Root cloning propagation questions

So I just came across a technique where you can propagate new plant shoots from a section of root. I believe it’s called root budding? (edit: nope, this is wrong. budding is a graft and i’m trying to clone) I’m having a lot of trouble finding info. Any help please? Thanks!

Looks like for a DWC setup i’d have a super easy time of it. Just snip some good healthy side roots, bury in some moist sub like a stem clone, and leave it light tight until the shoots emerge. Did I get that right?

Anyone got some tips for better success? I can always hedge my bets with a few containers, but I’d love to feel better about my odds with knowledge too.

6 Likes

Never heard of root budding technique…you got my attention! Pullin up a chair and some :popcorn:

Alaskagrown

5 Likes

Do you have any links to take a look at?

4 Likes

From what I hear, it not only works in late flower but also will pop out DOZENS of shoots that look like seedlings with cotelydons.

3 Likes
1 Like

This may help you.

4 Likes

It’s highly likely I’ve used improper terminology here. I got “root budding” from the thread I linked above, but upon further search that seems to be a grafting technique, which is not what I’m after. What I want is a cloning technique.

Sorry for any confusion.

And thank you, Buzz… it’s been SEVERAL years, glad to see you again :blush: Although I used the wrong term I still need to read this guide you sent anyway. Thank you so much!

6 Likes

What would be the purpose? Kinda confused.roots only make roots, without a stem…but I have seen somone shave the outter wall of a stem to make roots come out further up with clonex. He wrapped the mid part of stem with dirt and newspaper taped it on.

2 Likes

Nope, not true. I’ve seen plants pop a shoot out during late flower from a bare stem area that had been entirely stripped of vegetation. All this does is use that same principle.

The point is an alternative to reveg that will not only have a far higher rate of success when using a plant that was grown in hydro, but also this technique seems to pop out several dozen shoots from one healthy root, according to the info I found. While revegging can also provide a high number of shoots, again, it is far more difficult to reveg a hydro plant.

5 Likes

I’ve never seen it done so I’m not much help but it’s definitely interesting. Maybe once weather gets warmer I can attempt it and see what happens, I love experimenting. Starting with more tops would mean less toppings and faster bigger production.

2 Likes

Yeah, also potentially dozens of clones from a single root.

2 Likes

You’d for sure need perfect conditions, humidity dome, heat pad. Prolly best to make alot of clone cups to better the odds too. Some good cuts sometimes won’t root or just give up.

2 Likes

rhizome devision 100% works for things like black berries or mint. or HOPS…
Not gonna work for Cannabis Sativa buddy.

You can take a stem and lay it horizontally on the ground of things like hydrangeas, roses. it will root and and send out growth like you explained above.

5 Likes

im a bit confused but are you asking about monstercropping?
where you take a cut from a flowering plant
rooit it then reveg it?

1 Like

nope.

3 Likes

im taking a seat and rolling a joint i wanna see how thisgoes im curious now :eye: :eye: :eye:

3 Likes

yeah man, when i saw this post i had the exact same reaction!

1 Like

im guessing the screenshot and not this one
so are you fishing or you gonna take a dive?

1 Like

“cloning a plant in late flower without revegging” is the idea to clone the DNA at that point? Why not tissue culture?

You can root a leaf, but it won’t grow branches. I’m skeptical but totally here to be shown what’s what

1 Like

lol yeah, sorry. i talk in riddles sometimes. i mean the one in the screenshot.

I have a dominion g f2 I didn’t clone and I have some serious regrets about it. I’m gonna try every method I can to keep her, but she’s in week 5 in DWC and reveg is sort of a long shot with hydro IME.

1 Like