Risk vs. Reward, any thoughts?

take it keep a part from your room if you can and watch it :slight_smile:

you can also spray it with neem oil while you wait

you will know pretty quick

8 Likes

Isolate it in a seperate place until you’re sure it’s good.

I keep all new incoming clones in a small grow tent under t5s and observe them while they veg out for a long time before they even come anywhere close to mother plants. Also use intake and exhaust filters so I’m not spreading anything around inadvertently.

7 Likes

@dequilo, @anon16977489, thanks for the contribution! I will take your advice, and do the quarantine, neem treatment. Seems a shame to let her go, all things considered. Not sure why, but I feel a connection to the BOG, and his genetics. Hope I can do his plant justice. RIP Old Bushy Grower.

3 Likes

Grow it out in isolation/quarantine for a while(4-6wks) & by then anything weird will show up & you can take fresh clones, trash the mother.

sterilize anything you carry between it & the others, including hands & clothes.

:+1:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

This is great advice. Thank you! I am pertified of the ‘unknown’ that comes with outside influences. I took a few clones this summer of some super skunk, but they were outside, and suject to my army of ‘defenders’, so i had no worries.

Inside? Worries!!!

2 Likes

Rooting cuttings is easy, you don’t need special equipment. Small cuttings and clone are a lot easier to check over and disinfect.

Just give them less light than I did in that post

Cuttings and clones taken in, I fumigate with a no pest strip, be careful with those.

Just read that you took clones from outdoor plants. So you know how to :stuck_out_tongue:. But especially from outdoors, treat and quarantine! Less problems when outside, but bring those eggs in and watch out!

5 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing your method. Your ideas will be incorporated, as i move ahead. I find the soaking interesting, something I have not tried. Are you soaking cuts for quarantine, or soaking all cuts you take?

1 Like

If by soak you’re talking about completely submerged, then that’s for anything that wasn’t grown inside my setup. Cuttings off my own plants I soak the stem for a while to fully hydrate before putting into peat/coco pellets

2 Likes

Personally if its your cut and was good and only way your getting it back i would take the risk.
If your concerned just take a cut of her back. Treat it and put it under a little light or even screw bulb in in a different room for a week or 2. But i wouldnt pass on it.

2 Likes

If you really don’t want any critters and you are willing risk a bit you could always take the cut and Protocol 0 those aliens

3 Likes

yah if it breathes you can drown it’s ass. Submerge in cold water for 30min it cures up problem bugs, don’t let them get a gasp of air lol! I don’t even think david blane could survive that.

3 Likes

So, I think this will be a mature clone, perhaps in soil or coco, not sure. If i went the soak way, I would have to wash the soil off, and then replant. I’ve never tried this.

1 Like

Well if you are following @JoeCrowe 's Protocol 0 here is the play by play.

More typical quarantine approach provided by @ReikoX

3 Likes

@Cartwright.
If that strain is that important to you and this is the only way to get it back, then you’d be a fool to let it go over something that is easily remedied by quarantining that plant away from your other plants for at least two weeks under constant observation. Check all parts of the plant using at least a 10X scope/loupe, specifically looking for anything that looks like it’s affixed to the surface of the plant. Anything that looks like eggs or moves on the surface of the plant and undersides of leaves will be easily seen, making disposal of the foreign matter a lot easier.

Once you’re satisfied that your new plant is clean and free of any pests/pathogens, it may be introduced and incorporated into your grow without fear.

Quarantine any and all plants that came from outside of your grow for a minimum of two weeks, no matter where they came from. It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to adding unknown plants into a grow. It takes a little time and observation for anything that may be on the new plant to be discovered and destroyed… without quarantining plants first, you could lose everything you have.

2 Likes

Yeah just sterilize it before you put it in with your other plants

1 Like

Thank you very much, have you used @JoeCrowe’s protocol?

1 Like

Much obliged, I am torn between the protocol 0, and Reiko’s method. I would really like to just grab the plant, immediately isolate it, treat, etc… without any great machinations. But, I am also petrified of the ‘unknown’, so I have a space for it, and will react when she shows up.

Thank you all for pitching in over here, very much appreciated!

Will share pics, once the dust has settled.

2 Likes

No I haven’t, I don’t take on strays but if I did, depending on the level of worry I would do one of these two methods, Quarantine for something I cannot visually see any issues with through the microscope or visual inspection and Protocol 0 for suspected issues like finding egg sacks or exoskeletons under the microscope.

It should be noted that even in Reiko’s quarantine regime, notice he does’t take on any foreign substrate meaning clone and isolate immediately, chuck the root ball and soil in the compost. Straight isolation of a foreign plant with it’s roots intact could be enough to start an infestation especially for pesticide-resistant bastards used to a regular IPM program that you may not want to continue or be able to maintain.

Take your time, clone and isolate, use sticky traps in with your clones as an early indicator and check them under the scope regularly. Handle your quarantined plants like an open wound -clean in and clean out and you shouldn’t have any trouble.

Good luck @Cartwright, BOG’s stuff will likely become harder to come by in time so likely worth putting the effort in to preserve the lineage and protect your grow.

1 Like

Killing bugs is incredibly easy if you aren’t afraid of pesticides. Any snip coming in gets treated with a broad spectrum insecticide and that’ll prevent 99% of problems.

Viruses are a different story, but statistically you’ll be fine, especially if he doesn’t have a bunch of other “elite” cuts from other people.

3 Likes

Excellent insight, thanks for taking the time to write it down for me.