Rogue Grows The Permaculture Way . NL5xAfghan . Tatanka CBD

What better day to start a grow diary than on 4/20, right?

Seeds

• Mr. Nice NL5xAfghan, regular
  • Tatanka CBD by Royal Queen Seeds, feminised
  • Either it’s Black Cream Auto, Devil Cream Auto or Cream Caramel Auto by Sweet Seeds, not sure.
  • Aurora Borealis auto fem ( starts at post 15 )

Tatanka CBD:

Got a drastic surge in humidity with as result budrot on two of them so I removed all affected material. They wanted me to take their clothes off, and who am I to say no?

Weird growth of the cola’s is from accidental revegging from keeping the main flap open, got that under control now. 12 hours of total darkness every night.

This is basically the 2nd start of flowering. They still have a ways to go.

In the pic above you can see the high water mark of my continuous winter soak. That’s right, I gave them a months long foot bath just to see what happened and have now let it dry out completely. All pots haven’t been watered since the 1st of April.

While they were standing in a puddle of water fungus gnats happened and I lost a few seedlings but 4 out of 8 survived. 50% survival rate. That’s the natural balance and odds when growing in a swamp. Now I want to find out what happens if I never water them within this grow cycle. To know how long my soil can retain moisture.

Above picture has red beet in the corner, grown from kitchen scrap. The beet never really regrows, it just creates thin white roots, but the leaves keep growing, I use some as topdressing and others I eat. Also slugs prefer them over cannabis.

Edit: I have one red beet now that is regrowing fully, I guess it depends on how big the top is that you cut off and plant.

Below picture, the largest one is the Cream strain.
was sown in the tent with the adult CBD and didn’t get enough light so stretched a lot, then I lowerd the light too much and she got burned, so I rigged up a second LED somewhere else and seperated them. Then sowed the NL5xAfghan to keep her company. The burn was quite severe, the top growth turned completely yellow and stopped growing, so I pinched off the top, basically FIM’d her. Two main branches developing now, being held down. She survived the gnats too.

Above picture, elm oyster mushrooms ( hypsizygus ulmarius ) pinning at the bottom of the NL5xAfghan seedling. Added some mycelium when I sowed it.

Good to know that whatever grows in my soil until harvest can tolerate gnats. I guess I’ll call it stress testing. Survival of the fittest seed, whatever dies wasn’t strong enough to live. Welcome to planet Earth.

A 50/50 survival rate is fine for me. That’s balance. The cycle of life. Winter and Summer. I can wait until something wants to grow in there. There’s always something that comes up eventually and survives until harvest when you keep adding seeds. Just keep laying down a wide variety of organic matter and manure. Whatever is common in my area, nettles, dandelions, thistles, these contain lots of minerals because they have deep taproots.
I go outside now and then to harvest some green manure to use as topdressing. Everything that is free and close. In nature everything is always new. You’ll never pick the same plant, every nettle or weed is unique, I continuously make discoveries of how connected and diverse everything is.

All life feeds on death.
All death feeds on life.

“A forest grows on top of a fallen forest.” - Geoff Lawton

Everything is an experiment of balancing extremes, allowing everything to unfold.

Living soil and an “only add water when the plant wilts” type of approach.

• 20 days since I last watered. Soil still moist.

Let’s see where this goes.

Soil mix

• Certified organic compost
  • Wormcastings
  • Malted barley
  • Seaweed
  • Basalt
  • Alfalfa

I’ve thrown a lot of other random organic matter in my pots since I started. A little soil from my back yard, apple cores, banana peels, orange peels, nettle, beetroot leaves, cucumber plant matter, grass, woodchips, dandelion, sticky weeds (that living velcro stuff), tree leaves, onion (decomposes really fast), broccoli and carrot scraps, stuff like that.

Most recently topped up the two youngest pots with a thin layer of peat/sand mix to keep the gnats in check. There was a reduction.

17 Likes

Welcome to your first grow log with us! Pulling up a stump and will attend! Always up for new views and ideas. Love the quotes!!! Glad to have you!

3 Likes

Any worms in your soil? Might help breakdown all that organic matter but also might aerate the soil if you’re trying to avoid that?

Is there any specific sort of climate zone you are trying to emulate or sort of just random?

There’s a few worms in there, yeah. Worm castings help retain water.

Aeration is of no concern, that’s what the worms and insects are doing, there’s no compacting, there’s no one walking on the soil except insects so it’s never an issue.

Not regulating the room much, only heating when it’s very cold in there. No ventilation except the fan in my LEDs, which heats the tent up quite nicely at times. I leave the zippers open when the light is on, which is usually enough to avoid condensation, most of the time.

When I see drops forming at the bottom of the inside of my tent it’s time to turn the heating on in the room.

1 Like

Nice sharing

1 Like

^ Mushroom pins stretching for light. Live and let live.

^ Double headed Cream girl is starting to bloom. Grateful for whatever she can give me. I’m guessing about two months til harvest.

^ NL5xAfghan, with some clover sprouting in the corner, if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

A post I shared in the Insomnia thread:

Tatanka CBD is doing wonders for my sleep, I haven’t slept so well in months and I’ve only been drinking tea made from the leaves and the lower tiny popcorn buds for the last 3-4 days, mixed with fresh nettle and dandelion. It still has more than a month to go til harvest. I’m very impressed.
Happy calm mood as well, waking up with a serene smile. Recommended.

