Randomly Chucking Fems in fields

Thanks for the links…never enough to read.

2 Likes

The One Straw Revolution is an amazing book. I never even considered it as it might apply to weed! WOW! Thank you so much for posting that link!! d8JBdDJ

6 Likes

You’re very welcome @mota! It’s such a great book. I read it two years ago and ever since then I am constantly thinking about seed bombing my local neighborhoods :rofl: :bomb: :seedling:

4 Likes

The book also gave me my first primer on organic & no-till practices. It’s something that I want to learn to incorporate more into what I do, even if I can’t do it perfectly all the time.

3 Likes

For me, it’s about letting nature take the reins in your particular microarea aspect. Of course, being able to actually apply natural farming techniques requires years, perhaps decades, of careful observation and experimentation. What a way to spend a life!

4 Likes

Fantastic. I downloaded the PDF, started reading it, and next thing you know it’s 45 minutes later. Fascinating read. Only thing about PDFs is I have to do this on my phone to remember where I was.
Screenshot_20240411_183032_Drive

3 Likes

Tempting location near me but would hate to add to the grounds maintenance guys workload.
SFG

1 Like

Finally! After preaching about seed bombs for an eternity, it is starting to take hold. You guys are the first wave of the “Seed bomb revolution”. Overgrow the World ! :rainbow:

8 Likes

Random hand tossing did not work for me as ants break the seeds and eat the kernel…what worked was loading 20 - 25 seeds in a catapult and shooting it in to the ground aiming not more than 10 - 12 feet away from you. I took a bunch of Mexican beans and did this and lo behold come season time brought huge Mexican plants :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They pop up everywhere when I throw the wash out from making extracts. Wherever I leave the soaked material and I live in the desert.

10 Likes

Well, it may be your lucky day. I have a bag of random bag seed beans that i have been saving to throw around, i have zero clue what they are, have been accumulating over last few years, i have a few hundred and i will be tossing them all along forest edges of the local provincial park that connects to the back of my property. If you take some pics along the way and keep us posted I will gladly send you 50-100 beans to throw in some fields when i send you that original haze on Monday.

8 Likes

I’d love that. I’d plant them everywhere.

3 Likes

Done, ill send em out monday.

3 Likes

This summers gonna be so much fun lol.

2 Likes

I’ve had an accidental plant from the Mexican brick days. It was growing in a patch of weeds, didn’t even find it until the fall already flowered only had about an eighth of weed on it. The weed was actually pretty good, tasty and all.

But it’s not going to yield a decent amount of weed unless you at least give it a good headstart and then if it doesn’t rain enough it’s going to have trouble. One time I brought about 30 plants up on a clearing on a mountain planted them thought I could get water by this little brook, but it dried up, they still flowered but only about a half ounce each full of seeds cause I was trying to open pollinate. I pulled out a bunch of seeds broken up over a screen, got plenty of seeds and dry sieve hash. Then made bubble hash with the rest of it. Not all bad, but you’re better off with a few well cared for plants you’ll get more from 5 well cared for plants than 30 neglected plants. Not to mention randomly chucking the seeds most won’t grow, be lucky if you get 20 out of 100.

5 Likes

I walk my dog to the park weekly so its perfect, they also have a spot that’s all tall grass, one year I cut a circle and grew a monster back in highschool. Ended up in the hospital so I never got to check it during harvest.

3 Likes

I had a big bag of fems that I tried a few years with. I won’t say wasteful, but it’s a roll of the dice letting the seedlings fend for themselves. Eventually settled on getting them up to 3 nodes or so and transplanting.

Seedlings are tasty supple little treats for all kinds of little prick pests. I do love the idea of having a big ol bag of auto fems and dropping a few all over the place. Do a slick j-turn while I’m riding my bicycle, drop a few seeds, and run over them on my way back to pack em in. Incognito style, with no intention of ever going back to them.

Nowadays, I may be able to get away with calling this a handlebarless bike with a sick sissybar. I steer it via blu-tooth and my mind. Tryin to do a tiktok of me hittin a sick grind down the wouter feature at the McD’s split lane drive-thru. I just can’t get the darn brake unstuck.

2 Likes

I plant clones with a little shot of dr earth along the trails in upstate ny. I know the deer get them, but a few hikers have to notice before that. That’s what I tell myself anyways.

Planted 2 here. I think it was in Mass, or Connecticut

2 Likes

I had a bunch of seeds from an unintentional male in the room. I poured them into a bird feeder. Several weeks later there were about a dozen seedlings popping up underneath the feeder.

They did not survive the lawn mower.
:tractor:

3 Likes

I was talking to a Nepali a few years back. He told me they have two harvest seasons of feral wild types. Small flowering plants all over the place during the damp parts of spring which die out during summer. Then large plants close to water sources such as streams, rivers and ditches harvested in the fall.

Taking that into account, autos might be a good choice for early spring chucking. While photos might be best close to a water source.

I would believe lines acclimated to poor nutrient soils would be the best bet for chucking in hopes of getting plants to full term.

For our hungry lines, I would consider looking into local flora. If you could identify local plants that require nutrient rich soils, the seeds might do well there.

3 Likes