Retro Gaming for the olds

Saturn is my main thing but do dreamcasts and gamecubes too. Get my fenrir odes direct from the guy who makes em. The minimum order sucks to get wholesale, but works out in the long run. Working on retrobrighting cases now as I have a few retro is cool cases for em but they are SO much more expensive than the gamecube and dreamcast ones. Need to use and/or sale refurbished cases from the ones I replace.

Also want to see about designing some case jewels for the dreamcast and gamecube to cut with my cnc. Be nice to have em for consoles I do and for sale elsewhere.

1 Like

My original name here, SOLGarion, was from a guild I was in in the original Never Winters Night hosted on AOL. Pay by the minute bitches!!! Which sucked when the game topped out at 500 players and you had to wait in a queue to get in.

Guild was Soldiers of Light so had to put Shit Outta Luck in front of your name. Lol.

raspberry pi with a custom case running retropi. i think it has just over 5000 mame games and all the games for three or four consoles i downloaded. nothing like the old stand up gaming…

6 Likes

Anyone got an Analogue Pocket?

4 Likes

Exite bike that shit

This was the first PvP shooter I played. A friend’s older brother had a 4 computer setup and we used to run around killing each other. This is well before Golden Eye

1 Like

Very cool. I did my custom cabinet with an old Die Hard arcade game. Put a full size pc in it, I still love that thing.

4 Likes

Unfortunately they need far more than retrobright. Both the Vic20 and Mac Classic have blow power supplies. The VIC is blown in such a way that if you plug it in, it could fry the circuit board.

All of them also have some iffy caps and other components. If I get around to these, there is a lot of disassembly and soldering in my future. I have the skills, and some knowledge, the rest I can find on reddit/youtube etc. It’s time and will I need to find. They are in much shorter supply.

In case it hasn’t been shared here, arcadepunks.com is a great place to get pre-packaged builds for PC or other devices loaded with tones of retro RIMS already. Legality is questionable though.

Recapping is standard for the old consoles too. I replace the psu to a new one to reduce the amount of effort of that. Changing leds, putting in replaceable batteries, all FAIRLY simple. Now putting hdmi into a dreamcast, that takes a bit more skill. Got 3 or 4 HDMI mods for dreamcast but havnt tried installing them myself yet. Good soldering is an art.

I have wrongwarpgaming.com for my stuff and supplies but havnt launched it really yet. Just doing ebay and mercari. I assume (assuming always works out, right?) @CapnCannabis is doing similar on ebay.

1 Like

This has been my go to for all my dreamcast capacitors Welcome to Console5.com
Luke has all the caps labeled and sorted out with the layout schematics.Cant get any easier than that.Im toying around with the idea of replacing the Stock caps with equal value ceramic capacitors so they never get old and puke on the board.

1 Like

Have you took a look at putting some of your wares on Etsy?Got my Loaded SD card on there seen a bunch of modded xbox and playstation stuff on there

I would on Etsy but after a disagreement as to whether the pipes I sold had carbs or not (they did but every pic I took made sure to not show them) theyve decided we should take a break. Now I am on fivebarpipes.com and ebay for that. This I will promote and say buy now, unlike my non-launched gaming site, since I am an OG sponsor to promote that. Promo code Overgrow15 on my site for 15% off and free seeds.

1 Like

So cool to see how you guys are modding Dreamcasts!

I got rid of all my retro stuff during the pandemic:

2x Sega Saturn
1x Sega Genesis/CD/32x
SNES Mini

Miss having a Saturn…I had to replace the CD drive for one of them which was fun. It had a mod chip in it but it stopped reading games so I uninstalled the chip thinking that it was the issue but it ending up being the CD drive. I lost the mod chip…oh well, the new owner has a fresh Saturn with a new drive and battery.

2 Likes

My systems aside from saturns, gamecubes, and dreamcasts, obviously are an n64 with hdmi mod, mega sg, super nt, AVS, and a analogue pocket. Kinda want a Mister but I already have fpga redundancy. Software emulation is fun but hardware emulation is where its at for authenticity. Who doesnt want slow downs because of too many sprites? Lol.

Only real games I collect are some NES games from my youth and homebrew carts. Gotta support em.

Dont remember how I got 2 crytalis’ but dont care. Good game. Worth two copies.

6 Likes

All about the tower of power. I can play sega CD games from the everdrive on my mega sg without the sega cd console but would need the hardware to play 32x games though the everdrive is compatible once you get the 32x itself.

2 Likes

For some reason i was absolutely obsessed with Doom 32x when it came out.The graphics at the time were not bad but the sound and the music on the 32x was the closest to the PC on a console you could get actually still sounds better to me now i think about it.

2 Likes

My sound design professor in college was always on about how good sound was way more important than good, high fidelity video. You’ll watch a shitty video if the sound quality is good. But 4k video with shitty audio? Nah, pass. Course as a sound dude he mightve been a bit bias, but I agree for the most part.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that site. Tons of cool unique stuff on there!

1 Like

Man , looking at those old NES games just brought back a flood of memories. Very very cool !

1 Like