Sebring's Perpetual No-till Living Organics

I’m gonna make one one sec

10 Likes

They did arrive and I’ve got them ready to go into starter trays in a week!

I don’t think I’ve looked, but there needs to be one.

YES!

8 Likes

I agree. I have the Sunviva, too. I’ll be putting them in to germ before long.

1 Like

That’s where mycorrhizae fungi are handy. Both the host plan/tree and the fungi create a symbiotic relationship by fusing the roots with the mycelium hyphae. The fungus extracts minerals that the tree can’t “digest” and in return the tree “feeds” the fungus with its own sugars present in the sap.

Don’t forget that plants get their energy through photothinsesis, mushrooms can’t do this, so they have to break up matter looking for sugars.
There can also be an indirect beneficial situation when you have a saprophytic species like the Oyster Mushroom Pleurothus ostreatus that break down matter into something that the plants can use to their benefit. That’s why fungi are so important. Without them there would be no soil just rubbish and piles of dead matter once bacteria had their share.

I have yet to find a fungus or fungi that could be paired up make the perfect crop :grin:.

Image the following:
@Sebring after all his hard work of experiments and seed runs ends up with shitload of vegetable matter. Instead of mulching he can dry it like straw. Once dried he can go to the nearest coffee shop and local restaurants and gather spent coffee and on the way he collects some old cardboard boxes. He gets home and pasteurizers the straw. Once it cools down he mixes all the ingredients and last but not least the spawn. Wrap it all up and protect from dry air and sun so the mycelium can take over. He can do this in a laundry basket or other vessel as long as ther can be some breathing. Alternatively this mix can be buried in the ground where you wish.
In the case of the basket if moisture is ideal, it should take about a couple of weeks for the mushroom to take over the media. If you mist the basket pinning should start and you mushrooms start forming. Once the media is spent which usually happens after 3 flushes (think crops) of mushrooms you end up with a yummy substrate for your plants.

Have a look at Paul Stamets books about mushroom cultivation. He has many books about mushrooms: gourmet and medicinal, magic mushrooms, permaculture and mycoremediation.

There is also a guy called RogerRabit that has a series of videos in which he shows how to prepare the above Tek and other ones. I think it’s called “Let’s do mushrooms” sorry I’m a little rusty when it comes to names :laughing::grin:

9 Likes

I have to put the time in to learn this. I have a space I want to use for indoor greens and maybe a mushroom room, or whatever space it would take to run crops one after the other. Thanks for the info., book props, vid tip and the link, heh. You explained all of that very well.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. With information comes great responsibility to pass it onto others.
Mushrooms are a fascination of mine. Edible or not. :grin: Here is a photo of mine of the famous Amanita muscaria

21 Likes

Thanks for the like Mr @Howard.crane flattered :grin:

4 Likes

Thats a toadstool, not a mushroom technically :wink:

2 Likes

Correction… Toadstool is a more common name folklore term.

The correct term is fruiting body of the mushroom. Because the actual mushroom mycelium runs under the foliage and ground, in this case a mycorrhizae fungus called Amanita muscaria. It forms a symbiotic relationship with the oaks that proliferate in the area where I took the photo.

Mushroom mycelium is to a pear tree, like the fruiting bodies are to a pear.

:hugs::wink:

3 Likes

That’s interesting.

In the UK the difference is one you can eat, is a mushroom, and cant eat, is a toadstool. So probably derived from people trying to define toxic and non toxic fungi :slight_smile:

I thought it was the North American, fungi equivalent, of Turtles and Tortoises. As I see everything here called a mushroom, as well as tortoises being called Turtles lol.

6 Likes

I know, it’s a big problem when people start mixing things… :wink::grin: which reminds me that I better stop hijacking @sebring s post… @Shadey if you wish, pm me I can talk about them for days.

5 Likes

Don’t you dare stop.

11 Likes

:grin:ok with your approval it makes things easier

So I guess I can post this very interesting podcast. Part of the bbc4 radio natural histories series. I highly recommend listening.

This episode is dedicated to the Fly Agaric aka Amanita muscaria

This one is about fungi in general.

6 Likes

Btw just another fun fact about mushrooms/fungi

The single largest living organism is a mushroom called Armillaria

11 Likes

Thank you. I’m the guy who keeps wanting to break into this but also have a hard time adding anything new in atm. It’s gonna happen. I love podcasts.

Hope all is well @Sebring. I know you must be busy. I hope to get farther along on repairing and updating this house I bought this year so I can get the gardening thing started more serious. I wish I was 25 again. I love this whole organic life. It should be taught to children starting in kindergarten. peace

9 Likes

Hopefully someday organic farming is taught to all kids.

19 Likes

Agreed. Most kids think food is made at the supermarket. Sad really

4 Likes

I gues it all boils down to necessity… our society as is has no need to resort to that kind of knowledge.

In general what you need is at at arm reach… which then leads to other problems… lack of self satisfaction, ultimately depression.

That’s why it’s so important to work with your hands. You reap what you sow. The satisfaction of collecting your efforts is amazing. I guess that s something that we all share here. Nothing like smoking your own homegrown…

Most people waste food and don’t appreciate their ingredients because they don’t realise what went into rearing the animal or efforts to keep a crop.

It’s all expendable. Easy comes easy goes

10 Likes

What about Camellia seed oil? Ive heard people say that when combined with dmso they were feeling the effects transdermaly.

2 Likes

Almost anything combined with DMSO will trandermalize.

2 Likes