Motaco Grows in Colorado

Hello! I am Motaco. I was a member here in the old days and I am really glad to be back on Overgrow again after all of these years. Overgrow was a really big deal to me when I first found it around ‘02. In those days I went by “420 guerrilla”, and I was a teenaged pothead trying to grow seeds from Mexican brick weed in the woods behind my house in Louisiana. It was the early days of the internet, and I was amazed to find a community of cannabis growers. It blew my mind. These almost mythological counter culture figures. Pot growers! They were coming together for the first time to share ideas, techniques, and genetics with each other. They posted pictures of big grows full of bud like I had never seen in my life.

I was enamored with OG and I spent a lot of time talking to older heads. I created the original “Ultimate Sativa Thread” so I could talk to old timers about the legends like Panama Red and Acapulco Gold. I will be damned if it hasn’t been almost twenty years since then. Now I am an old head telling old stories.

Those old timers did in fact help me learn to grow, and I hope I can help some others learn to grow too. Here are some pics from my last garden. About ten years ago I got some very nice looking Mexican brick weed and I couldn’t help but pop some seeds from it. It turned out to be an old school pure sativa that flowered for over four months. It had giant feather weight buds that were full of foxtails. The effect was very mellow and clean head high without a hint of Indica. I would love to have grown it under natural sunlight.

53 Likes

Awesome introduction. Welcome back. Hope to see ya posting some future grows.

7 Likes

Here is some of the brick weed it came out of, and a few close up shots of the buds.

28 Likes

Several years ago I moved to Colorado. I enjoy the access to quality herb that the dispensaries provide me, but I wasn’t growing until I popped some bag seeds on my windowsill and realized how much I missed my plants. Now slowly but surely I am getting back into the swing of things.

I haven’t grown bud in going on ten years, and I am coming back to a scene I could never have imagined. Grow shops, clones, dispensaries, feminized seeds, auto flowers, etc. It is a whole new world. I really don’t know where to begin. I used to mix my own soil that I bought from a feed and seed shop in a little country town.

When I left Louisiana I left all of my limited seed stock behind. I luckily have been gifted some rare Mexican and Mexican hybrid seed stock by a generous member to restart my grow.

I began by growing Mexican bagseed and I feel it is fitting that I have some Mexican weed to start with again.

Here are my plants. Mexican Sativa x Krishna Kush. Roughly a week old, give or take a day or two between plants. Normally they are under a small LED light, but I I give them fresh air and natural sunlight when the weather is nice.

24 Likes

So you’re name is MotaCO not MoTaco I guess then :smiley:

Fellow Coloradoan. I’ll be tuned in for sure! Gotta love good old Mexican Mota.

Best of luck with your new garden and welcome back.

Stay hazed
Jake

13 Likes

Lol. I never noticed that. If I were as witty as you I would have spelled it that way!

7 Likes

Hey @Motaco welcome to Over Grow 2.0!!

That is wild looking sativa! Glad to see you setting up a grow log.
I’ll pull up a chair for this show.
:couch_and_lamp: :popcorn: :movie_camera:

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Mota in Colorado can easily lead to mo’ tacos. It can be two things! We do not have green chile here; I miss it. And Tacos Rapidos off Federal in Denver…maaaan that place was great.

Man, @Motaco I love seeing Mexican narrowleaf done right. It’s really pretty decent when it isn’t seeded, baled, bricked, and sat in a hot truck for 6 months. Last year I grew an Acapulco x Oaxacan that was pretty rockin’, looked a lot like yours. Good stuff.

8 Likes

@Motaco hey WB , nice pics and some BIG bud there

1 Like

My plants are about two weeks old today. I have begun using “seed starter soil” which I really like. I always used regular potting soil to start my seeds, but I tried the new starter soil and I like it better. I usually transplant in the second week into the potting soil mix, but with these plants I have noticed some premature yellowing. I believe I will stay with the seed starter mix, but give it some EWC (earth worm casting) tea around day ten.

I also noticed some damage to the tips of a few leaves that became necrotic. I panicked and assumed there was fungus or something. After thinking about it a bit more I believe I simply manhandled the leaves when I was drunk one night. I was rubbing a few leaves to try and get a smell and I think I damaged the tender leaves, then the intense sun cooked the damaged tissue. Whoops! Anyway the problem has not progressed any further. Growers error on that issue.

I have culled a few plants for slow growth, leaving me with five different plants. Three of these I will take cuttings from. They have the vigor and growth structure worth keeping. They have now been replanted into Fox Farms soil. I expect them to show sex in the next two weeks.

