Seed Run Co-op: Goroka Highland, Papua New Guinea

I’m wondering how they will do as well! Have you gotten them started yet? Must be time for that there by now, yes?

3 Likes

They’re doing good. They’ve been at like 9-10 hours of darkness / day for a week or two, as they’re inched closer to 12/12. Tonight will be something like 11 off.

Going against my own rule for purebred sativas, of only flowering clones, they’re about two feet tall as of today. They’ve got at least 4 feet of vertical headspace to run through before things start getting precarious. They could theoretically expand six feet straight up, but I can’t imagine light would penetrate deep enough to maintain that without additional side lighting.

Forgive the lack of photos. I’ve been a lazy pos after work. It’s not even a strenuous job, it just…

19 Likes

Had trouble getting a good perspective to show size without taking her out. The branch that the lighter is resting on is halfway up the plant, and about 3 bic lighters in length. From that same point to the crown apex is about 4 bic lengths.
You can also see a couple examples of the fan leaves blocking the new growth. After a lot of thought, my best guess is the UV exposure in the Goroka Highlands is so high that the plants protect their new growth with foliage to prevent sunburn.

Has anyone else ever seen this phenomenon, and have a picture of the sunleaves pushing the secondary growth out of the way and shading them?

29 Likes

That’s interesting for sure. I like the theory. I’m not sure Ive had any do that exactly. Very odd.

3 Likes

I bet the secondary growth is about to stretch past sun leaf by a foot or two. They know their place.

3 Likes

Great theory. You may be dead on. Has anyone noticed this in Colombian Highland landraces? Similar latitude and altitude…

1 Like

:japanese_ogre: :herb: :candle: “Mrmrmrrrr…Ssm-m-moooooooke mm-mmeeeeeee…”

Tryin’ to smoke itself! Damn! :laughing: :papua_new_guinea:

Any distinct stem smells?

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Removed a couple sunleaves the other day and it smelled like straight orange juice! Don’t know to what extent that relates to what the bud will be.

8 Likes

Whole lotta shit I can’t say I’ve ever tried lol count me in looks like it could do some monsters outdoors

2 Likes

Dude if they’ll finish outdoors for you it’ll be an experience and a half. Would have to start light-dep in June and keep it up until October in New England. lmfao.

I truly believe the vast majority of people wont have a snowballs chance in hell of harvesting these, so I’m doing a couple crosses as well to make em more approachable. The herijuana is one of the shortest flowering lines I hold, it has a similar shape tp the goroka, and a perfect bud structure if one is attempting to tame a pure sativa. I’ve no idea where the flowering time will land in the F1s. My best guess would be square on 100 days.

6 Likes

I have some Heri pollen that pedro sent me… :thinking:

I’d be doing mine inside for sure. But, I have a large enough space and I’m in the process of geting the environment down, since I have some other sativas I want to be able to grow. It’s most likely way to dry around here to get it to grow outside anyway.

2 Likes

Yes. That’s what I plan this year. I made 77 days this past summer. This year I’m trying something over 100 days. It’s only 3 extra weeks. It’s either that or never get to try it. They have auto light dep greenhouses now right? Small like those hoop house garages? Last yr was by hand. In and out everyday at the same time. What a pain in the ass. … but totally worth it lol! Those plants are getting so big. Using the Fibonacci sequence; it looks like you’ll be grown out of yr house in two more months! How many guestimated months left? This may sound drastic, but have you considered chopping the plants in half? I have done this plenty of times with my own plants when they have gotten too large too early. However with one variety, which in retrospect May indeed have been a landrace, when I chopped the plant in half it completely stopped growing. It hated it. Any experience attempting such a thing? My chops were during the veg stage by the way on all but the one that quit growing, which was chopped in half about 2 weeks into flower out of necessity. Chopping plants in half is something I’ve been doing for years with my males when I’m not ready for pollen. It takes them about 3 weeks normally to produce pollen again the first time and less time each additional chop. It probably is not a viable option with such a long flowering strain but I figured I’d mention it. And you can always clone the tops as well…

6 Likes

Omg. Yeah, I tried it with the Meuang Lao and they all nearly committed suicide. I think the difference in transpiration was too much for the little plants to manage. I would rather flower clones than try that again.

I’m going to bite the bullet and let em fly, tho. They’re not as scary as I’m making them out in my head. They’re still at like just a couple minutes shy of twelve hours of darkness each night, and not really done transitioning out of veg, but they’re only like a quarter cubic meter. They can double in size almost three times before things get tricky.

I forget how long Azure flowered, let me check. Hmmmm… That last picture of his I posted is about two months into flower, and I want to say he went two more months after that… iirc. Let’s say 16 weeks from today we’ll start looking for signs that they’re ready to go. So yeah, like first week of July hopefully. Any later, it might suck for bud density to finish in 90F+ and 70%+ RH

5 Likes

Nice. I’d like to see them big! So oranges on the stem rub. Never smelled that before. Sounds great! How’s the smell when you open the tent ( tent, right?) Hopefully those buds will be filled out before the bad humidity hits. I haven’t looked on a map to see the Goroka highlands. It must be a humid region though. My grandfather fought in New Guinea during WW2. I like to picture him relaxing with this same landrace.

7 Likes

I probably could. lol I did harvest my diesels in December last year.

6 Likes

@Meesh I would love to see that. I remember those strawberry diesel, I’ve never seen anything so crazy in my life. Lmfao.

Cancelled my contract yesterday, three weeks early, so I’mma spend some time defoliating these girls. (Not sure if they higher-ups will hold it against me when it’s time to sign up next year, but fuck em.)
These Goroka have secondary growth coming out of their secondary growth!
A bic lighter is no longer a valid measure of perspective.

24 Likes

They look especially happy bro. You’re in the warmer part of Oz, right? Not that far from PNG? seems like I googled the area when you first started the thread.

I have a great space downstairs with tall ceilings but I need more work to get the environment under control. I have lots of other nice haze and sativa that I plan on growing when I get it dialed in. I want to make a sativa room for just leaving a handful in for the long haul.

I want to try growing them inside for a long time and then bring outside for the flower and I’d like to try growing some outside all summer and bring inside for a long finish. I’m curious how a sativa would react to a switch from natural to grow lights.

5 Likes

Thank you Mr Goodfellow, that means a lot to me.

Lol, no I’m in New England.

6 Likes

:joy: THAT’S how bad Colorado is!!! :laughing: :santa: :ice_hockey:

LOL

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

We don’t get out much… :upside_down_face:

I guess it’s @slain I was thinking of…