Revegging (Monster Cropping)

Well thanks for posting, did you clone them as usual or at a flowering cycle until they rooted ? That one looks great, just short of 8 weeks or so when you took cuttings? I’m getting tired of keeping 2 clones of everything for like 10 weeks before I smoke so-so moms. Thinking of using reveg or clone during flower (which I’m 2 wks at and no external roots but flowers are dying at 18/6) to save moms. I like variety…

I took 3 cuts from each plant. Of those, only 1 cut from each had roots protruding from the rooter. I had them under 18/6 this whole time. They have only been on the DWC for a few weeks, and last time I finally gave them some veg nutes

2 Likes

When I saw my homeboy @other_barry talk about “monster cropping” I told him, in short, it was a dumb idea and I can do better-

Then he taught me something…

I’ve been growing pot off and on since the 80s. I think he just started last year :slight_smile:

I love the fact that I will never stop learning about this awesome plant.

So, I tried taking a cut from my favorite plant at the moment

But I’m 12 days in the bubble cloner, and no sign of roots…

2 Likes

I think I got super lucky having one from each root like that. The smaller plant clone hasn’t really been going anywhere, and I noticed the mutant reveg growth was kind of cupping in the new growth, and not letting it out. I just pried it loose on 2 spots, so we shall see if it can recover or not. I have no idea what I am doing man xD I hope that one works out for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pics?

Here’s my similar aged clone-

It’s got some impressive lower growth…

2 Likes

Here is where they are today. The small one finally has a couple of branches starting to sprout out.

3 Likes

Here’s mine, including scotch tape repair-

I was worried about stretch, so I pinched the tops, and fat fingered one in half…

2 Likes

Also cut the top to clone again.

I’m giving up on the bud cut. If it doesn’t show any sign of roots after 2 weeks, I’m done-

1 Like

Well, this monster cropping method is prob best suited for those using aero cloners or similar. My method of rooter plug and humidity dome is just resulting in mold on one of the two so far. I trimmed all but the top buds off, leaving the leaves but not having high hopes of saving a cut of these particular plants. But the first cuttings I took of them didn’t want to root when their sisters did.

I use a bubble cloner. Just a simple tote with air stone.

I think what bothers me is the name “monster cropping”.

Maybe better called, “possible reveg cloning”

2 Likes

I started to free this new growth before I thought to take the picture, but this should illustrate how the small plants reveg is trying to kill itself

The new growth is in a shell of a dead leaf, that seems crispy, yet intact enough to keep the new growth completely contained (until I came along)

I don’t really consider the small strain a keeper, myself, just trying to get it large enough to send someone cuts from each. I may be able to run the other pheno a few times while I wait. :rofl:

4 Likes

I took the cutting at 5-6 weeks in flwer. Took a looooonnnng time to show any roots. But finally took root. Here she is about 3 weeks after she started showing any new leaves.

2 Likes

I have another that I cut at the same time. She is still tiny but is finally showing some new growth. I may limp this little guy along and try to run Colloidal Silver on her. And take a clone from the nice clone to pollinate for fem seeds

Update on the 2 phenos, and a better picture of the cocoon mutated growth that had been containing the new growth

Hacked back the vigorous pheno and it is starting to fill back in a bit. The small one finally has some branches, so I just cut away the old stuff

2 Likes

Almost two weeks later. Up potted and did a little trimming and lst.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing a few experiments on how extreme you can go and still get things to reveg… most of these have been flowered outside and dug up; root pruned, repotted and then put under 24hr light for a week before being dropped back to 18/12.

So far it seems so long as I leave even the smallest amount of green up top and it’s not completely grown out and dying, then pretty much anything will reveg.

This is incredibly useful for filtering through lots of unknown or variable genetics and finding the good stuff that you want to continue using… it means you can grow them all the way out and even test and sample the smoke and then only reveg the best of them. Saves cloning everything just in case you miss the perfect pheno etc…

So far nothing has failed to reveg…

7 Likes

I find going easy in them by using CFL lights and mixing my well water with rain or distilled water helps with a revegging plant. My shop light led didn’t do a very good job with revegging

1 Like

I remember re-vegging a purple plant 20 years ago. Was the ONLY purple plant we ever saw here, and we didn’t know much yet. Harvested some buds, dug her up and into 24x7 lighting. The re-veg looked absolutely horrible, wierd twisted leaves and stems, but 2 months later and it was like bob ross’s hair, an absolute FRO of new growth, just perfect to make clones from. Sadly, our cloning skills weren’t developed yet, and we failed miserably. Had a slight freak out with a visit from the police investigating a break-in at a local deli / liquor store, trails in the dew covered grass led from the woods to the garage we would hang out in (we would go outside and pee on the property line, honestly had nothing to do with the breakin). We got rid of her that night sadly :frowning: We figured they were coming back for more questions and sanitized the place. But I will never forget how gnarly that re-veg looked!

7 Likes

Such brutal honesty. Good story.
:v:have a good day

2 Likes

Hey friend!! Digging dead bones!! LOL! Liked the story, but surely it wasn’t a comfortable experience!! Nice ending, sad but nice!!

1 Like