Random newbie grow and experiments

This grow has been going for a bit but since I’m new here I thought I’d post it up. This is what I’d call my 2nd “real” grow. My 1st grow was done in spacebuckets, my actual 2nd grow was done in my 4x4 tent but I had to chop it down way early which is why I’m calling this latest grow my 2nd :slight_smile:.

I do most of my growing in no-till pots with cover crops and all that jazz. I am also playing around with KNF inputs.

I am not what I’d consider a hardcore smoker so I tend to do smaller grows. I am also starting to play around with breeding so male plants are not always bad for me and give me the chance to try collecting some pollen. Even though this grow has been going for a bit I’m going to try and add some posts to re-create the timeline.

10 Likes

5/23/2018

First day worth showing. I soaked 3 mega jackpot regular seeds, 2 popped so into solo cups with a mix of coco and potting soil they went. This day was the first day I saw some real leaves popping out.

5 Likes

5/29/2018

At this point I’ve moved the two plants into my 10 gallon no-till pots. You can see that there is already some trouble brewing, more on that later…

7 Likes

6/3/2018

Not much going on here but you can see the plants are starting to get worse. At this point I’ve just been giving water with some KNF inputs once our twice a week.

6 Likes

6/8/2018

So around this day the plants kind of hit rock bottom but don’t worry, they come back (more info in the next post)!

6 Likes

Favorite kind of grower, welcome aboard.
I can only suppose that the straw/cellulose breaking down is robbing nitrogen from the upper layers?
She may green up when the roots go deep.
Also looks a bit damp.

3 Likes

6/12/2018

Wait?!?! Could it be? Is that new green growth? Yes!

After talking with THE man over at https://mountainorganics.net/, it was decided to stop ALL KNF inputs, feed just a bit of fulvic acid and go straight water for awhile. What you are seeing is the result of that. The better of the two plants was really greening up and starting to actually grow. The worst plant was still in bad shape but at least the new growth wasn’t yellow.

10 Likes

I’m a sucker for happy endings. Glad things are looking up!

1 Like

6/16/2018

All caught up!

Look at this plants compared to a few weeks ago. I’ve gone to just straight water about every three days or so. Previously I had been watering every other day and doing KNF inputs once or twice a week. I’m not sure if it was the age of the plants (to small for inputs) or over watering, but they are on track now!

5 Likes

Nothing major, just loving how the tent is coming back. You’ll notice two other plants as well, more on those later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad you got that straightened out. KNF inputs are easy to go overboard with. I tried “hydro” with KNF once with horrible results.

2 Likes

Are those nettles in your pots as well

1 Like

They are! I just recently had to trim it all back because it was getting crazy.

Wish I new a little more about nettles but I believe they are biodynamic accumulators, very good plants to compost with , plants that bring up nutrients and minerals from the soil and hold them in their tissues. There might of been a little macro/micro nutrient robbing going on the initially but glad to see your plants are looking good now. Do you cut them back and leave the mulch on top then ?

2 Likes

I do. I have a few other cover crops in there, mainly clover and fenugreek that I typically will chop down once they get unruly and just leave it all as mulch.

2 Likes

All I know is I hate them. They get in my flowers and I forget to get gloves and than am miserable for hours.

3 Likes

No doubt! That’s another reason I keep them trimmed back haha, those fuckers sting for sure.

Not going to date this one as it isn’t much of an update, just more of an explanation :slight_smile:

In the previous shots you might have noticed a couple plants in small pots. Since I was having some issues with the mega jackpots in their no-till beds I went ahead and popped two more seeds as backups. These are a skunk X deadhead OG cross that picked up via trade from an awesome dude. They were started almost two weeks after the mega jackpots and are just straight killing it. I’m just going to grow these out in their small pots with little to no training but will likely be taking clones if they are female. As I start to play around with breeding I am trying to collect as many “nice” cuts as I can and so far these things look like beasts.

Anyways, now for the good stuff, pictures! Below is a picture of the stronger skunk X deadhead OG plant compared to the weaker mega jackpot. Keep in mind that the mega jackpot has been going for about a month (although it had some hard times as noted previously) while the skunk has been going for ~10 days. I think that the skunk might actually pass the mega jackpot and end up outgrowing it :joy:. I tried to get the plants as close to level as possible in order to not distort the size but forgot to take into account distance so even though the skunk is pretty hefty so far, it’s not quite as hefty as it looks…

2 Likes

6/26/2018

No major updates. Topped the “large” plant and did a FIM on the smaller plant. The two skunks in the middle haven’t had anything done to them and I likely won’t, they will be just straight growth.

Working back in some IPM (neem + agsil) now that things have recovered. The fungus gnats were starting to grow which is why you see the sticky traps by the pots.

Since I don’t grow for pure volume I am thinking about flipping these over to flower this weekend. I’m going to let them go this week and evaluate Friday though. The large plant is so bushy I can’t really do any low stress training on it. I might defoliate just a TINY amount and see if that opens up some space to tie things down.

I also believe that the mega jackpots (in the no-till pots) are both females so that’s good. I’m a n00b at sexing plants in veg but i don’t see any signs of umm, pre-balls yet.

Outside of the IPM foliar spray, nothing has touched these plants aside from water since i did my little reset a few weeks back. I’m on the fence about introducing KNF inputs back in (OHN, FPJ, FFJ and LAB). I might try a weekly treatment and see if the plants start reacting negatively…

4 Likes

good start man keep updating

1 Like