Strains high in THCV

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with growing (or having tested) a strain that is particularly high in THCV, which has CB1 antagonist effects. Its my understanding that this particular cannabinoid and others like it may have beneficial implications for a range of disorders, specifically diabetes, insulin resistance, and metabolic issues.

A soy flavonoid made it in a journal article regarding cannabis recently, genistein’s CB1 antagonistic effect is supposed to reduce negative effects of THC on the heart. Thus, it made me wonder what other CB1 antagonists would also offer a protective effect.

I read Durban Poison was one strain that tended to have more THCV.

26 Likes

I think that Dutch Passion have on strain THC-Victory® but seeds are fucking expensive :upside_down_face:
I think that they have also other strains canabinoids like CBG.

5 Likes

I have a strain of Wild Thailand that I bred selectively. It’s LOADED with THCV. My breeding did not effect the THCV and even strains bred with this strain have a lot of THCV. The original strain was World of Seeds - Wild Thailand. I’ve been using this strain for 4 years. I cannot speak technically but only of my experience with the strain. First it’s an extreme Inflammation and Pain killer. I compared it in how many bong hits it took to get relief against the whole spectrum of THC meds from my medical supplier. And most weeds took 5-10 hits for relief from my condition with Indica’s usually being the worst and Skunk came in second with 2 hits. But 1 hit from my Thai and my relief was there. Jack Herer finished third with a reliable 3 hit relief. Others have called the strain “Work Out Weed” because it helps elevate you into “the zone” where the endorphins flow. My friend claims to get an extra 20% on his endurance bike rides and he smokes up every hour of the ride. I’m sure he at least enjoys his rides, myself have noticed help with my workouts. All subjective and “my opinion” but 4 years worth of my opinion. Plus I have no way of knowing the relation of CBG.

22 Likes

Checkout hoku seeds. They had mad villain which was victory crossed with something else. High in thc v and cbg I believe.

5 Likes

Look for cultivars that originate from regions near the equator. They will be rich in THCV.
Congo, Malawi, Panama, Colombia. ACE Seeds has these varieties. These have lab reports for almost all of the ones that they sell.

10 Likes

Also homegrown natural wonders “quantum kush” has a good amount of THCV in it as well. Or at least I’ve heard that from Odie.

HG

4 Likes

Fascinating writeup, thank you for sharing. Lots of good leads to follow up on here.

1 Like

Hoku has a ton of interesting stuff focusing on the lesser known cannabinoids, great company

7 Likes

In fact Hoku has a seed drop this Friday which includes the return of their Mad Villain series:

• Mad Villain is (1:1 THCv African Landrace x Maddog 2020 CBG)
  • Mad Villain F2’s - MV #2 (CBG rich) x MV #5 (THCv Rich)
  • Mad Villain S1’s - MV #5 (THCv Rich) x MV #5 (THCv Rich)
  • Varin BX - 1:1 THCv African Landrace x MV #5 (THCv Rich)

As well as a number of several strains crossed to this MV

Ace’s Ethiopian has been tested up to 2% THCV also.

13 Likes

Thanks for the heads up @deeez99 must have missed that email. I’ve been waiting for them to drop more of the THCV stuff

4 Likes

Have you had this strain tested in a lab or at home TLC? I don’t believe I’ve consumed anything with known THCV so no experience to go off on but how are you able to tell the difference between high THCV vs CBD? Any appetite suppression?

1 Like

Full appetite suppression with the THCV.

2 Likes

Balck Willie CBD - Oldschoolba
i think it is Vietblack crossed to something…
Dont know how strong it was selected for CBD, but if you cross it to Vietblack - Snowhigh you can get alot THCV back incase its strongly selected for CBD…

2 Likes

In general , its probably hard to find landrace with bouth compounds.

The best bet would be middle Eastern Landraces, i heard Lebanese from Realseedcompany showed some of the highest readings on all compounds together…so that means probably not ultra high readings on Thcv, but that all compounds are there. This would be a good starting point if you want pure landrace that keeps you going, and dont put you into this mystical CBD Mood-

probably ask @Trowertripper how it felt

Alternatively North Indian Landraces are aswell a bit like that. i think they also have Thcv plus CBD

I mean, i think you want a strain that keeps you going… then you need Landraces most definitly, but everyone has a different brainchemistry, and some like Hybrids totally… so then its easyer, just cross a high thcv with a cbd Strain and voila

4 Likes

Thc-v comes from propane produced by the plant. Hank Hill weed. Maybe you could just spray your plants with that sweet Strickland gas.

Sorry I can’t help. I only grow cyclopropene strains, I tell you hwhat. From back when removing seeds was a ritual, or you’d get a headache. Nowadays headaches are normal from weed, for different reasons. Mainly from dry humping their receptors without the glycerol esters of natural Cannabis.

2 Likes

Recently a local cannabis producer of tinctures called Jade Nectar has released a strain that is high in THCV. They have been giving away the seeds for free at dispensaries around the bay area in California. The strain is called Free the V and is said to have THCV levels of 6 to 10 percent.
I am trying to get Jade Nectar to join OG community and it may happen. If they have time. They are on Instagram under that name.
Here is the Free the V page: THCV - Cannabinoids Public Domain Project

13 Likes

Hey, this is really cool! I would love to see where that project goes. I’m a strong proponent of medical cannabis, and this is so refreshing to see. The benefit of THCV for insulin resistance is perhaps less well known or understood, but it’s just as important as the benefits for nausea, or cancer, etc.

I am sure your friend would love this place, that web page seems to glow with the kind of overgrown love that is common here. Perhaps direct them to this thread! I would be very interested in seeing more THCV plants grow. :smiley:

7 Likes

Oh yeah, a good Vietblack, feels so good, its like my body is nonexitant to some degree, However, i felt the slight Backpain totally vanishing with CBD…

But just from guessing, i can imagine THCV Strains (combianation with THC) could help for some things…

Cannabis is so well fitting sometimes, but i mean old Landraces. Theyre so slick . Hope it doesent become a Measurement contest. The complexity of Landraces and their compound of Substances can be used as medicine, hope farmacies concentrate on just that, Landraces, not just a single compound.
Cause it feels so fitting.

Hybrids Strains selected for one compound (CBD Strains) felt a bit boring, they often lack smells non the less… A bad sign, im no fan of extensive selection after this realisation. Landraces should be enough therapeutic in some Cases. (Master Kush per example, its afghani x afghani, and IS already a wellknown medicinal CBD-THC Strain)

3 Likes

TonyGreen’s PineTarGush has tested positive for THC-V.

6 Likes

I crossed a Thai high in THCV with a CBD and grew a tiny test plant. But I only tested it as a smoke once and got a little buzz. But I was unwilling to get off my meds for 10-15 days just to test a strain for Pain and Inflammation relief. I think I have 10-15 crumpled seeds for when I plan to test it properly. But actually I want to do it right by breeding the Thai to a better strain of CBD. I’m almost there on my breeding dream strains. I also want to adventure into trying to add some CBD back into some of the super strains of the day, I know other people that want to try this.

3 Likes