside it was moist back then used to get a different strain every week nowadays alot of the buds even at the dispensaries are lame maybe its just massachusetts,I noticed also that my buds grown under the led full spectrum with uv and ir the autos flowered earlier and the buds were so tight and compact and they had tons of more crystals trichromes which I believe is the uv but I bought numerous purple strains and not one purple bud maybe a hint I had purple lemonade,red poison,purple mazar,purple kush maybe its cause I couldn’t lower the temps enough

5 Likes

Wait… What?!!

7 Likes

Umm… Why is that a problem? :thinking:

Sounds like bonus!! :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

2 Likes