Random newbie grow and experiments

7/3/2018

Flipped to flower a few days ago (sunday), but aside from that no news. You might notice one of the skunks missing. A buddy who grows for his old lady lost one of his plants so I hooked him up with one of the skunks because they were going off!

Also trying cloning for the first time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

7/14/2018

Turns out i suck at sexing plants. I now have two males out of the three. Not the end of the world though because i’ll be able to try and get some pollen from them.

I built an isolation chamber for the males based on a thread i saw over on icmag. I think it should do its job.

Also trying my hand at taking clones. It’s been up and down but they are still alive at least haha.

We’re at about three weeks of flower.

3 Likes

7/22/2018

Pollen day! The two males, one mega jackpot and the other is skunk X deadhead og, were dropping pollen in the iso chamber so i pulled them out tonight to grab some. Was able to get an ok amount from each plant so I’m happy. I put them back in the iso chamber, sprayed the entire exterior down with water and then tossed them back in the tent for a few more days. I want to grab a bit more pollen for a friend and then I will chop them down and stop testing my luck with the iso chamber.

I put a bag over each stem which had the sites I wanted to “paint” with pollen and then misted the open areas of the plant to try and help with avoiding getting pollen all over. Then I removed the small bags and put a bigger trash bag over the entire plant EXCEPT the areas I was going to put pollen on (basically just reversed step #1). From there I hit a few small sites on the female mega jackpot with each kind of pollen and let everything sit for an hour or two. Pulled the trash bag off, again covered the now pollinated sites with a bag and gave the rest of the plant (and cover crop) one more good misting before putting it back in the tent. Hopefully the pollen stays put and I start seeing sides of seed creation in the next couple of days…

Looking at my physical log (notebook) I am at 21 days of flowering it would appear.

2 Likes

7/26/2018

Checked the mom today and it looks like the pollen took so I’m happy about that. Otherwise we’re on cruise control.

3 Likes

8/23/2018

Holy shit it has been awhile! Nothing really exciting was happening so I didn’t post much. I think the only female might be coming down this weekend. The trichomes are starting to cloud up and I’m seeing a bit of amber in there. I typically take mine a bit early because I’m a sativa person and like the head high :).

I will note that the isolation chamber test didn’t work out so well. I can’t pin down what the issue was, but it would appear some pollen got out so the whole plant was seeded. To me it isn’t a big deal because I’m not a high volume smoker and I just grow for myself. The lame part is outside of the two branches I manually pollinated and tagged, I have no idea what mix the other seeds are haha. Guess I’ll just end up with a “mystery plant”.

Here are some pics from the other day.

4 Likes

8/28/2018

Aaaannnnd we’re done!

I cut down the lone mega jackpot today to start the drying process. Will trim here in a few days and then let the curing start. After that it’ll be seed shucking time!

I’ll be doing a deep clean on the tent and tweaking things a bit before the next grow. I plan on doing a pheno/testing run next so I won’t be using the no-till pots. I’ll put something dumb in them (carrots?) To keep things going though.

The haul isn’t much compared to what most of you do, but for me it’ll be plenty. More importantly, I learned a metric asston this grow that I’ll be able to use later.

2 Likes

All done! Ended up with about an ounce and a half, but more importantly, a ton of seeds :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Wow! Looks amazing… makes me want to go smoke.