Can you Clone a Mature Branch?

This will sound like an ignorant question, I’m sure, but I am new and learning…

Is it possible to clone a branch from a plant that has already provided buds? Like after harvesting it, stick it in some water or dirt and start another plant? I’ve been wondering.

UPDATE:

I attempted to root the branches left after harvesting my plant… carefully removed the buds leaving as many leaves as possible, cut the stem at an angle and used some clonex, but they did not produce any roots. Guess I did something wrong.

Anyway, thank you to everyone to gave advice. We can close this thread now.

4 Likes

Leave some green on the plant, stick it under 24/0, wait quite a long time and you’ll get a reveg.

3 Likes

Not sure about cloning but I believe it is possible using tissue culture…

1 Like

Many here have re-veg a plant that has provided bud after harvest, but like @Foreigner said you need to leave some of the leaves and smaller branches so the plant can photosynthesize. My Gobbstopper mom is a re-veg and it took about a month for her to produce new growth. If you already cut the stock of your plant and are trying to get a branch to root, it may work but I bet it will take a long time, I am no expert on this by no means. I am sure other will chime in on this topic that may have done this.

4 Likes

I think the more budsites and growth you can leave on a reveg the faster it will go but defiantly do able!

8 Likes

I mentioned that I’m new… right?

I don’t even know what “under 24/0” means. I don’t know all the lingo and abbreviations.

4 Likes

This would be referring to the light cycle, 24 hours of light and 0 hours of darkness.

Other common light cycles include 12/12, or 16/8. In each example the same On/Off convention applies.

3 Likes

Just to see, I poked some cuttings from a plant, taken from an early flowering plant and stuck them in the pot of the donar plant.
About 3 weeks later, I see most did not die. So I remove all of them, and few did not make it, but a few are rooted wee bud sticks, and are now under 24/7 light to start the slow process of going into back reveg.
It is not a great way to clone, but the cuts did, MUCH TO MY SURPRISE start root!!
I’m not sure if I have a snap of them recently.

Not claiming this a good way, just a way, a silly idea, I had to kill off, sort of, since it worked.

3 Likes

It works. But it takes a long time and success rate will be lower, so take multiple if you must.

It is better to “re-veg” a rooted mature plant than take a mature clone, but it can be done.

When I say a long time, it could take 2+ months before you have new growth on the clone, possibly longer to have enough normal vegetative growth to take another clone from.

It’s really a patience game.

10 Likes

If the plant is so far along you are harvesting, I would just reveg the “stump” and not try to take clones from a late flowering plant. Leave some material on the plant and just reveg that even if you just veg it long enough to take a few healthy clones off it once it has kicked out of its funk.

5 Likes

Exactly right.

2 Likes

@Reithel…I have rooted branches( sucker shoots) that have been harvested, provided there are still new female flowers( white hairs) being formed, which means the plant has not hit senescence yet. Senescence is the stage where the plant begins dying.
Leave as many leaves as you can possibly leave on the branch, cutting off only the buds and even leaving the little leaves next to them if possible. Also leave the tips of the branch(es, )buds included. This will be your growing shoot and will be the first place New Growth will form. Not absolutely necessary but it helps… Leaving all the buds on a branch I have also gotten one to root but all the buds begin to die and rot under a humidity Dome and that caused issues. It’s best to remove most of the buds first . Like others have said, revegetating the plant is more desireable. Give the plant a long lights on cycle… 24 hours of light for something this far into its life cycle . Also give the plant a handful of earthworm castings or some other nitrogen source to let it know it should be growing leaves instead of flowers.

3 Likes

@webeblzr it’s funny you mentioned that… I topped a plant and decided that I hated seeing the pieces in the trash… poked holes in the plant’s dirt and stuck them down in the holes, put a little water over them… after a few days of looking droopy, all four clippings made new plants! I was shocked! They’re all flowering now (and have all provided at least one clone… circle of life… wow).

1 Like

@Reithel I know this NOT a good cloning way, I was going to just trim back some undergrowth, at the transition, and got that silly idea to just poke them in and never expected them to make it. But now that some are, I’ll see what they do and for how long.

And man, do not feel your questions are stupid, ask away, and to hell with the fool that says, man that is a stupid question, as they just showed you, you do not need their answer.

1 Like

Always always amazes me how much plants want to LIVE…
Even a little broken off branch or with certain plants like a succulent-even a leaf can give rise to new life…
Give them the right conditions and they will prosper

5 Likes

@Skyf I am glad you mentioned that… the first time I ever tried to bend a branch to “train” it, I went too far and cracked it… I was broken hearted… felt like I injured my own child… but a friend said to wrap it with some medical tape and make sure the weight is supported, and that branch survived and gave me several glorious buds!!! “Life will out” seems like a goofy saying but it is SO true.

4 Likes

I’m sure it is possible but I’m not recommend anything like that unless your a prob and even still it. Low % but possibly as long as the branch got few green still on it than yes

1 Like

I agree!
Not only does the plant have to focus on regenerating vegetative growth.
It has to do it without roots.
It better be a healthy branch treated just right.
I personally have not had any luck with this approach.
But I am not the type to baby a plant.

1 Like

@vernal , @shag

Thanks for the pointers. I figured it would take a really long time. My friend harvested a plant last fall and took the branch-less plant and set it in the garage so the soil could be used in the outdoor garden this spring… after THREE MONTHS of sitting out there through a cold Missouri winter, with no water being added and no light except the occasional overhead bulb… the silly thing sprouted again!

I begged him to let me baby it and see if I could bring it back, but he didn’t want to be bothered with something that would obviously take so long. So now the clump of dirt with empty plant is sitting in the yard waiting to have tomatoes planted in it…

I’d love to see it defy all odds and sprout again!!!

It rained today…. :grin::smiling_imp:

2 Likes

@Tejas cut off a malawi gold branch or two and now has a couple extra plants. Rooted them right in with the plants and did so on 12 12 cycle I believe…

4 Likes