PROTOCOL 0 "clean your plants"

I was reading that plants with sufficient Cu are essentially immune to bud rot…

Was your buddy running the same nutrients as you?

3 Likes

yah everything was the same, he was growing in hydro, same nutrients, and a clone right from my grow.
Edit: he uses the expanded clay pellets in the DWC, though. That’s a slight difference.

1 Like

wow! Ever record sulfur making contact with a mildew colony? It’s like you just dropped a hydrogen bomb. Amazing, you can’t even see anything left afterwards, like the mildew just pops like a bubble and disintegrates.

I’ll do the gootube thing in a bit, gotta process the images into a decent video.
Also, I determined something about the garbage meat breath grower, he just changes to “blue shit” fertilizer halfway through the run. Puts that in hydro whatever the fuck it is.

1 Like

Here we go. Now I know why there’s no definitive answer on how sulfur kills the mildew. It just seems to eat it alive. Quite amazing!

7 Likes

Looks like its dissolving like the wicked witch…
Could mildew be really susceptible to weak sulphuric acid? :thinking:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I’ll try that later when I get the chance. My bet is sulfuric acid will definitely kill it. They say the sulfur crystals are hydrophobic because of their shape, but h2so4 ain’t like that.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading carl sagan’s The demon-haunted world, science as a candle in the dark. I love that book, I don’t even know how many times I read it already.

3 Likes

I loved that book…

I too have an invisible dragon in my garage… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
That would be a great book to have as required reading, critical thinking is becoming rare nowadays.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I like the way it was written in the 90s it’s like old timey now about some things. Like the gravitational waves prediction(detected recently) and the whole thing where people used hypnosis as “therapy” woah.
ok! I definitely killed off the mildew infesting plants in the greenhouse. And by “plants” I mean the pumpkins cucmbers squash etc. I can see mildew growing on the clover outside, but there are no plants in the green house it can infest. Host specific and all. I listened to that podcast about mildew, and it was pretty good. He said it takes about 40 days for an infestation to reach a point where you can see it with human eyes. That guy kevin mckernan definitely knows his PCR tests and it was fascinating to hear he had swabbed many different plants and none of them have the same mildew strain on it as cannabis. You can easily verify that in the field, no fancy pcr test required, but that’s really high tech evidence supporting host specific. Also, the fact it won’t grow anywhere but on the host-specific plant cells. He said at minimum to get it to grow, you have to mulch up plant leaves from the host and put that in the petri dish. Fascinating details… needed more info though. Like, for all the dna shit he knew about mildew, he still couldn’t tell you how to completely eradicate it.

2 Likes

If you are looking for a powdery mildew infestation in the greenhouse… I got bad news. It’s dead. I systematically eradicated it! I think most people would have given up once it got infested, and it had been infested for so many years. Nobody thought it could be eradicated once and for all except… moi.
I identified the plants that got mildew. I started out the season spraying them all except one. I sprayed the infested plants from the farmers market. Each vector had to be decontaminated with the sulfur water. Total cost for eradication? 3 tablespoons of sulfur dust. Musta been worth 50 cents. or less. I still have the sulfur water, and I definitely would just spray that one genus of plant. Some on different occasions if I thought I saw a rabbit. The one plant I never sprayed, just everything around it. Powdery mildew isn’t a magical creature. You can kill that shit so easy it’s a joke.

3 Likes

Oh I forgot this part. I didn’t spray it on the vegetables! I sprayed no sulfur water on the pumpkins, cucumbers etc etc. Instead, I ate them. It’s easy to go overboard if you think that shit is all over the place. It’s not.

1 Like

Yah I did a victory dance on the corpse of the powdery mildew. A hard frost moved in and killed off all the plants that could get mildew, and I never saw a colony get established. That proves a good eradication scheme early in the year results in no mildew later in the year. That dude with the mildew PCR tests was right about the infestation window. Once you see the mildew, it’s already been growing there for over 40 days. Next year? I’m gonna take that year off from mildew eradication and every year after that. As long as nobody violates bio security, I’m golden.

