Print It ALL! The 3D Print / Printer thread

Ok, so lots of buzz about printing stuff, and well, I will take the lead here and offer some assistance. These little machines are extremely capable, but they do take patience and a little bit of learning how to tweak them at first. Do NOT expect to plug it in and it just works like an inkjet printer would, there are several steps depending on the type of printer, and well, they aren’t THAT user friendly yet that its plug and play… BUT its not difficult to get successful 3D prints!!!

Ok, so where to start. Well. Obviously the printer! Or, perhaps TYPES of printers. For the most part, there’s FDM (aka Filament models), and Resin (uses a liquid resin that hardens when exposed to UV). Each has its benefits and drawbacks.

FDM - filament isn’t messy, but can tangle. Bigger build areas for less money. Takes a little time to learn to level a bed. The VAST majority of printers in use are FDM (filament deposition method)

Resin - resin can be messy, you NEED gloves, as it can cause burns if left on you and exposed to the sun. Details on resin are 10,000 times better than filament (great for tiny things needing detail, lithophanes, etc). Build plates are small and require a GOOD knowledge of slicing and supporting for some really detailed prints. Not the best option for mass production of most goods (hell, injection molding for lots of stuff vs. printing at all, FDM or resin, really, but printers allow you to retool for pennies on the dollar and change on the fly while injection molding is costly for molds)

So. Printers. There are LOTS of them out there. You honestly get what you pay for with many, but there’s lots of overpriced garbage too. So, lets start with one of the most popular. Creality Ender 3 (pro / V2 / whatever). My farm here consists of 8 Ender 3’s in various trim (4 are regular “Ender 3”, 4 are “Ender 3 Pro”. Biggest difference is the silent motherboard and a beefier Y axis. The silent motherboard helps quiet it down as the stepper motors make a whining sound with other drivers (the motors dont actually make the sound, it comes from the drivers on the mainboard). Some drivers (ex 2209) are silent. If your printer is in an area where you are frequently, the silent board is nice (but you still hear fans, just less whining from the stepper drivers). SO… This printer is insanely popular, there are forums for it, plenty of FB groups, tons of help out there for them. AND… If you are lucky, and have a Microcenter near you, you can use this coupon for ONE HELL of a discount:

$100 Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer | New Customer Exclusive (microcenter.com)

Only in-store purchases, so hope ya have a Microcenter near you. I literally just bought 1, and had my GF buy 1 today as the closest Microcenter FINALLY had stock (these coupons have been going on for a year and my MC never had em in stock). So, YUP, out the door, $102 tax included (Thank god for Urban Enterprise Tax Zones!) Its not the latest “V2” model, but really, do you wanna spend $239 or $99 for a printer with 99% of the same parts and they BOTH perform IDENTICALLY (the V2’s look nicer, but its literally fan shrouds and bullshit NOT worth the extra $140)

Ok, don’t want an Ender and got money to burn? Prusa makes some awesome stuff, more automations so less tweaking, but still some tweaking needed. But generally regarded as Top of the Line for this “class” of printer (250mmx250mm or smaller FDM). Generally expect to spend about $700+, but you are buying the Bentley, not the Honda Accord… In the end, a print from an Ender or Prusa would look the same, if you’ve setup the print / printer right. The extra money spent just takes some tweaking out of the equation.

Most other printers are based off these two styles… Some may be ok, 90% of the parts can be interchanged lots of times (stepper motors are usually NEMA 40 motors, Lead Screws use the same pitch, etc). So even a POS printer can be upgraded with quality components.

If you want the super detail, Resin is your ticket. Most resin guys print D&D Minis, Action figures, etc. Because the detail is there and you really dont see layer lines (FDM printers print in layers 0.2mm layers, resin printers print in 0.01mm layers, like 200x the detail). Elegoo makes the Mars and Saturn series printers, and these are reliable and easy to use once you learn to slice for resin (slicing and supports are VERY different in resin, than FDM) The tradeoff is most are much smaller print beds (size of an avg cell phone), and larger ones (tablet sized) run a bit more like the $800 range. Less commonly used style, but only because there are the right tools for the right job. (I have 11 FDM and 1 Resin so you can see which I use more). Resin, when used for the right job, produces AMAZING prints.

