Promising strains for cold resistance?

Right now I’ve got the second generation of the same Malana Cream outside—planning to cull the males this time around and get more useable herb. I’m currently doing a seed run of the RSC Kumaoni, which I’ve heard is similarly bulletproof when it comes to the cool, humid conditions we experience in the fall. No pics yet (just supercropped them all this morning, so they look busted as hell, you wouldn’t want to look!)

I was also just looking at my jar full of seeds from my seed repro of RSC’s Highland Thai and thinking… what if I just tried them out and see how they do in the cold? I know it’s a little late, but they were enormous, so a little less height doesn’t seem so bad, and I’ve got a greenhouse this year. So… a few dozen seeds soaking in a paper towel right now. Note that I never claimed to made good decisions, or to know when enough is enough!

8 Likes

Right on, brother! Welcome to OG, also in the Northeast here, I’m an indoor grower so far but put out some Malana Village from Old World Organics via Colorado Sativas and a kind OG member. Both of mine are doing great, one’s in the ground one in a pot at different locations but neither one has batted an eye at our wet conditions.

3 Likes

No way I love seeing pictures at the time of training and after. I find it to be helpful at all times to see how plants react when I either stress them or severely stress them. Plus it’s always cool to see the recovery and how great they look aftward.

Hell ya. Who cares if it’s a bit late just got for it. I’ve even been thinking of a late start myself. But I think I’ll just spend my time on my indoor setup.

Seems like a solid decision to me!

4 Likes

I looked around and it seems like highland landraces do pretty good, I have some M33 Friesland to try, that has an extremely solid rep as the pure Freisland or as Freezeland, or all the crosses thereof. It seems like the key is a sativa-ish structure for sure, besides resistant genetics.

3 Likes

The Friesland is named after the cold wet northern Dutch province where it was bred from a landrace originating in Balochistan, two absolutely terrible climates not unlike our own is sometimes!

Lots of folks also seem to recommend Nepali strains in New England, which tracks. It’s funny, something about buds with pink pistils seems to signify cold and wet resistance, I think the Danish Thai has it too…

For a whole different world of genetics check out the Danish breeders like Hybrids from Hell (Esbe) and Bald Monkey Seeds (Bald Man Lala) and others. They have an extremely short season and lots of acclimatized genetics like Thai (Thai Passion or Thaiphoon), Moroccan, and of course Danish Gold or Viking. Nordic Genetics is the big seed bank for that but you can find them at other Euro banks too

5 Likes

Fellow 42ish North grower here :grin: I would say its worth it to plant out some of the Highland Thai, don’t know what males you’re planning on for your pollinations but it could be worth getting seed from a cross with the most cold tolerant female. If you do end up planting them out I’ll be happy to follow along.

I started 12 Filipino Kibungan seeds a week ago (10 up now) and those supposedly have some significant cold resistance for a tropical sativa since they’re a highland variety from a mountainous region of the Philippines. A last minute planned photoperiod seed reproduction run for the summer outdoors, not the best planning but I hope I can make it work.

Some other selections I’m growing reportedly have good frost resistance - Tosh Valley from ILE, Freaks of Dank from 7 East Genetics…going to test that out. I’m also hoping my MZPV F2s from last year which have RSC Parvati Valley lineage perform as well in the cold as the other previous ones in the line, all the other ones could handle light frosts/snow. Higher altitude / higher latitude landrace sativas are probably the best place to look for your purposes and it sounds like you’re already doing that.

4 Likes

This is a great thread to follow, @Radicle_Reefer is on your 42N and a talented outdoor grower hunting for the strains that work there best

5 Likes

I’ve got some Nepal Jams going and I haven’t cold tested them but the website says they are suitable.

They finish early which is good for us.

5 Likes

Serious 6 of Serious Seeds! Finish mid-end September and don’t mind a bit of snow.

