“Seed Breeder” discussion/opinion

Could this be the reason to the higher thc??
Hormone imbalance in the plant maybe???
Or stress triggered potency??
Moreso the fact that lineage has stress indicators maybe???
(ie, a herm could very well be an adaptation to certain natural (or unnatural) situations ;rather than a definitive gender indicator of the plant.?)

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but the hormonal imbalance that are creating herms are a polygenic trait and that gives us a range to work with. As I see it, the main problem with this is that polygenic are not easy to work with and accurately predict based on simplified mendelian models. To be able to combat this problem once and for all we need to look into the genes of the plants we are using for breeding, until then we can only test, cross and hope for the best. In polygenic traits, it’s not unusual for (stable + stable = partly unstable) and I bet every breeder have come across this phenomenon.

Pz :v:t2:

8 Likes

SE Asian lines are not XY, there is only XX… only females.
This sex determination system is called X to Autosome
Male flowers are produced by plants that reach a certain threshold of genes known as sex-det-1
and over another higher threshold they will only produce male flowers.
The only way to remove intersex plants from these lines is by feminising them, because all the ‘males’ and herms are females in the first place.
(it’s complicated and i struggle to fully understand it myself… but it is what it is)
There is a grower called GMT over at IC who has posted some good explanations of this.
VG

9 Likes

This is absolutely fascinating information @VerdantGreen! Massive respect to the legend GMT over at Icmag! Looking forward to checking those posts and explanations out. Many blessings and much love

2 Likes

Thanks mate! yes it makes my brain hurt… but it explains the fact that a lot of those genetics give you a much higher proportion of Females to ‘Males’
VG :wave:

3 Likes

That made me real curious, so I searched for it, here’s the link for future reference:

That’s actually VG’s LT thread (edit: wrong) Is that why you choose the S1 path with LT @VerdantGreen ?

GMT is citing this two papers about this issue:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/291811564_Identification_of_QTLs_for_sex_expression_in_dioecious_and_monoecious_hemp_Cannabis_sativa_L

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/346660844_Genetic_Architecture_of_Flowering_Time_and_Sex_Determination_in_Hemp_Cannabis_sativa_L_A_Genome-Wide_Association_Study

2 Likes

Hi !
It’s actually the general LT thread at IC, and first off, i don’t think Lemon Thai has the x to Autosome determination… that is just where the discussion happened. (LT is more a Hawaiian, but i did only get girls from Bodhi’s pack, the Derg Corra ones seem straight m/f))…
I made S1s initially because i only had one plant and i wanted to find out about it (S1s are a good way to see) . There is a thread in my forum over there for my m/f LT repro and we will have to see how the offspring from the come out.
Thanks for posting the papers
VG.

5 Likes

uh, sorry I’ve been confusing threads it seems, too early for a wake’n’bake probably :@

1 Like