Ok, so you’ve read supports and slicing, but have no clue what I am talking about. Well, a slicer is a program (most are free, I use Prusa Slicer mostly (not locked into using a prusa printer with it yay!), but Cura is the other really popular slicer. A slicer program takes your 3D model, and “slices” it into layers, then generates the toolpath for your printer to “lay down the filament” (or, in a resin printer, expose only that layers shape). So. a slicer essentially takes one type of file (usually an STL file), and makes it into a gcode file so your printer can make the item. Printers cannot understand an STL file and need gcode files to print. SUPPORTS! Essentially, gravity prevents us from printing in the air. Bridges can be printed, aka filament spans between two points. But overhangs need support (or they fall before they can harden / be built up). An Ender 3 can typically print to a 30 degree angle, and beyond that needs support (90 being vertical, 0 being horizontal, supports are needed from 0 to 30 degrees). A Resin printer requires different supports to be generated. Most slicers have auto-support generation and it works 99% of the time flawlessly, but special attention needs to be paid for resin supports. Islands (parts of a print, that are printed without a support, and are not connected to another part) can cause catastrophic failures like punctured FEP films, so DO pay attention to supports in detailed resin models. Your printer could depend on it.

Upgrades? Lots of them, and LOTS OF JUNK. On my printers I usually swap the mainboard to a BigTreeTech Mini E3 (v1.2 or now v2.0). I prefer a glass bed, but the stock print surface works just as good. $30 for creality glass bed or $4 for 2 pieces cut to size at lowes? I’ll go to lowes thank you, the borosilicate bed from creality STILL can chip and pit, and then its just a $4 piece of glass anyway. Bed Levellers - They make some things easy, but they DO not just level your bed for you. You STILL need to be able to figure out offsets and shit, so just LEARN TO LEVEL YOUR BED without one! I have 1 on my first printer (upgrade queen that didnt need 50% of that shit). And I have 2 more on my 400x400 enders because at that bed size, the bed DOES warp (and thats where the Bed Levellers, aka a BL Touch, will help, it maps the bed and adjusts the print head according to the warps in the bed). Thats its for the upgrades that matter (to me). If you plan on high temp filaments, an all-metal hotend also helps. With PLA filament its not needed.

Sending your print to the printer…
Stock way is transfer via a Micro-SD card, aka Sneaker-Net. These printers don’t hook up like a standard inkjet or laser printer do. If you want to avoid sneaker-net, you get this awesome free software called OctoPrint, and install it on a Raspberry Pi, which you plug the printer into. That gives you a web interface on your LAN to be able to send files to the printer, and PrusaSlicer even lets me print directly to an Octoprint setup. Not essential to use Octoprint to make a print, but if you use your printer daily, its a worthy investment of time (cause really, the Pi 3B shouldnt cost you much at all)

Filaments / Resins. There are as many manufacturers as there are printers. Find one you like. I like Overture and Hatchbox, and Amazon Basics isnt bad either. I use Elegoo resin for my resin printer. Price can vary from $15/kg to $200/kg for specialty filaments meant to be cindered / welded later (metal infused filaments). $22 / 1kg roll is what I spend usually and am happy with the filament. Moisture can degrade filaments making crappy prints, some filaments are affected more than others (hygroscopic). PLA I leave out with no issues. ABS and PETG I would seal and keep as low RH as possible while storing. You can revive “wet” spools using a food dehydrator, or an oven (just be cautious with the oven temp / time).

Ok, I think that covers the essentials. So what have I made?

“vent” to convert a rubbermaid tote to a cloning / humidity chamber

Camera mounts for shooting spherical, aka 360° videos, WHILE scuba diving. Underwater brings its own challenges with refraction. I have 3, 4, 5,6 and 9 camera mounts, and some even do stereo 360 fairly decently (in a headset, you WANNA reach out and grab the tube sponges, they are RIGHT THERE!) lol My favorite is the 6 cam “flying saucer” (not pictured) its got 2 cams on each side of a triangle, for L/R eyes. Stitching Cam1L with Cam2L and Cam3L, and doing the same with Cam1R, 2R and 3R, was fun, but the final product is mindblowing! Too big to share online and you really need a Head Mounted Display to see the 3D effect.

