ReikoX's Workshop Rebuild 2020

never really considered tomatoes heat tolerant…but if you live in Florida all your life …seen lot a that shit wilt.

4 Likes

Bwahahahahaha! I choked on my beverage!

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Yeah not much likes this Florida heat.

2 Likes

For growing in desert look into Solar pump outdoor hydro

Hotter it is the more water it gets

Works

Done it

4 Likes

Been awhile since I checked in @ReikoX, but looking impressive! I’m excited for you to get it up & running!

1 Like

@Shadey & @ReikoX

School me on the use of sprayers for watering in no-till. Ive seen y’all post about it before, I assume its to keep consistent soil moisture and prevent the water from running out, but I’d imagine it takes a bit of time if you’re spraying out 1/2 gal or gal into each bed. Just looking for some insight into why and how you do it. Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s mainly for convenience, the sprayer wand let’s me get up under the canopy and keep the top soil evenly moist. In no-till, the first couple of inches are “cold composting” so keeping it evenly moist keeps the micro biology active.

The tip I use does 1/2 gallon per minute, the sprayer holds 3.5 gallons, so max, this will takes about 10 minutes to spray.

I also have a fine mist tip that I use for foliar spraying. Again the wand makes getting the underside of the leaves a breeze. This particular model is actually a concrete sprayer with Vitcon seals. It is chemical resistant and designed to last a lifetime.

13 Likes

Spent most of Sunday painting in the workshop. I should have finished cleaning my house, doing groceries, etc., but I can clean in the evenings this week. I got the walls painted and pulled all the tape and plastic. Then I moved the workbench cabinets around [insert Tetris theme here] then taped off and painted the concrete.

I also got a couple of doors and some trim. I went with some hollow core doors, but I’m a little nervous about cutting a hole for the darkroom louvers. The solid core doors were all six panel and I couldn’t see that working. The other solid core door was well over $200 so I decided to try these first.

My digikey order shipped, so I should be getting the stuff for my lights by Wednesday. I took off this Thursday and Friday from work to celebrate my 44th trip around the sun.

30 Likes

Looks fantastic. Early happy birthday.

6 Likes

You have been busy, whats next? I am waiting to see the door frames and trim going on, then it will look finished for the decorating.

If you have to screw those louvres on the hollow core doors will probably not have enough there to get a decent fix. You could make a small frame to go inside the door once the hole is cut to screw into. They tend to flex a bit around the hole otherwise.

6 Likes

Looks good so far. :+1: I think that’s a pretty wise use of the space, but I’m confused about two things.

Why separate exhaust for flower and veg? In such small spaces it seems unnecessary and makes the build a lot more complex. And such oversized fans in each space, too?

Why did you decide to put texture on the walls? Doesn’t it just make them harder to clean and less reflective? Personally, I found this to be a really frustrating thing when I lived in Albuquerque. Texture on all the walls and ceilings of every house everywhere. It seemed like people just used it to avoid sanding drywall mud. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Makes it easier to control different temperature and humidity zones. Living in a hot place requires good air exchange I would say.

5 Likes

Happy birthday bro :+1:

4 Likes

Of course it does make it easier in some cases, Shadey, as any grower such as yourself knows. :slight_smile: However, that’s not really such a big concern in his case.

As Reiko said earlier in this thread, there are significant benefits to drawing through veg into flower. One, it’s better for VPD when living in the desert. Albuquerque is dry but not that hot, and he’s partially underground in a basement with an air conditioner, so heat isn’t as much of a concern as humidity. And, in the winter, you have nighttime heating concerns that are alleviated by using a pull-through system.

Plus, the space and time and money required to do the ductwork for two oversized fans is quite a bit more challenging than a single pull through intake & exhaust system. And there was quite a bit of discussion about how to design the air intakes and all that when a single exhaust solution makes that all easier.

Those tangible benefits from a single fan system seem to far outweigh the unsubstantiated fear of potential issues in a desert grow. I was hoping ReikoX would provide his cost/benefit calculus, since I didn’t see it other than mention of possible fears, so I asked. :slight_smile:

:peace_symbol:

P.S. Happy birthday ReikoX!

7 Likes

I should have said first, my guess would be, as I was speculating lol. That is what came to my mind when I read your questions.

Thinking more about his situation, pollenating plants may be safer with seperate air systems, but I will stop guessing :wink:.

Happy Bday ReikoX I hope you are having an amazing day.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m guessing too. He previously mentioned doing pollinations in a separate space in an upstairs part of the house, so I’m guessing that’s also not a concern? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You have either just read the whole thread or your memory is very good, I can’t remember anything after a week, I find old posts I made and think, has some one hacked my account, when in the hell did I write that :thinking: :rofl:

7 Likes

@Shadey
Yeah the whole hollow core door thing was keeping me up last night. The louvers are quite heavy, so I’m going to have to have some form of support. The thin veneer will not support them. The two ideas I came up with were a frame like you mentioned. And low expansion foam was my other idea. I saw quite a few repair videos that used it. :bulb:

@Nube
The decision for seperate exhausts was a tough one, as you read. I finally went with the seperate exhausts for flexibility if I decide to change my setup in the future. Nothing about this build has been simple or cheap, why start now. :grin:

I admit I over sized the fans for the space, the idea was to run them slower to keep noise down at the time. Now that I have already run the exhaust through the wall and purchased the fans/filters, there is no going back now. :joy:

The 4x6 main room is completely smooth. It was a PITA and took a whole lot of time and effort to get it that way. I textured the 4x4 room and the lung room because I’m not concerned with reflectitivity in those rooms.

9 Likes

The expansion foam is a good idea, less time consuming, and will probably be just as strong. Have you cut open the door yet, some are actually hollow and some have a honey combe paper insert, but it’s easy to remove.

5 Likes

@ReikoX Happy Birthday. The stress of getting my room going has given me A case of some serious thought loops. :joy:

3 Likes