If anyone knows of regular seeds or crosses with this strain please send me a message.
Gonna keep growing this one and maybe cross it with some other CBD strain I can get regular seeds of.
Any recommendations? Ideally a strain that is mold resistant and good for epilepsy as well, sharing my harvest with a buddy of mine who didn’t get enough oxygen at birth and has a rare type of epilepsy that the doctors haven’t a clue about. He needs 12-16 hours of sleep a day when he gets attacks, they wreck him, and he easily gets skin infections.

Very dense plants and they do NOT like humidity.

Sweet herb smell, makes me think of some natural cough medicine herbal tablets I got as a kid.
The leaves can be very spicy! Like radish kinda spicy.

2 Likes

^ Tatanka crowns starting to develop buds.

^ NL5xAfghan coming along nice and easy.

^ Cream girl has been developing her leaves a bit more. Smells like sweet mint and dried plum.

Day 29 of not watering.

Topdressed every pot with horse manure.

7 Likes

That NL5xAfghan is looking good! Do you think you’ll try the water soaking and then extended period of no water again?

1 Like

When they’re asking for water, literally wilting or some other clear sign, then I’ll bottom soak them again for an hour, maybe overnight, until they ask again. I’ve soaked a couple of pots with red beet yesterday but they only absorbed a tiny bit, it wasn’t necessary at all. So I’m guessing they can go for another month.

2 Likes

^ Tatanka buds keep expanding. Inspecting for mold almost every day, had to harvest one plant prematurely. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rubbed it on the stem of another one that showed a little bit of mold at a wound and it didn’t come back since.

^ NL5xAfghan, topdressed with chopped up dandelion leaves, FIM’ed but that didn’t do much, so I topped her. Hasn’t stopped growing at all, absolutely loving the structure, lower branches growing almost horizontally. Visible new growth every day. After 38 days without water I top watered a little bit with urine diluted with cooked pasta water although the soil was still moist.

^ Cream girl is slowly giving more bud. Also topdressed with dandelion leaves and some urine diluted with pasta water.

4 Likes

^ Chopped the Tatanka CBD, humidity went up and found a few tiny patches of mold again so they got the axe. Most pistils were amber so perhaps it was the right time anyway. Buds were getting fatter still but such is life.

^ Bottom and top watered after sowing two Aurora Borealis auto feminized, courtesy of @CADMAN on behalf of @Oldtimerunderground

^ Cream girl’s buds keep getting fatter. The smell is beautiful. Blackcurrant/grape bubblegum. Thick and sweet.

^ NL5xAfghan is doing mighty fine. Topdressed with banana peel.

6 Likes

Hell yeah bro, killin it. Plants looking healthy now, love the purple on the cream girl too. Nice work man, looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Aurora, I’ll be popping some soon too. Looking forward to the pics. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @Oldtimerunderground , looking forward to what’s coming too!

^ Topped the two main ends, didn’t slow her down one bit. Tucked some leaves too. No more topping now.

^ Fungi claiming what’s theirs. Probably adding a layer of nettles soon, the bush in my backyard is almost waist high.

2 Likes

^ Tatanka CBD decarboxylated “au bain marie” for 3 hours. Eat one teaspoon a day.
Tastes extremely bitter and quite spicy. Extremely potent for CBD, I’m kinda giggly.
Warm feeling in the belly and the solar plexus. Increased focus. Breathing slower.
Feeling a little heavier in the head but in the nicest way. Deeper anchored in the moment.
Not a full body relax but it does relax the mind significantly.
Having harvested early will have something to do with it.
More potent than the Cibdol 20% CBD oil I’ve had.
Does wonders for digestion as well.
I’m very impressed.

Edit: A couple of hours after eating it, the effect is still getting stronger. It’s been slowly and gradually rising, feeling very very nice. Face a little bit numb, and grinning a bit. :sunglasses:
It’s more spread throughout my body now that my liver is releasing more of it.
What a pleasant surprise this strain is. Decent antidepressant.

^ Aurora Borealis auto fem sprout.

it's alive

3 Likes

^ Aurora Borealis, pretty fast development, as can be expected from something with Low Ryder genes.
The vetch (vicia sativa) is doing very good too. If there’s one plant that is completely unbothered by fungus gnat larvae it’s vetch. Will chop and drop it as soon as the Aurora shows the slightest signs of deficiency or stalling.

^ Secret Dragon courtesy of @Slick1
Thanks brother. Vetch growing there too.

^ Phone photo doesn’t do it justice but I’m impressed with my little bonsai Cream girl, lots of pink and white sugar, even more on the underside of the leaves.

^ Mr. Nice NL5xAfghan on the right. Topped twice. In total 10 soon-to-be colas that are roughly at the same height, give or take an inch. Very pleased with the structure, plenty of light dropping into the middle of the plant for the lower inner buds. Switched to 11/13 a few days ago.

3 Likes

Hell yeah! I haven’t seen the Secret Dragon in flower yet so I’ll be watching to see how you make out. I grew one out and it was doing well until it sexed as a male so I yanked it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a male, could be interesting crossing it with the Aurora. :upside_down_face:

@Slick1 Does it respond well to topping?

2 Likes

I honestly can’t remember if I even topped it for as far as I got with it. I would assume so though. Like I said it’s all Bodhi gear that went into it and everyone raves about Bodhi making great stuff.

2 Likes

^ Cream bud, gave me a very strong petrol / acetone scent as I was cutting it up, it’s decarbing now.

5 Likes