Lithophanes (these combine black FDM prints, and white resin prints)

Remote holder so my buddy would stop losing remotes to his 3yr old…

Scuba Tank boat Holders - $5 to print, or $42 to buy a replacement arm.

MOST of the sensors in my grow are ESP32 boards using 3D printed enclosures (gotta get pics of them).

I am sure I will add a ton of printed objects from the house. So much stupid stuff ya dont even think about it like Clips to mount a whiteboard. They are functional and just blend in.

Oh, and I have a whole HO Scale Model RR layout thats printed. Some houses:

Plus the flips… And holders for my dab rig parts, holders for carts, tent accessories like camera pole mounts and shelves.

Really, the only limit is your imagination…

Ok… Time for another hash hit…

52 Likes

20 Likes

Almost forgot… SITES to get things! There’s a few, cults3d.com has minis and characters, thingiverse.com has everything you can think of. Search for wierd stuff like that button you lost on your bissel vacuum cleaner… Google for a name + STL like “Baby Yoda STL” and you get links to many sites that have them.

And DO be respectful of the creators license!! Some have non-commercial licenses, so don’t be printing their things to sell… Make / design your own! Some have simple acknowledgment licenses, and some are just a free-for-all… On that note, if YOU design some awesome thing-a-ma-jig, and release the STL file, its out there forever, defending a creators license costs money. (but printing spiderman or thor or yoda? well the big movie studios can sue sue SUE!). If ya dont think big companies dont protect their intellectual property, just look up Lego Mini Fig for 3D printing. There were TONS out there. Then Lego started sending cease and desist letters to everbody, forcing removal almost everywhere. Anywhere you find em today, they don’t last long. So don’t rip off others, and even more so, don’t rip off the big guys, they DO come after printers!

17 Likes

Dude that is the coolest shit I’ve ever seen in my life ! I could get stoned and play with that model neighborhood for hours. That looks real . A lot of the info is going over my head but man that is a really impressive & thought provoking hobby. :pray:t2::+1:t2::heart:

10 Likes

Hell ya, I dig it! I might dump some pictures of things I have made and printed lately. :+1:

7 Likes

Really cool! I love this sort of stuff and seeing people’s creativity.

4 Likes

How much smell/fumes do these things put off?

3 Likes

Little to none on the PLA’s I have printed with personally.

My printer is on my kitchen island printing away right now heh.

4 Likes

19 Likes

We have a ton of fun with this thing, it makes everything we need. All small parts,. Any tool, toys, pictures, all sorts of stuff.

3 Likes

PLA - almost none. Maple syrup smell when you’ve got a screwed up print and filament jammed around the hotend burning (not fire, just at its printing temp WAY longer than it would be, so it smells like maple syrup to me).

ABS you want a hood / vent for. But ABS is use specific (PLA is most common really). Theres lots of filament types for different uses. Unless you NEED to print ABS for a reason, no hood or vent is needed usually.

Go for it man! The point of this thread is to show what can be done, and just how many uses there are around the home… Share them prints!

Its a true “model RR on a budget”. I bought track, some trees, and some foam board. Printed all the buildings, most of the grass / dirt is either REAL dirt / clay / stonedust, and the grass is painted sawdust or dried / ground up moss. Most of the scenery work is paint/glue/water mixture over paper towels and toilet paper draped over foam forms, then sprinkled with ground cover. Virtually nothing purchased “for the hobby” to do that (shits WAY expensive!)… my 6x10 layout is 1.5 yrs old and still not half finished. Little here, little there, scenery gets done eventually…

Wish my pops was around for the model RR stuff. He had one when I was a kid, and he was a draftsman / engineer, he would have had a blast designing and printing his own buildings…

8 Likes

This is all really awesome we have barely scratched the surface of printables…been busy lately…