1 Like

hey so I got this method I’ve been kicking around in my head for a while. I’ll tell everyone here because it’s a monumental task and someone else with connections could probably pull it off easier. So here’s the theory:
The virus that attacks cannabis could also respond to anti viral compounds used in the industry on other plants.
Definitely not a radical thought eh? Not much imagination there hah hah! Alright. To perform the task we need to find a positively identified infected plant. So positive from the lab who tests for “the virus” and when I say “the virus” I really mean whatever virus you want to kill. Take a cutting from the plant and put it in anti viral solution. A classic example is the treatment for tobacco mosaic, using zerotol or protectol or whatever the hell they’re calling it. Soak that baby good. Grow it up but make sure there is no re-infestation right. Take a sample and send it to the lab. Comes back positive, then you know it failed the test.

1 Like

I have come up with a falsification method for the treatment of hplvd. Got to try and gather the missing pieces.

1 Like

As far as I know, the only solution is meristem tissue culture. If you can find a treatment for it, you will be a millionaire.

3 Likes

lol, no my plan excludes the possibility of becoming a millionaire.

1 Like

I moved the conversation here to avoid cluttering up Yeti’s thread.

With all due respect, how exactly will your protocol 0 rid the plant of the viroid?

First you need a plant with the viriod, a positive test would be required. Run your protocol 0 on the plant and retest. They recommend three consecutive negative results before declaring the plant as viroid free.

I suggest you keep the infected plant segregated. Do not share tools with your healthy plants. Sterilize equipment with 10% bleach solution for a minimum of 30 seconds contact time.

This viroid is no joke. Took out over a dozen plants (I was sharing tools between plants). And ruined two of my grows, two of my brother’s grows, and two of my father’s grows (I unknowingly provided them with HpLVd clones).

7 Likes

It doesn’t seem like there’s any effective treatment for HpLVd in hops except meristem culture. Heat treatment has been attempted, since it’s been successful in eliminating other hops viroids, but with HpLVd it’s apparently made things worse, unless I’m reading this wrong:

https://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/pdf/10.1094/PDIS-92-3-0324
"Cold treatment conditions found to be optimal for producing plants free of HpLVd were storage at 2 to 4°C in the dark for periods ranging from 8 to 21 months, and subsequent meristem culture of tips less than 0.5 mm in size (111). Optimal thermotherapy conditions were exposure to 36°C for 14 days; however, original titers were restored after 6 months in field conditions (100). The rapid decrease in
HpLVd levels following heat treatment was correlated with the induction of a nucleolytic complex which resulted in cleaving of the viroid (100). Heat treatment also led to the accumulation of sequence variants in the HpLVd population. Despite prediction of destabilizing the secondary structure of HpLVd from these mutations, all mutated cDNAs were found to be infectious to hop and evolved into complex progeny populations containing molecular variants maintained at low levels (99).

The management of viroids requires quick identification and removal of infected plants to prevent further spread."

There’s been some research into the mechanism by which HpLVd is eliminated from pollen, which came up with some results that read like they might have some potential… PubMed mostly uses peer-reviewed studies, so that’s something. Of course, one or two of the citations for this article involve other studies noting degenerative effects to pollen during viroid elimination, so it might be thoroughly ineffective as a treatment if the cure is worse than the disease.

(using a tinyurl to link to .gov site, hopefully this is ok)

2 Likes

hehheh good idea moving it, I need some input. I was thinking since there is a treatment for tobacco mosaic virus then it could potentially work for a virus infesting cannabis. It’s based on anecdotal evidence, which isn’t strong, so I decided someone could determine if it was real. The basic idea is you mix up one of those oxidation treatments like zerotol 2 and soak the plant in there every day when it’s cloning.

I’m a reading machine! I will extract as much info as I can. Getting hungry to feast on ideas!