4 Likes

I’m absolutely shocked. I can’t believe Balochistan genetics survived the wet North, as Balochistan is so hot, dry, and further South than the Netherlands. I had wondered about Balochistan genetics ability to be bred for wet conditions because originally these genetics came from the South Coast of the Caspian Sea, in Iran. Here it is very wet, even more so than the Northeast. Maybe not this year, lol. I would have guessed Friesland to have been from somewhere else, but I’m happy to hear my theory about pulling wet tolerance out of Balochi genes could be correct. Must have been a moldfest looking for a few keepers!
I’d look to find seeds at a harvest party. Something local to your area and/ or climate.
For landraces, kashmir is another region. Plants finish mid October for some, while others go too late. Tirah Valley and Chitral Pakistan also have resistance to wet conditions. Nuristan, Afghanistan does too. You’d have to pheno hunt for fast plants, or have a greenhouse to finish if you wanted to harvest everything.
Good tip here…for every degree latitude South of ( north of would be the opposite)your location that a landrace is from, it will harvest 2-3 days later for you. So a landrace strain from 32 North, like Malana, will finish 20-30 days later at 42 Norh. Malana harvest is October mainly, with a few earlier or later, so you’d be looking at a November harvest, with some early plants finished around Halloween, or if you are lucky, a bit earlier.
@Abukeif there is an old thread I made about tricks of outdoor growing in the Northeast. I don’t recall the exact thread name, but it’s worth looking up. Welcome to OG!

6 Likes

This strain has always done well for me here in zone 5.
Purple Maroc from Female Seeds I believe.

This pic was early September

10 Likes

I’ll vouch for the old quebec freezeland clone being an absolute tank. It’ll laugh at mother nature challenges.

Green gold from realgorillaseeds treated me well, so did DFG. Purple maroc is reliable.

Lately I’ve been playing with sour strawberry/lifesaver/orange gene pools. The ss isn’t reputed to be the most resistant to wet conditions but triggers early and finishes fast enough to beat a crappy autumn.

Most Lifesavers have good resistance but finish early-mid October. The lemon scented ones trigger earlier and don’t seem to be bothered by crap weather.

The orange I grow is an old outdoor line, quick finish and vigor for days. They’ll take cool wet temps like a champ.

:ok_hand:

6 Likes

Wow I never knew that. That’s good information to have!

3 Likes

Thanks for the mention @Dirt_Wizard ! Strains that i know have done well up here and are finished by late September/early Oct are durban, mandala#1, purple#1, friesland, and freezeland. Some other cold hardy varieties that finish in early/late october are nl1, nl5, alaskan thunderfuck, hawaiian cat piss, and black domina. This is been my experiences so far.

Testing a lot more strains out this year so hopefully more make it onto the list!

6 Likes

Blockquote No way I love seeing pictures at the time of training and after. I find it to be helpful at all times to see how plants react when I either stress them or severely stress them. Plus it’s always cool to see the recovery and how great they look aftward.

Heh, you asked for it! They were angled 140 degrees down yesterday AM, and are already making a swift tilt back skywards.

6 Likes

Look at these dead ringers:

1 Like

I hear the Kandahar Red survived a snow spell and a heat wave in the same grow cycle with no problems.

3 Likes

Look for strains that are grown in the Netherlands ( Holland.) - as they have a cold long summer like the Uk.

I think @GreenBhoy does some photos in the London area of the Uk, maybe he’s got some recommendations .?!

Good luck with finding some good/quick ones with mould/mildew resistance ,etc …

Happy hunting buddy.
:facepunch:

Gaz.
Ps.
( just adding … :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:.)

My latitude is nearly at 56 degrees north.
It’s equal to Alaska and Northern Canada etc.

Maybe the Alaskan Thunderfuck might be a good choice. ?! I’m sure there are other cultivars that will do well in your climate. :crossed_fingers:.

4 Likes

Just found your thread I’ll tag if you look up, seed Haven they have a group I belivecalled Viking genetics they have some come cold weather gear that you may like

Paps

3 Likes

So. I’d say the Nepal Jams are suitable for shitty climates. The buds aren’t super dense and they finish early. So maybe not so much cold resistant as finishes fast enough to not have to deal with the cold.

4 Likes