Promising strain? Doug's Varin, high THCv...?

Didn’t mean to hijack the thread. THCV is a great cannabinoid. It’s why munchies Happen and sometimes why you lose appetite after smoking too. It’s an interesting molecule depending on the CBD, THC, CBC, CBG, CBL, CBN, terpene, and flavonoid ratio also

2 Likes

That’s really interesting, thanks for the info. My ‘knowledge’ of thcv is limited to having heard that UV helps, and also that landrace sativas from high altitudes were more likely to have it.

I believe the theory is that thcv exists to protect the plant from abnormally high UV levels that are found in elevated areas. I don’t think that explains Durban showing high levels though…

2 Likes

I’d probably wager the higher levels are due to many reasons. Just a couple being the higher UV levels, generations of it, and maybe THCV having the more ideal structure for UV protection.

THC is made for many reasons. It’s a natural insecticide too. ∆8-thc I believe is the one that’s antibacterial as well.

4 Likes

I think we can all agree that it’s quite a plant! :evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Yes it is. The expression is always based off environmental need. Anything else you’re likely to lose in the next generation. Once the line is stabilized you have a strain that for a couple of generations I believe will express a phenotype very close to the plant the seed came from with a slight variation for the new environment the seeds are in of course.

3 Likes

I grow outdoors so I cannot say if UV works for increasing THCv. Gobs of UV from the sun! I have seen potent THCv from indoor grows though, and they did not have any UV lights. Same with the GreenHouse seeds grows of the super high THCv Congo strain.

Also to reply to another post, THCv is an appetite suppressant, and does not give the munchies. Its good for losing weight.

7 Likes

I have seen the opposite about UV and blue light stretch. The more blue and UV the less stretch. Detail explaination here

2 Likes

Interesting.
I’ve seen THCV being both a appetite suppressant as well as a appetite stimulant. It’s all about the entourage effect. It’s related to THC content, but I’ll have to dig up the article about it

1 Like

THC will give you the munchies. THCv will suppress your appetite. I have never seen any studies that show that THCv will give you the munchies. They all say the opposite. THCv is an antagonist of the CB1 and CB2 receptors, and so it blocks THC. Some say that in higher doses, THCv reverses to become a THC agonist of the CB1 and CB2 receptors. I have not seen any hard evidence of that giving anyone the munchies though. They say that in higher doses THCv contributes to the ‘euphoric effect’ of the high (like in Malawi and Congo strains). The THCv antagonist/agonist effect wears off after about 30 minutes in either case. Which is what causes the ‘sneaker effect’ in strains like Durban Poison. The appetite suppressant and stimulant effects of THCv last longer. For me from 4 to 6 hours. Sam the Skunkman posted on another site that he has smoked pure THCv. He said it did not have any high to it at all. So THCv seems to have THC enhancement or suppressant qualities to it, like CBD (the entourage effect). .

7 Likes

I’ll have to keep digging as this was over a year ago I had read it, but the only parts I can remember is that with certain cannabinoid ratios including THC, THCV, and CBD you end up with a surprising effect.

Not everything about this plant is cut and dry. If it were research even in secret would be easy.

Small changes in the ECS can change how certain molecules behave. For example capsaicin acts like CBD on cb2 receptors and can be used in a similar manner in high doses with a benefit of getting you high unlike CBD.

Molecules will displace others as needed and when they are in the right ratio you’ll end up with effects you didn’t expect. Plenty of strains do some amazing things and the boosted effects of THC on appetite from the entourage effect of THCV and CBD are just one aspect of why I fell in love with cannabis.

3 Likes

Yes. Different strains have lots of different highs due to variable combinations of cannabiniods and terpenes. I usually have about 30 different strains to smoke. They all have different highs. They can also interact with your own cannabinoids and other plant terpenes that you ingest. So they are not always the same even smoking the same stain. Supposedly eating mangoes and smoking will get you more stoned from the myrcene in the mangoes. I have not tried that myself. Sadly the US has marihuana still scheduled as a narcotic. As a result few scientific or medical studies have been done on the plant and its effects in the past 30 some odd years.

Meanwhile studies of the plant in places like Israel have found over 500 cannabinoids in Cannabis and over 200 terpenes. THCv is funny. Some say it is not psychotropic and others say that it is. So at the base level there is little consistent information about it. Similar contrasting statements are made about CBD, CBN, CBG, CBC, and other.

4 Likes

Won’t it be quite a revelation when we actually know what it is we have been smoking?

There is no telling what is going to be found.

2 Likes

I’m waiting on finding out what the polymers that form when we smoke and dab at high temps are. I know some friends who don’t feel high unless they smoke not dab or take an edible. That tells me there’s something in the complex chemistry that happens when we smoke that doesn’t happen when we vaporize or boil off the bud/oil. Something at 800f+ polymers start forming.

It’ll be interesting to see what we of them are and the effects they have medical or recreational

No no no no… all weed is evil, that is what both the government and church say. So inside weed is all bad stuff. All 700 compounds. Pure evil they tell me! The church says that taking weed is a sin! A sin! The government says that it is illegal! So it is both illegal and a sin! So I will burn in Hell after burning one.

5 Likes

You will be in good company :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Two years later, Doug’s Varin has not shown up on OG, Dutch Passion’s THCVictory strain is still at 50€ per seed. :nauseated_face:

Any new developments regarding THCV strains? New user experiences made? THCV test reagents developed? Interesting new studies on the effects of THCV? Anything else?

7 Likes

Just got word from a friend that red Congolese , probably the one carried by the landrace team, can have up to 12%. Thcv

5 Likes

Oh, nice. Durban is supposed to have some too, but since my Durban is probably Purple Malawi it seems I missed that for now. Had some Willie Nelson in the mail but they are on the way for a bit too long by now.

2 Likes

That’s just ignorance. The Bible said God produced all seed bearing plants for our use, and that they are good. It can’t get much more plain than that. People can abuse anything, that is the problem.

1 Like

Malawi is known to have thcv too.

3 Likes