ReikoX's Workshop Rebuild 2020

I paid $0.49 for each :avocado: probably one of the cheaper inputs I’ve added to the beds.

12 Likes

not if you were using it food wise, then its just part of the grocery bill and you get bonus out of it

10 Likes

The cost of a new generation of wrigglers: priceless

8 Likes

@Gpaw You can try with other fruits like watermelon, papaya and jackfruit. These were the ones I already tested, and the worms loved it. I think that any fruit with a good pulp should attract them. :rofl: :pray:

10 Likes

If it wasn’t for my daughter working at a farm shop in the summer, when she was back from university, bringing the mushy ones home that they chuck out. They would not be so readily used.

You can get a good deal at Costco on a pack of 6.

5 Likes

I am sure if you spoke with your local produce manager about why you need avocados, sans the cannabis bit, they could probably hook you up instead of throwing them out. It is ridiculously how much produce gets thrown out at grocery stores. My motto is “nothing ventured, nothing lost”.

12 Likes

Plucked a lower branch of the Skywalker Kush plant to see how the seeds were coming along. Not bad for just shy of six weeks flowering…

33 Likes

How long do you figure it takes the seeds to reach maturity? Does it vary per plant?

3 Likes

Yes it varies with each plant. Generally seeds take 4-6 weeks to mature. I removed the males around week two. Another 2-3 weeks should finish them off.

14 Likes

Great idea with the Avocado, but they’re quiete pricey where I live. I wonder if you can replace it with a reusable non-plastic bowl and use something the worms love as a base. Chopped Kitchen Scraps could work.

10 Likes

Welcome to overgrow @starl0rd1980!

6 Likes

Welcome @starl0rd1980, I am pretty sure the secret ingredient is the avocado flesh itself. If you have not seen it in action then find a video on youtube. It is pretty insane how crazy they go.

7 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome :slight_smile:

@BudSy
Right now I’m running my first organic grow with self mixed soil and plan to go no-till in the long run. I will definitely keep the avocado trick in mind and take a look on youtube. Thanks for the tip.

6 Likes

Avocado has a lot of estrogen hormones in, so not good to eat to much if your male, recommended for women on HRT.

I think the estrogens trigger breeding responses in the worms.

5 Likes

Ive been recycling this soil for quite a while now. I’m trying to get my mother plants in better health. So I decided to mix up a fresh batch of soil.

For those who are interested, its basically a Coots mix.

• 2.5 gallons sphangum peat moss

• 2.5 gallons compost (mostly mushroom compost and some vermicompost)

• 3 gallons aeration (mostly perlite and some rice hulls)

• 1/2 cup neem meal

• 1/2 cup kelp meal

• 1/2 cup crab meal

• 1 cup malted barley powder

• 1 cup oyster shell flour

• 1 cup gypsum

• 1 cup glacial rock dust

• 1 cup basalt rock dust

24 Likes

Looks like a good mix, never used mushroom compost myself.

7 Likes

It’s the only compost I could find local.

10 Likes

I lived next to a Mushroom plant way back when they would give away the stuff they

pull out of their Mushroom Houses

we would use it in our vegetable gardens and the plants would be monsters

all the best

Dequilo

10 Likes

@ReikoX. Is there a reason you don’t use EWC?

1 Like

Yes, same here.
They were loading composted horse crap, using it for several grows and dump. Great stuff for a garden.

Cheers
G

4 Likes