11 Likes

Week three. They should be showing sex any day now. They have a classic weed smell. Musty and skunky. I cover the roots so the light doesn’t harm them, which isn’t shown in the picture. Keeping the roots cool is very important, and exposing plastic pots to sunlight can cook your roots. Keep your roots shaded.

For a grow this small I just shade them with towels.

7 Likes

That’s the reason I sought out light colored containers and grow bags for my container garden, though they aren’t cannabis. White rose planters aren’t cheat either.

2 Likes

Week 4. Males and females now starting to show. My best plant and most a stinky is a male. No worries there, I am looking forward to making seeds again. The other three I believe are female. They are still quite young, but I believe they are female.

Here they are, starting with the stud.
Going to be a breeder.

Next we have A2. The most sativa leaning female. A little taller and lankier, than the others.

A3 is shorter, with tighter internodes, slightly more Indica leaf pattern.

Last but not least is B1. It’s vigor was directly responsible for the culling of several other plants. It is the youngest, but it’s vigor allowed it to catch up with the rest. I thought for sure this would be a male, but appears to be a female. Wider leaves, thicker stems, and the most Indica looking of the bunch.

7 Likes

Week 5. Well, life is full of ups and downs. I was only expecting one or maybe two females and instead I have three very nice females, as well as a nice male to breed with. However in an unexpected turn I have some new bills to deal with before I can buy a new grow light. It’s only temporary, and in the meantime I believe I will be taking cuttings, and turning these plants into small bushes. They need to be repotted ASAP, but I simply haven’t had time. I am also running out of space for my tiny light!

My three females

My sativa pheno. Very nice and bushy

The dense sativa. Shorter, bushier, but very promising for indoor growing hopefully.

The most wide leaf pheno

11 Likes

Looking beautiful! I am totally with you on the delays and roller coaster of life interfering with the plants. My plants ended up growing right into the light before I could even put my tent together, and they were much wider than the light would spread. I decided Up potting was easiest way to deal with the nutrient deficiency that was starting, that way I didn’t even have to feed or water for a bit.
At least you haven’t gotten to the point where you had to cut your plants in half so they wouldn’t overgrow your tent during the stretch

2 Likes

These pics are a bit old. They have since been repotted and topped. I want to keep reliable updates so I share these pics for informative purposes. These plants have be turned into moms, with the intention of taking clones from them rather than flowering directly. They have been defoliated and topped, encouraging bushy growth intended for cuttings.

Quite simply I am broke, and biding time until I have money for a stronger grow light. It shouldn’t be terribly much longer. By the next update they will be little bushes, and I will probably begin a small perpetual grow using clones from these plants. I wish I could grow these bushes into full size, but smell concerns dictate I keep this grow much smaller.

8 Likes

Keeping regular updates. This week got very cold, with ugly grey weather. I should have a new light in the next couple of weeks and that is becoming increasingly necessary as my plants are overgrowing their space right now.

I was glad to put them in some natural light again today. The cold weather makes my closet surprisingly cold, even with the light running 24/7. Between lower temps and the transplanting and trimming they have had a rough week. I really need to build them a little box and work out a permanent setup. I am looking forward to it, but I have had more pressing priorities.

Stay tuned. I am going to flower these things one day. I promise.

These are the keeper mommas. Two different phenos. Both sativa leaning. One is very branchy and a bit taller. The other has a much denser profile. I think it will make denser and hopefully heavier yielding buds.

The other mom is by far the most skunky plant. More Indica. It’s not growing as fast because the sativa moms are taking up all the space under the light. The Indica pheno, and my male plant are both relegated to being on the edge of the light at the moment.

The male

7 Likes

Still just biding time. Me and the mothers. I will start taking clones any day now.

6 Likes

It’s been quite a while since my last update. I haven’t had the time or money to build my grow like I wanted to, but that is life. I will have to build it up slowly, but perhaps that is best anyway. I need to see how much the crop smells so it will be best to start off small.

I intend to keep some mothers alive among other vegetables in a small section of my closet, and build a small light proof grow box for flowering the buds on the other side of my closet.

I have taken clones of all of these plants, and have decided to trim and flower the Indica mom. It has just entered 12/12. I need to see how much smell there is, and I also need time to put my grow together. I don’t have enough money to just buy everything at once unfortunately.

The other moms and papa are still just waiting.
I will eventually have a stronger light to use. I have purchased a new light that seems comparable to a 250w HPS and I will be flowering the Indica mom under it until I build a more permanent flower box.

9 Likes

Hey @Motaco welcome back, just found your thread. I’ve been collecting brick seeds from different pounds that my dude said were good. With all the cheap weed in OK the brick days are about over here. And it’s now legal in Mexico so that probably has something to do with the transition I’m seeing RN.
Look forward to seeing more of your posts.

1 Like