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your father. I’ve worked with some very, very sharp draftsman/engineers (I’m a code welder)
Looks like your dad passed that on to you. That’s very impressive I know your old man would be proud. Thank you for making this thread it’s going to be very informative and awesome.my 94 yr old ww2 vet welding mentor / best friend R.I.P. would be 97 use to tell me in the shop when I would screw something up learning to weld was “What One Man Can F**k Up Anotherone Can Fix” Charles T. So true too. :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::heart::heart::heart:

6 Likes

He passed 14 years ago, so this is long after him, we didn’t even dream of this when he was alive. But I know this would have been a game changer for him. AND he was somewhat tech capable, so he could easily learn it :smiley:

Pops did pass on his engineering / reverse engineering / repair skills for sure. My most valuable possessions are tools, not because of what they cost, but because of what they can do :slight_smile: The printers are yet another tool in the arsenal.

I’m only 48, but man, the progress in my lifetime? much less the progress in just the past 30 years!!! At 18 I didn’t even have a 300 baud modem yet!! And the PC? DAMN, mine does it all. Media server with a warehouse full of music, film production studio (I do my own spherical diving videos), photo editing, on top of basic office stuff like spreadsheets and databases… Its insane when I look at my current PC, and compare to my first. My first printer was Dot Matrix LOL, now I can print 3D functional items. WAY cool time to be alive, even with all the woes of the world today…

8 Likes

Super cool thread bro!!

You’ve definitely got my attention…

How strong is the material used or can you get different grades I’m guessing?

3 Likes

That’s awesome man. Yeah your like a Doc on back to the future and I’m like Lennie from mice of men, when it comes to technology lol. No offense to Lennie But man I’m behind the 8-ball on this stuff, that’s why I’m enrolled in your class here on OG lol. Looking forward to all your knowledge you and others pour into this thread. :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Is this something good for a beginner? After buying a machine I guess I just need the rolls of plastic in whatever colour I want?

4 Likes

Wow, I gotta dig up pics of the seed winnower… HOW did I not post those / the vid? LOL

How Strong is a 3D printed item. LOTS of variables there, and you design / orient / choose the filament based on need really. PLA / ABS / PETG are the three most common. PLA is the weakest, ABS is used for lots of car trim parts, so its hard, but brittle, and PETG is what bottles are made from. in layers its tougher than PLA, more flexible than ABS. Since printing is done in layers, printing orientation makes a difference in strength. For example, I print a 1/2" diameter rod. Standing straight up is the weakest (think: stack of pancakes). If I print it laying down, the layers are now running top to bottom, or longwise, vs left to right. MUCH stronger, you could snap the vertically printed one easily, and would work to break the horizonally printed one.

I also print TPU occasionally, thats SUPER soft and squishy, its a flexible material used more for phone cases, or multi-material prints where the TPU acts as a hinge, or as a gasket. TPU will print on PLA with a filament change mid-print :smiley:

Strength can also be determined by # of outer walls, or even percentage of infill. I could make my pucks 100% infill, and a steamroller would likely press them into pavement. For reference I print at 20% infill most times, and have NO issues. Rarely I need to print at 50% infill (usually for a purpose). More outer walls is stronger too, but depends on the overall size of the object.

6 Likes

This is awesome!
I fell in love with 3D printing about 3 years ago when I bought my first Ender 3. I play D&D and miniatures are much too expensive. I always do things the long way, so…instead of spending a couple hundred on miniatures,I got one and i could just print as many miniatures as my filament supply allowed! Now I use it to print everything and anything that I need a piece for. It has become a great hobby to me in it’s own right.
I’ll share some of my creations shortly, I have to find some pics.

5 Likes

I literally added TWO of those printers to the farm today, so, uhm, yes? LOL. I wish you could get the microcenter deal man, I literally paid $101.30 out the door per printer with the coupon I posted above. Only in store purchases though…

They are a solid printer, GREAT user base (some cocky assholes, but most people are super helpful to newbies who do a LITTLE research before asking questions). I have a total of 8 Ender 3’s here so I am a fan…

And yes, rolls of filament (1.75mm, NOT 3MM be mindful of that!) usually 1kg roll is $20-$22 USD and for a beginner, can print ALOT. Printing 24x7 I run thru a 1kg spool every few days per printer… The printer does come with a sample amount of junk filament, enough to halfway print the test prints usually ROFL

3 Likes