Purpl Pro - Turn your phone into a lab-accurate tester for potency?

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this product? I’m highly skeptical …

3 Likes

Looks like the price is 1.5K$.

Santa will not be giving that to me… :roll_eyes:

Cheers
G

8 Likes

Would be very cool if it works well, and for the price it better! I’ve never dealt with a lab so I have no idea what they charge but they’re able to test for a ton of shit other than potency. For $1500 I want to be able to test dispensary bud too at least for some basic heavy metals.

There was another “home tester” product that could only get to within 10 percent or so that was basically useless. It says I got 15% THC! So I’ve narrowed it down to anywhere between 5% and 25%! Yay!

5 Likes

I was looking at this one (pre Covid)

edit {150$} :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Yeah unfortunately these things are ridiculous expensive. All of them. Ive had ppl say there was cheaper ways n never produced that way. Sad thing is gere in my state there was a lab would do basic potency and mold test for $50 a test. The government and legal marijuana dustributors stopped it. A dx is same price 1500+ to start plus youve got to have the computer and all that can take the program software and updates. I think every state that wants to monopolize with legal crap weed should provide a way to prove or disprove the labels as well as for basic consumers to be able to know what theyre getting is safe. Its the big money legal end that makes this not possible here in this state anyways. Ive been trying to test my weed since my second grow where it has consistantly embarrassed the pros and their dispo crap.

1 Like

You know I was going to give it a chance but I can’t tell from their website HOW they test. Like… what mechanism/chemistry do they use?

Also, an app? That is government approved? Obviously they are tracking our weed with this. Just saying.

1 Like

It usually cost about 25 bucks to get it your Flower tested for each strain. Personally I can get pretty close to what the potency is on an Indicas! Sativa‘s on the other hand can I have a lower potency and get me higher than Indica‘s in the 30s so in my Opinion testing only matters for indicas or sativa hybrid’s. I had a roommate that only smoked stuff testing in the 30s and up and when I gave him a Guatemalan strain of mine which is only supposed to have 12% he got high as hell and he admitted it

2 Likes

I saw a reddit post with the results, that’s what made me look into it. Apparently it only goes up to 30% THC … I wish it did other cannabinoids too. 1.5K is steep, but if it works … I guess it’s worth it?

1 Like

Most of these tests are all just a light based test.

4 Likes

Im pretty sure theres other components and all need that arent in that 1500 price. Ive searched for couple years now then just stopped caring about proving mine was better. But id like to as said above be able to pull full profiles and test for mold,pesticides and metals. But in maryland they monopolize that ability. Labs here test but you have to be govt or have a dispensary or cultivation license to submit a sample

1 Like

To be honest I looked at some labs but I will just stick to my good old smoke test. Since I don’t sell it really makes no difference what the actual numbers are and no report will tell me how the smoke will work for me.

9 Likes

On another note of just how monopolized it is they give out magazines at dispensary. They have seed bank ads. 2 companies. Rocket seeds and homegrown cannabis co. Both are trash and thats why they let them advertise cause they know youll get hemp or worse from them

2 Likes

Thats about where im at too. I know its better. But it would be nice to know what levels our strains are producing and what negative levels our choice of nutrients leave.

3 Likes

THC content is not always the best guideline. I’ve had an indica leaning hybrid that tested at 16% blow my hair back. If I didn’t know the percentage I would have guessed 24% easily all day long. Terpene profiles and the way people react to different strains makes THC content more of a loose guideline.

I’ve also had some bud that was supposed to be well into the 20s where the advertised content didn’t match the high.

6 Likes

Totally agree. Too many are caught up in THC numbers. So much so that many labs have been caught fudging the numbers which is disgusting. The Terpene combination along with the THC/CBD makes the strain. The fact is that I turn 50 this year and spent most of my life without that information available so it really doesn’t bother me not to know. The only good the report would really do for me is if I ran out of papers.

10 Likes

I suppose more data can be good but for your average person like me it’s just not important. If I were selling I would be much more interested in those numbers but not as a personal grower.

2 Likes

This part really worries me, haha

DOES PURPL PRO REQUIRE AN INTERNET CONNECTION?

Yes, either a WiFi or cell network connection is required for the Purpl PRO to communicate with the cloud servers that compute and store the results. Errors will be shown in the Purpl PRO app if this connection isn’t present.

2 Likes

I mean don’t get me wrong I would be interested to know but not for $1500 I wouldn’t :laughing:

2 Likes

Nice. Buy a $1500 device that shuts down once the company loses interest.

2 Likes

The numbers do not reflect the entourage effect of which there has been minimal research which isn’t surprising when you think of the number of cannibanoids and terpenes; the combinations would be astronomical.

6 Likes