Proposal: OG Welcome Pack - Brainstorm with me

i don’t need it personally as I have a very small genetic stash of my own. Mostly I think it’s a good idea for two reasons:

because it would help noobs
Because it would make trading easier and less of having to filter through beg-athons

9 Likes

Bingo! Ding ding ding!

4 Likes

Ok I am new here but not new to growing ! And yes for a newbie autos and fems are the way to get them interested I believe that’s how most of us began . And a fee would weed out ( pun intended) the ones that are not willing to stick around
I would be willing to pay a membership fee if reasonable r( retired fixed income and all ) for the preservation projects

I do have a good deal of my own crosses and some f 2 s I would be willing to donate to either the group for distribution or anyone in need ( most likely can’t grow all these out in my life time )
So that’s it for me stoned ramblings lol😎

15 Likes

As far as the haze goes I would pick a shorter flower period version no more than 11 weeks as most won’t pop them otherwise

1 Like

Why all low thc? Am I the only one that likes getting annihilated

5 Likes

This might be too high of a bar for the breeders providing seeds in this category, too much of a gift even at cost, and downplays the possibility of using new members as kind of a testing/sounding board for pollen chucks.

I think all the seeds in this category, if it takes off, should be chucks ONLY. Minimal effort for the breeders, since they’re playing w/multi-poly hybrids and may not have time to look through all the seeds they produce, will encourage more broad gifting from our solid community members. This way, the most difficult part would be in the sorting and distribution but no more difficult than if they were from “solid, common lines”

8 Likes

Hmm. I don’t follow. Where is the high bar? Grow out five kush (let’s say). If you get a male, breed and send the seeds to the cache repo. If you get all females, enjoy and try again next round with the skunk. They are not required to do any task, but if they wish to do a preservation run later with high quality donated seeds this is how they show their stuff. They may prefer to simply trade the seeds. That is good too.

Do you have a favorite?

The low THC is only for the CBD run. I prefer a CBD to offer the option of a headless experience. It’s always possible to mix in a THC strain. Not possible to remove it. The other four categories should get you high, stoned, locked and loaded.

3 Likes

This might be an awesome addition! In addition to 5 known category strains we could maintain a chucks collection. Perhaps these could be sent to members who couldn’t pay more than postage. Or perhaps 100 random could be added to the welcome pack for an extra $5.

2 Likes

Seed runs take time, effort, and money. I also fully understand the desire to have seeds available for new members that want/need them, in an effort at welcoming from the community.

One problem, however, is if seed spammers repeatedly hit this offer up and bounce without going on to become community members. IDK how to resolve for that, or even if it would be a major issue. I can imagine breeders in seed runs being more open to breeding lines they already work with, since they may already be making seed for their own reasons and will feel like it’s less of a loss if a few packs disappear to members who join for a day with the express purpose of grabbing seeds.

4 Likes

I hope the $20 (or whatever) will protect against abuse and fund the server. The idea is to fund the site with member’s voluntary work, taking pressure off the more serious breeders. Perhaps if we simply promise the category without specifying the strain we will reduce the number of free seekers who would try to resell at a profit.

4 Likes

I think this is a good idea.

5 Likes

That’s just what I was talking to @AllOra about

2 Likes

Great minds and whatnot

1 Like

I just don’t see the need for special seeds or seed runs for newbs. I’m pretty sure there are a jillion seed chuckers on here that will donate their crosses. Let them try out whatever they get. With more user time… they’ll get better strains on preservations.

12 Likes

Re not seeing “need”:

I/We are still brainstorming The main objectives so far are

1. to make money for the server fund
  2. to engage newbs in a way that converts their gimme gimme energy into participation.
  3. to take pressure off Preservation runs which are currently called upon to feed insatiable newb desire for any and every seed.
  4. give newbs some seed in hand if they want to trade.
  5. to provide an answer to the constant "how does this work? How many pips do I need to get the free seeds I read about?

Brainstorming is an invitation to say “yes and…”

4 Likes

How about keep it super simple. 10$ donation gets 10 mystery seeds. Only choice is CBD or thc. Then whoever’s decided to deal with all of this sits on a mystery bucket of seeds. No need to send em a million strains for 20 bucks. Simply a buck a seed to the server. If stock runs out it runs out until donations out of good faith come in

3 Likes

Minimum 20 seeds? This is for the server fund, after all.

4 Likes

Whatever the number is is up to the ones in charge, but I’d literally just have a bucket of mystery seeds. Mix em all together except CBD vs thc. That way the ones in need will still be down regardless of strain. The ones joining just to take advantage will be less inclined because they arnt neccesarily getting “that magic strain”

4 Likes

Even regular users may buy into a 20$ mystery pack lol everyone likes surprises

7 Likes

This idea has merit. Shipping would require a higher price. And I wouldn’t want the mystery but some surely would. Beggers can’t be choosers.

We could offer a number of options. I am thinking both and more.

1 Like