Removing plexiglass from led fixture

Any issues with removing the plexiglass on a led lighting fixture. Obviously the plexiglass protects the lights from some moisture, but is that really a concern? The plexiglass will obviously limit some light transmission. Benefits risks etc… anyone know

2 Likes

i dont see any problem removing the plexiglass, its there not really for moisture but for bump protection, those diodes are soldered directly to the board, so the engineers wanted to minimize board movement, hence the plexiglass.

dont make a habit of knocking your light around, other than that your good to go.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. I always think anything in front of the bulb is cutting light esp plexi. This my first led grow. Got a shitty viparspectre 1350 off ebay for $200. I’ll go with a cob set up if it works out well. Doing a 4x4. Footprint

3 Likes

i started with one of those chinese blurple lights, about went blind lol.
it now sits on a shelf collecting dust.
i just get better results with a 600W hps.

2 Likes

I believe that plexi is there for a degree of ingress protection - splashes, dust, bugs, etc. I have taken a few of those apart and in my redneck opinion there should be no harm in ditching the plexi, unless you have wild shower parties while watering.

Amen.

3 Likes

The plexiglass is sometimes a diffuser or lense but you do lose some by having it.
That viper will do ok as long as you utilize it with it’s “actual” wattage in mind and not it’s advertised " equivalent" wattage

3 Likes

yea, what does that thing actually pull from the wall?

1 Like

The “1000w” I had was in fact 3x 60w and 1x 20w drivers…

As far as lensing goes, the good ones usually have individual optics on each diode made out of polycarbonate

2 Likes

i have a “1000w king plus” blurple led that in fact draws 150w, boooo…

2 Likes

Those 3, 60 w drivers sound like good diy cob candidates.

1 Like

Its supposed to draw 620watts max.

Guy from Mars Hydro said they had problems with versions covered by glass, more burned LEDs (Mars Hydro II). In the next generation, they stopped to use it.

1 Like

Hi, Just

Thanks for asking, the reason why the lens is easy to be burnt, is because there is a glass cover above the chip, when the working temp is up, the cover is easy to be burnt. So that, we removed this glass cover in later version and upgraded our chips :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: