Propan-2-ol extract experiment-Breaking Bud episode 1

Another extract experiment thread…
I’ve got a freezer full of jezzaberry/cherry tart trim that needs something doing with it.

Been gathering supplies this week.

Grade 4 Edit
Grade 4 qualitative filter paper has the pore size of 20~25 µm. This grade of filter paper has the largest pore size among all standard qualitative filter papers. It is very useful as rapid filter for cleanup of geological fluids or organic extracts during experiment.[4]

Isopropyl alcohol (IUPAC name propan-2-ol; commonly called isopropanol) is a compound with the chemical formula C3H8O. It is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with a strong odor. As an isopropyl group linked to a hydroxyl group, it is the simplest example of a secondary alcohol, where the alcohol carbon atom is attached to two other carbon atoms. It is a structural isomer of 1-propanol and ethyl methyl ether.

99.9%ipa (purity) is as good as you can get.
A stainless steel champagne bucket. (To strip the trim)
The funnel should make the filtration a bit easier.

You also need a source of heat #WITHOUT A FLAME.
I personally use a slow cooker as a kind of double boiler. Water in the bottom. Glass bowl in the water. You don’t at any point want to get close to boiling this off. You use a solvent because they evaporate. Gentle warming is enough to speed this process up sufficiently. And a glass bowl with enough of a volume to take all of the “wash”

I’ll update with more photos and a walkthrough of the steps as I go today.

9 Likes

Took me way too long, to realise it’s just Isopropyl :smiley:

At what temperatures are you planing to do your extract, and how are your cooling it?
Are you doing Qwiso or deep spectrum?

Cheers

4 Likes

Haha it is just isopropyl :rofl:
My water temp usually sits around 215f but I imagine the solvent would be a little less (water bubbles a bit but not the solvent). And QWISO style for this run brother.

2 Likes

If you can cool it down, below -18C but preferbly colder (-32C) you will get a cleaner extraction.

A bit late if your extracting today, but for later use, then store the Iso in the freezer for 24 hours, along with the buds/trim and the steal bucket.
Maybe the bucket is less important, I use mason jars and the glass hold a lot more heat if not frozen.

4 Likes

The trim etc has been in the freezer. The bottle has been around 5c though but I’ll remember that for next time. I will be finishing in a glass bowl. But I’ll filter from the bucket into that. Before it goes in the slow cooker bowl. Hopefully that clarifies a few bits

4 Likes

You lost me at flammable liquid. lol #sissy

4 Likes

I bought a water still sterilizer conversion, off Amazon, with adjustable temperature, from 80C - 108C, for 170$C It collects the alcohol back, so I only lose what I can’t get back out of the weed. Which is about a quarter to half of a liter per run of a100 grams of weed.

I am now working on getting more out with a G clamp and a couple of pieces of wood strapping, to squeeze out as much as I can.

3 Likes